Re: [learningfromeachother] British Council 'Connecting Classrooms' project

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
      Hi Richard,
      First thanks for the gift, i do appreciate greatly and thanks for sharing the information.

      Evelyn and I are in the process of discussing ways of working together, i mean she might be working with us (Centre for African Learning and development), because of her past involvement in the earlier projects like Teacher talking that i initiated in Kenya and knowledge of Kangundo she might take the position of project management and liasing with our partners who have same shared interest on ICT's.

      Regards,

      David N. Mutua
      Programme Director
      Centre for African Learning and Development (CALD) - Kenya
      Returned VSO Volunteer.
      Independent ICT4D and Education Researcher and Practitioner.
      Tel: +254 720 462 559
      E-mail: davenzainga@... or davenzainga@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
        Dear to all,,
        As i am having my last day this at Nyamuga school this
        term ending this year. Am enriched with the
        information and sharing together with teachers and
        children, we have been able to connect an early
        childhood classroom, physically challenged children
        unit and include technology in school.
        Infact Ricardo thanks for the link. Our patron who is
        working with USAID in Nairobi will follow with the
        british coucil on the grant.
        I am leaving for Nairobi on Wednesday.
        Hopefully this is a wonderful link.
        Samwel.

      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
          Dear Ricardo and all,
           Aic Nyakana sec school in Ahero works very close to the deafimpact,this is school the comunity begin 2years  ago.
          They need classrooms and other rooms such us lab etc,is theproject benefiting the high scholl also ?
          They are have abig land for this .
          Thanks.
          TOM OCHUKA.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
            On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:
            > Hi Pam and all
            >
            > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009,
            > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing
            > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan
            > Africa.

            Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.

            > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to
            > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It
            > actually comes with money attached.

            That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
            have to look for additional sources of funding.

            > I wondered whether you knew any schools
            > that might make use of it.

            No shortage.

            > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
            >
            > This page has more detail on how it works.
            >
            > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms_old.htm
            >
            > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They
            > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
            >
            > Ricardo
            >

            > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
            > it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
            > kind to our authors!

            And Children are my nation.
          • ricardoolpc
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
              Hi Ed

              I'd better clarify things a little. The grant isn't just for any
              project, so schools wouldn't be able to spend the grant on computer
              hardware. The British Council has specific aims in mind for
              the 'Connecting Classrooms' project.

              The main page says...

              http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm

              Connecting Classrooms builds lasting partnerships between schools in
              the UK and others around the world. Through these partnerships, the
              programme develops trust and understanding between young people in
              different societies, creating a safer and more connected world for
              the future.

              A list of specific aims is shown on this page...

              http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms-what.htm

              Here's an extract from that page...

              What do the partner schools do?

              All schools involved in Connecting Classrooms will:

              1) work with partner schools on collaborative curriculum projects,
              which enable learners to interact across geographical boundaries to
              enhance their understanding of each other's societies, languages and
              cultures.

              2) receive professional development for teachers and school leaders,
              which builds capacity to support international partnerships and to
              lead the school in an international environment

              3) be eligible for International School Award accreditation, which
              recognises the school's commitment to forming international
              partnerships and developing global citizens.

              Aim 2), about professional development sounds quite interesting. I'm
              sure a lot of schools could benefit from that. The main aims,
              though, seem to be increasing social contacts between schools and
              expanding students horizons.

              On the main page, each title is a clickable link, to pages with more
              detail...

              --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Cherlin"
              <echerlin@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...>
              wrote:
              > > Hi Pam and all
              > >
              > > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in
              Spring 2009,
              > > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and
              developing
              > > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-
              Saharan
              > > Africa.
              >
              > Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.
              >
              > > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years,
              > > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on
              resources. It
              > > actually comes with money attached.
              >
              > That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
              > have to look for additional sources of funding.
              >
              > > I wondered whether you knew any schools
              > > that might make use of it.
              >
              > No shortage.
              >
              > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
              > >
              > > This page has more detail on how it works.
              > >
              > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-
              classrooms_old.htm

              > > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few
              years. They
              > > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
              > >
              > > Ricardo
              > >

              > > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC
              DOMAIN unless
              > > it explicitly states otherwise
              http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
              > > kind to our authors!