British Council 'Connecting Classrooms' project

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008

      Hi Pam and all

      I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009, that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It actually comes with money attached. I wondered whether you knew any schools that might make use of it.

      http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm

      This page has more detail on how it works.

      http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms_old.htm

      It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.

      Ricardo

    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
        Hi Richard,
        First thanks for the gift, i do appreciate greatly and thanks for sharing the information.

        Evelyn and I are in the process of discussing ways of working together, i mean she might be working with us (Centre for African Learning and development), because of her past involvement in the earlier projects like Teacher talking that i initiated in Kenya and knowledge of Kangundo she might take the position of project management and liasing with our partners who have same shared interest on ICT's.

        Regards,

        David N. Mutua
        Programme Director
        Centre for African Learning and Development (CALD) - Kenya
        Returned VSO Volunteer.
        Independent ICT4D and Education Researcher and Practitioner.
        Tel: +254 720 462 559
        E-mail: davenzainga@... or davenzainga@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
          Dear to all,,
          As i am having my last day this at Nyamuga school this
          term ending this year. Am enriched with the
          information and sharing together with teachers and
          children, we have been able to connect an early
          childhood classroom, physically challenged children
          unit and include technology in school.
          Infact Ricardo thanks for the link. Our patron who is
          working with USAID in Nairobi will follow with the
          british coucil on the grant.
          I am leaving for Nairobi on Wednesday.
          Hopefully this is a wonderful link.
          Samwel.

        • tom ochuka
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 17, 2008
            Dear Ricardo and all,
             Aic Nyakana sec school in Ahero works very close to the deafimpact,this is school the comunity begin 2years  ago.
            They need classrooms and other rooms such us lab etc,is theproject benefiting the high scholl also ?
            They are have abig land for this .
            Thanks.
            TOM OCHUKA.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
              On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:
              > Hi Pam and all
              >
              > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in Spring 2009,
              > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and developing
              > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-Saharan
              > Africa.

              Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.

              > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years, to
              > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on resources. It
              > actually comes with money attached.

              That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
              have to look for additional sources of funding.

              > I wondered whether you knew any schools
              > that might make use of it.

              No shortage.

              > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
              >
              > This page has more detail on how it works.
              >
              > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms_old.htm
              >
              > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few years. They
              > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
              >
              > Ricardo
              >

              > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless
              > it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
              > kind to our authors!

              And Children are my nation.
            • ricardoolpc
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 19, 2008
                Hi Ed

                I'd better clarify things a little. The grant isn't just for any
                project, so schools wouldn't be able to spend the grant on computer
                hardware. The British Council has specific aims in mind for
                the 'Connecting Classrooms' project.

                The main page says...

                http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm

                Connecting Classrooms builds lasting partnerships between schools in
                the UK and others around the world. Through these partnerships, the
                programme develops trust and understanding between young people in
                different societies, creating a safer and more connected world for
                the future.

                A list of specific aims is shown on this page...

                http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms-what.htm

                Here's an extract from that page...

                What do the partner schools do?

                All schools involved in Connecting Classrooms will:

                1) work with partner schools on collaborative curriculum projects,
                which enable learners to interact across geographical boundaries to
                enhance their understanding of each other's societies, languages and
                cultures.

                2) receive professional development for teachers and school leaders,
                which builds capacity to support international partnerships and to
                lead the school in an international environment

                3) be eligible for International School Award accreditation, which
                recognises the school's commitment to forming international
                partnerships and developing global citizens.

                Aim 2), about professional development sounds quite interesting. I'm
                sure a lot of schools could benefit from that. The main aims,
                though, seem to be increasing social contacts between schools and
                expanding students horizons.

                On the main page, each title is a clickable link, to pages with more
                detail...

                --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Cherlin"
                <echerlin@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...>
                wrote:
                > > Hi Pam and all
                > >
                > > I came across this project by The British Council, starting in
                Spring 2009,
                > > that aims to link up clusters of 9 schools in the UK and
                developing
                > > countries worldwide, including Nigeria and other parts of Sub-
                Saharan
                > > Africa.
                >
                > Thank you. I have been looking for such organizations.
                >
                > > Each cluster receives a grant of £15,000 per year for 3 years,
                > > fund projects, including travel. So, it's not a drain on
                resources. It
                > > actually comes with money attached.
                >
                > That isn't enough for OLPC XOs for all of the students, so we will
                > have to look for additional sources of funding.
                >
                > > I wondered whether you knew any schools
                > > that might make use of it.
                >
                > No shortage.
                >
                > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-classrooms.htm
                > >
                > > This page has more detail on how it works.
                > >
                > > http://www.britishcouncil.org/learning-connecting-
                classrooms_old.htm

                > > It's already been running in some parts of the world for a few
                years. They
                > > are just rolling it out worldwide in 2009.
                > >
                > > Ricardo
                > >

                > > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC
                DOMAIN unless
                > > it explicitly states otherwise
                http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be
                > > kind to our authors!