Thinking about the state of our lab

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17, 2006
      Markus, Yes I'm thinking about overviewing this last year, and more
      importantly, writing about our upcoming year. For this reason I am asking
      for us to right about our own dreams for 2007, what we'd like to accomplish
      and how our lab can help. This is a great time to influence the direction of
      our lab. Thank you to Tom Ochuka, Pamela McLean, Edward Cherlin, Benoit
      Couture for responding to my request:
      And I will also cull older letters from our leaders. I want to emphasize our
      "culture of investigation" and help us help each other make progress in
      engaging and answering our investigatory questions.

      Also, for the World Social Forum - and other occassions - I would like to
      have a small booklet that would present our leaders and their working groups
      (or other venues) with descriptions of their work at our lab, their direction
      in the coming year, how they are helping include more people. Here's a list
      of people I think we should definitely feature, and let me know if you'll be
      active next year and we should include you!:
      - Andrius Kulikauskas
      - Markus Petz
      - Benoit Couture
      - Jeff Buderer
      - Janet Feldman
      - Dante Gabryell Monson
      - John Rogers
      - Pamela McLean
      - Samwel Kongere
      - Steve Bosserman
      - Franz Nahrada
      - Maria Agnese Giraudo
      - Eluned Hurn
      - James Ferguson
      - George Christian Jeyaraj
      - Awne Abuzant
      - Tomas Cepaitis
      - Zenonas Anusauskas
      - Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
      - Helmut Leitner
      - Christine Ax
      - David Ellison-Bey
      And there are certainly more, this is a minimum. Let us know! Write your
      thoughts for the coming year!

      Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

      ---------------------------------------
      Markus Petz:
      a guess you'll be doing another "state of the lab" report?

      As was done last year. SOmething Eric Schneider (one
      of our indpendent thinkers) does is a state of PNYV
      report (like this), and then a time line for what is
      planned for and hoped in the next year. Maybe
      something similar could be included.

      I send it now coz if you want to send this out in Jan
      it helps to think along these lines (and so make
      notes) as you are wrapping up end of year stuff /
      reviewing. Not after you have been thru all mails and
      then have to go back thru them again!

      markus petz

      RE: [globalvillages] A sketch of the big picture for
      our lab
      --- Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> schrieb:

      ---------------------------------
      Thank you, Sahar, Jeff, Bala, Steve, Markus, Benoit,
      Graham, Thomas,
      Eric, John, William, Varga, John, for starting our new
      year with
      thoughtful interactions.

      Our laboratory, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, serves
      independent
      thinkers around the world. We organize ourselves
      around "open leaders"
      who are openly clarifying their own values, thereby
      creating spaces
      where they and others can grow. As our lab's Founder
      and Direktorius,
      every so often I present "the state of our lab".
      We're enjoying
      wonderful momentum, and just this week I got more
      work, and it looks
      like there is more coming. So I'll simply sketch out
      the big picture,
      and I'll invite us to fill in the details.

      In May, our lab will be eight years old. We're "real"
      enough so that we
      can show what we have done rather than imagine what we
      will do. Last
      year was rough financially (about $10,000 of income),
      but we did get to
      work on exceptional projects: a software tool for
      thinking (transLucid)
      with the help of an Islamic independent thinker!
      (Emad El-Dean
      El-Akehal) for Bjoern Schliebitz and Ton Haarmans; a
      social networking
      system for social entrepreneurs for Kerry Santo of
      Modo Fac Central; a
      video script for Fatbox Films; translation of a wiki
      interface for
      Helmut Leitner; script writing and narration of an
      educational video for
      Rimas Morkunas; a community currency accounting system
      for Becky Booth
      of the Wales Institute for Community Currencies; an
      RSS driven website
      (www.erde.lt) for adult education in global villages
      for Franz Nahrada
      of ERDE and GIVE; an online research project for fair
      trade cocoa
      growers in Ecuador's Amazon for Greg Wolff of
      Chocolate Dividends.

      I'm optimistic (and the year has started well) that
      I'll find more such
      clients, enough to support our lab's activities, and
      ultimately, some
      higher paying work by which I'll pay back my loans
      (about $70,000 now,
      but the interest rates are manageable). These are just
      our lab's
      business projects. Our "thinking out loud" and our
      "open interactions"
      have a much greater impact.

      We've started to write what we've learned about how we
      grow as
      independent thinkers:
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/OurCulture/Welcome
      Special thanks to Franz Nahrada for serving as our
      model. Serving him,
      we've discovered the importance of organizing around
      our "key concepts"
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/KeyConcept
      (sixty people!) and our "investigatory questions"
      (thirty-five!)
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/InvestigatoryQuestion
      We've subsequently found more leaders whose key
      concepts are the hubs
      for our working groups: John Rogers (Cyfranogi), Jeff
      Buderer (Back to
      the Root), Janet Feldman (Holistic Helping), Lucas
      Gonzalez Santa Cruz
      (Mejores Vias) and my own Living By Truth. In this
      way, our lab is
      evolving into an overlapping network of such spaces.

      We're well on our way toward a broader vision of a
      culture for
      independent thinkers.
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/Vision
      Currently, we have about 100 active and 1,000
      supportive participants.
      In 2005, we did not grow much in number, but we did
      grow in depth of
      participation. I tried, where possible, to find other
      groups who might
      share our culture. Instead, our old timers rose to
      the challenge, and
      grew as leaders. Our work together has shown the
      fruitfulness of
      certain basic values: working openly,
      working-in-parallel, inclusivity,
      responsivity, open leadership, active networking, the
      Public Domain,
      independent thinking, and our growth as independent
      thinkers.

      Our lab is still finding its shape. I want to place
      us in the most
      helpful strategic position. I therefore invite us all
      to work towards a
      broader vision: a culture of independent thinkers. If
      our culture might
      grow in depth (so that we are true to ourselves) and
      in width (so that
      we double in number each year), then in 10 years we
      will have 100,000
      active and 1,000,000 supportive participants. We will
      be able to apply
      ourselves to all issues in our own culture and to any
      issue in the rest
      of the world. We will speak our own language of
      ideas, and we will know
      how to engage others as well. We will have a
      distributed country. We
      will be a diaspora with many homelands, some very
      small, and some not so
      small. If 10% of our activity might be in Lithuania,
      then we would be
      the major cultural, social, political influence there.
      This means that
      we would have hundreds of global villages and
      thousands of families
      where a child might grow up as an independent thinker
      and not know any
      better. Or, more typically, we would be "bi-cultural"
      or
      "multi-cultural", able to participate in an
      independent thinkers'
      culture alongside many others.

      I am attracted to this goal. If we might succeed,
      then in a subsequent
      ten years we might arrive at an ethic of independent
      thinkers, with
      100,000,000 active and 1,000,000,000 supportive
      participants, so that
      every person might choose to participate, if they so
      wished. I hope
      that such an ethic might invigorate existing ethics,
      including Agnostic,
      Atheist, Buddhist, Christian, Confuscianist,
      Democratic, Hinduist,
      Humanist, Islamic, Jewish, Scientific, as much as they
      are grounded in
      truth.

      I will write more about what I find especially
      relevant for our lab and
      our culture this coming year. I look forward to our
      thoughts now and later.

      Thank you all for our wonderful energy!

      +370 (5) 264 5950
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Each letter sent to globalvillages@yahoogroups.com
      enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN whenever it does not state
      otherwise. http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
        Dear Edward,

        I read your mail on the connection of schools in the coffee plantation areas and I saying that we are working with Hellen Mahoo of Uyoga in Bagamoyo Tanzania.She going to give us a school in Moshi to connect with one in Dallas. I believe this is going to with our thoughhts for food story.

        By the time we are through with choosing the school we shall inform our forum.
        Hellen Mahoo and many from Uyoga are members of Holistichelping of MS. What criteria do you think w should use in choosing this school?

        Regards,
        Sam.

        --- Andrius Kulikauskas schrieb:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be kind to our authors!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:learningfromeachother-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Samwel Okech kongere
        Nyamuga primary school
        P.O BOX 191,
        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
          Dear Samuel,

          Because of the name of Helen Mahoo that you mention and because of your question: "....what criteria do you think w should use in choosing this school?"   ...I feel the need to bring up the class of Spiritual Hygiene101 that Helen and I got rooted together into, during several chatting sessions, "from out of the blue of the Internet".  See for yourself if perhaps, it could be used as a basic criteria for Health-Education-Correction's settings for the school.

          As you will see, Helen and I get to touch one another in the organic experience of spiritual unity, where our personal whole gets connected into one another's attention and care.  In practice, we get "to make love" beyond distance, gender, race, religion.... Our relationship is a seed that has taken a life of its own, for the betterment of the human race's connectivity into a sustainable future.

          Such "Love-Making apprenticeship" is my view of humanity's life sharing of sustainability and it is my prayer, my aspiration,  my renewal's compass guiding me to where the universal citizenship is meant to bloom in the reality that feeds from the dreams and visions that we are each given to meet upon.  The same personal experience of "Love-Making apprenticeship" has been true for me with Andrius Kulikauskas, Chris Macrae, Jeff Buderer, Janet Fieldman and many others, who allow themselves to be REAL in their dreaming outloud and in their ground activation to reach out to one another's work.
          Thank you all for it all...

          Blessings be with us all...
          Benoit Couture

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/holistiche lping/message/ 502