Phone+USB = Ricardo's idea for Google 10 to the 100th

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2008
      Ricardo, Thank you for sharing your idea for the Google 10 to the 100th
      competition. http://www.project10tothe100.com I shared your letter at
      the PBS Idealab website:
      http://www.pbs.org/idealab/
      about adding USB to cellphones, along with some links I found.

      I invite our comments!

      I also added links there to Kevin Parcell's idea for emergency community
      currency, and Edward Cherlin's for electricity and bandwidth
      infrastructure for the OLPC laptop.

      +1 312 618 3345

      Dear Andrius and all

      I've submitted an entry to the 'Google 10 to the 100th' Competition.
      The idea is for phone manufacturers to add a USB Host Interface to
      cheap, entry-level GPRS phones for developing countries, so they can
      interface to peripheral devices, like full-size USB keyboards,
      printers, cameras, etc.

      http://www.project10tothe100.com/

      The idea is to get mobile phone manufacturers to add a USB Host
      Interface to fairly cheap GPRS mobile phones, so they can control
      peripherals, such as cheap PC Keyboards, flash drives, etc, and more
      expensive devices like printers, where the cost is shared among many
      people in a village, business, school, medical centre, etc.

      With the ability to connect to peripherals, the phone becomes an open,
      exandable system. People can use phones as the heart of a computer
      system, in a similar way to a laptop or PC. They are no longer limited
      to the phone keypad. They can write emails more easily, type messages
      for discussion groups, enter text into web-forms, etc. The ability to
      download information from the web and print it out will benefit the
      wider community, not just the actual phone-owner. It could be useful
      for web-pages, health leaflets, teaching material or anything that
      people currently print using PCs.

      With a USB Host Interface, people can use cheap $5-$10 PC Keyboards,
      etc, that are already available in developing countries. They don't
      need an expensive smart-phone or expensive $60 Bluetooth/Infrared
      Keyboards.

      I suggested adding USB Host capability, for basic text-entry, ahead of
      expensive, luxury features like camera-phone capability.

      The competition doesn't have a prize. It's just for people to submit
      socially-useful ideas that will benefit a lot of people. Google allow
      you to suggest an organization to implement the idea, if it's a
      winner. I suggested they submit the idea to a major phone
      manufacturer, if it's one of the 5 winners.

      Competition details are on the FAQ page. Closing date for entries is
      20th October 2008.

      http://www.project10tothe100.com/faq.html

      100 shortlisted ideas will be published on 27th January 2009.

      Ricardo