Re: [globalvillages] Re: Open Source Ecology/Neo-Subsistence

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2008
      Hello Alex

      Welcome to Minciu Sodas

      I wonder if you are completely new here or if you saw the recent discussion  [globalvillages] Global Swadeshi Dialogues. (I wonder because Marcin and I were both contributing to that thread - so you would got have some idea of my background. I am interested in Marcin's work because of my connection with an eco-project in Nigeria.)

      You and I seem to have various shared interests. I agree with your observations about presenting the same information in different ways for different audiences. It is an ongoing challenge. I would like to know more about your publishing interests. We also share an interest in Drupal, which I was  writing about yesterday at http://learnbydoinguk.blogspot.com/ (in a dairy entry covering the past month and why I had been drawn to Drupal). However you are an expert and I am a complete novice.
      (BTW I appreciated the Salsa videos in your blog too - but that's not really relevant to this email.)

      Ref your comment "
      I'll also declare that I am similarly dissatisfied with the amount of information available," That frustration links in with what I am trying to do with Drupal.  I look forward to reading more from you.

      Pam

      2008/9/10 Alex Rollin <alex.rollin@...>

      I am a bit of a publisher, myself, and new to the list.

      My name is Alex Rollin and I am in this group because of my interest
      in furthering my own understanding and awareness of current efforts
      and the individuals involved in things related to neo-subsistance in
      an effort to make myself more effective as a participating, owning member.

      I have been reviewing Marcin's published work at
      http://openfarmtech.org and http://factorefarm.org , as well as his
      "legacy content" at http://ose.noblogs.org/ .

      While there are virtually endless potential locations to publish
      content, one of the issues I am looking at is the fact that deep, deep
      work like that involved in permaculture and permafacture, as well as
      neo-subsistence, that the work here is, to a certain extent,
      aperspectival. That means that the work looks very different
      depending on the perspective of the viewer, and the fallout is that
      'reports' and 'reporting' are highly dependent on the perspective,
      needs, and understanding of the audience.

      My own experience of the pages listed above is that they are,
      generally, technical and or process oriented in nature, and that there
      are a multitude of valid, additional perspectives that could be used
      to view what is actually happening in the day-to-day affairs on the
      farm.

      The technical and process oriented information, is, however, what
      Marcin has committed to disclosing with regard to the 3 year plan he
      has published. You can read more about that here, btw:
      http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/marcin-jakubowskis-open-farm-the-most-important-social-experiment-in-the-world/2008/01/22

      At any rate, I am just offering my 2 cents, and I'll also declare that
      I am similarly dissatisfied with the amount of information available,
      in general, about everything! :) So, this being a specially
      important area of research for me, I am interested in figuring out
      what exactly I need to know, and how to help in the process of making it.

      Alex Rollin
      http://alexrollin.com