Thank you! Our culture's business opportunities

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2008
      Kofi Thompson, Thank you for your helpful letter which I share with
      several other of our Minciu Sodas laboratory's groups. I will be
      developing the idea of "virtual assistants" (which actually is based on
      conversations with Maria Agnese Giraudo and Sasha Mrkailo from last
      December, and which our Pyramid of Peace http://www.pyramidofpeace.net in
      Kenya made very real.) I will be overcoming the technical hurdles and I
      could use help from software developers and coders. I will write a
      proposal due September 30 for me to travel to Afghanistan, survey their
      marginal Internet access situation and set up such virtual assistants to
      help them. I also note Larry Bock and the San Diego Science Festival are
      encouraging proposals of work
      http://www.sdsciencefestival.com/htmls/getinvolved/jobs.htm and I think
      that is a good opportunity, see also their social networking site
      http://www.mysdscience.com

      Thank you also for sharing our letters with your colleagues at
      www.nabuur.com I should learn and think how we might work together.
      Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +1 312 618
      3345
      ----------------------

      Bless you, Andrius! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Well, you do
      have a point about providing business services of the "virtual assistant"
      type. If that is your strength, then perhaps we must all brainstorm to try
      and evolve a particularly unique business model that will help your lab
      make inroads in that particular field.

      Perhaps I wasn't able to communicate my thoughts properly, Andrius. At
      www.nabuur.com, the "neighbours" (the online volunteers from across the
      globe) join projects (villages) that interest us, and to which we then
      contribute our ideas and help the communities where the projects are
      situated, to successfully implement them.

      If we found a way of proceeding along similar lines here too, we might be
      able to help create wealth for members - who can then donate some of their
      wealth to the lab. Let me use the example of Mr. Otede's ICT centre and
      the many possibilities it has, to illustrate my point.

      I am sure that mobile phones are everywhere in Kenya - both in the urban
      areas and the rural areas. Yet a few years ago it was only a privileged
      few who could afford them. Today they are necessities for even the poorest
      families in the most distant of villages, across Africa. Access to the
      internet, will undergo a similar revolution - and will help so many
      micro-entrepreneurs in Kenya, to prosper in ways.

      Take the craft and art producers for example. A virtual gallery owned by a
      gifted amputee living in a village or slum in Kenya, with real talent,
      could revolutionise his or her life. If we use the www.nabuur.com model,
      we would help this gifted artist set up the virtual gallery.

      Between all of us in your lab, could we not find a way of getting Air
      Jaldine, the provider of the internet service for the Tibetan
      government-in-exile to become joint venture partners with Mr. Otede, to
      provide a similar service in Kenya?

      Surely if we worked in a similar fashion to www.nabuur.com, we could find
      a way of getting a company like Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group, for
      example, to partner them: as part of its corporate social responsibility
      activities for a particular year?

      Most African nations are keen to find such entities to provide rural
      internet access to their people. Go online and do some research to see the
      hunger for such services by African governments

      Your lab could even lobby the Kenyan government to make it a tax-free
      business - seeing as to how Africans generally like to be accommodating
      to foreigners: because of their culture and traditions! I will find and
      post a link to a very nice Swedish gentleman's sustainable lifestyle
      website.

      He has designed a very basic biochar oven - that could be a perfect
      biochar factory for peasant farmers,across Africa. When I asked him if he
      would like to visit Ghana, I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say that
      he was talking to a company on that very subject!

      I have dreamt of helping farmers to produce organic fertiliser from cocoa
      waste for years. His oven is the perfect solution. I intend to get as many
      local authorities to invite him to teach farmers to make the ovens and
      produce biochar.

      It is that kind of rural wealth creation I really believe we can leverage
      the giving nature of so many of your labs members for! Good luck Andrius.
      Best wishes to all at Mendenyo - and do all stay blessed!

      Kofi.