Re:Milestone

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008

      Yesterday, Prof.Callistus Juma was featured in K24 TV. My, what a wonderful, articulate intelligent person! This time I got a firsthand knowledge/experience of the XO. This gadget will be a milestone in the people’s diaries, more landing in the moon. I felt elated rejuvenate and at the same time justified in my quest to have the use of IT in schools.

       It was not lost on me that the XO definitely will even strengthen family bond as parents and guardians in developed counties will be keenly interested in the work of their children. And for those of them who are not computer literate, the alarm bell is ringing, Change or Perish!

      The good news is, the XO is cheap. But how I wish it would be easier acquiring few units. May be someone wants to sell so many units to ensure return on investment before a next generation which, may I suppose is on the way? In this age of globalization, I dare say a lot of hassling will always be there to get a sizeable chunk of the market .But that is okay.

      People need to get returns for their investment and as long .Countries in the south need to invest in Education that engender, research in leadership, engineering science and technology if they are to come of age, even as they should seek mentorship from the developed nations. The good thing is that they have the opportunity to borrow best practices from the latter. We have a limitless potential that in our frustration to tap into, we end up fighting instead. What else explains constant wars in the horn of Africa, East Africa, and West Africa which region is free from it? Even the seemingly barren (Sahara), but Uranium rich northern Niger , is no exception! Lopsided economic success of a few elites without political hygiene and morality that does not help their counties.

      I postulate that the biggest culprit is in promoting this is our education system. We inherited western education and the goodies it gave us, but we scarcely customized it and sought to develop it to be in league with the changing realities of the times. If we still teach our children that the atom is the smallest and indivisible part of an element (I am a history teacher, so excuse my chemistry.) how many obvious mistakes to we make daily?

       Which brings me to my pet subject: the role of information communication technology in education .If we won’t change, then let it change us. Let it put as on some level of parity with the west. Let us not fear to learn by getting it wrong time and again.

      Be connected and stay happy

      Dan Andrew Otedo.
      Program Officer,
      The African Center for Women,Informations
      Communications Technology(ACWICT)
      Tel :(+254)-020-3862907/107
      cell phone :+254720366094.
      e-mail: dotedo@....

    • kayiwa fred
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hello Friends
        Am glad to receive 2 more Books of Creating a world without Poverty from David Mutua
        hope to give out to all the Ugandan Independent Thinkers who want to read through
        Please Contact me
        Thanks a lot Mutua and also thanks for Buying us Fuel when we got much need on Sunday evening you indeed helped us partly and my boys appreciated your help

        e-mail: dotedo@acwict. or.ke.