Feedback on grant (Andrius)/GenARDIS work url/Benoit: Thanks for the Inspiration and Uplift!!/Sam and Tom

  • Samwel Kongere
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2008
      Thanks Janet and all,

      I am having good time in Lecce Italy researching on Migrations and reasons. I met Maria and Chris very influential people around here.

      I am mostly offline but will be very happy to Meet other MS members while in Italy my hope is the Responsible Tourism  for locals combined with Agriculture after doing quite much on ICT and its components, in past years.

      Cheers,
      Samwel

      Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:
      Dear Andrius, Sam, Benoit, and All,

      Hello and great to read the evolution of thinking on this topic, and further discussion about it! Sam, it's wonderful as always to read your thoughts, which focus on the "local" in this case (of the grant), and that is what you will see below too:  a focus on helping farmers and communities in situ, ie at the local level.

      Tom Ochuka too has written (thanks Tom!) to ask if this grant could apply to working with the Deaf, and I think we can make that a definitive YES!  What could we include on that specifically in the proposal?

      Andrius, thanks for expressing an interest in KAIPPG's GenARDIS work (see url below on that), and I can paste and send into an email a description of the two projects, as needed: http://www.kaippg. org/docs/ GenARDIS. pdf

      Benoit, as always you provide such marvelous and much-needed uplift and encouragement to us all!  Deepest thanks for your caring, kindness, nurturing, and for a spirit that revels in the possibilities for human advancement. You are truly an inspiration in and of yourself, dear brother!

      Turning to further feedback on the grant, I thought I would give us some examples below of what is in the database, then tweak them to give us an idea of what we might do to scale them up.

      We have so much potentially to give and to add!  It would be great if we can do exchanges and bridge-building internationally, though I have to say that--from what I have seen and read for this grant--the emphasis seems to be on what can be done within communities and countries.

      So, for example, training on videos and blogging might better be proposed within a local/national context. However, "sharing" those internationally- -via forums, video-bridges, websites, and other tools--could certainly be an integral part of the learning/teaching process.

      In any case, hope this is helpful, and I look forward to working on it further! Janet

      Some possible things we could focus on, and/or ways we can contribute:

      * Development of web tools, ie software (international) /how to make those as accessible as possible
      * Collection of best practices (managing natural resources in innovative ways, esp related to technology and other forms of communication, and valuable partnerships)  (national/regional)
      * Collection of food stories (national/regional) /packaging and dissemination
      * Development of Includer ie hardware (international) /how to distribute and make widely available, training
      * Upscaling of existing communication techniques, possible development and application of new communications techniques, collecting examples and best practices of those techniques, packaging of techniques for wide dissemination, practicing of techniques at the grassroots. Does this grant include buying and disseminating equipment, like radios, mobile phones, laptops, cameras, audio, recorders and discs?
      * Further development of flash-cards, a very innovative educational idea!
      *Solar power (bringing this into whatever we do)
      * Video bridges
      * Kiosk system (for remote locations, often the case in rural areas)

      Instructions for Application:

      -Use the RIU database (available on our website) to obtain information on the validated RNRRS outputs.  State the relevant RNRRS programme(s) and R numbers, giving a brief description of the technology, process or policy it produced.
      -Briefly outline how you propose to up scale and /or out scale, and your objectives and approach.
      -Explain how the demand was articulated, by whom and for whom? What was the process used to identify this demand? (Are these clients represented in your partnership?  If not we advise you to engage with them and ensure that they are key partners represented in your coalition).
      -You must also make clear the outcome you propose to produce within the life of the initiative.

      Farmers Take the Lead in Learning
      Validated RNRRS Outputs (Ref: CPP07)

      Question: how can we help to scale up this wonderful program with our individual and combined skills? We could work on evaluation of new technologies et al among our members and others. We could help farmers to select crops and technologies, and identify challenges they need to solve, as well as figure out how to go abt addressing these challenges. We can mobilize members related to drama and theatre, create health-nutrition- educational learning modules, mobilize young people (including those who are HIV/AIDS-affected) .

      *Farmer Field Schools (FFS) help turn research results into improved livelihoods.
      *Farmers participate in evaluating new technologies, methods, and knowledge.
      *Farmers select the crops they wish to focus on, identify the problems they need to solve, and select the technologies they want to use. This approach fosters rapid uptake and has helped to improve production.
      *Schools bring together orphaned youths in areas with high HIV/AIDS prevalence.
      *Strong focus on health, nutrition and income generation.
      *Use of drama and theatre to develop self esteem and confidence.

      Information Maps:  A Path to Effective Solutions
      Validated RNRRS Outputs (Ref: CPH45)

      We could help to create and/or scale up use of software tools to help local users. This could be linked to our focus on the work of Yunus and Grameen. We can figure out ways to improve local practices and information flows. We can do information mapping, and help to develop software for others to use. We can hopefully develop databases, or programs that can take the information maps and do something valuable with them for local individuals and communities.

      *Practical software tools to help local users to make better and more effective use of information, creating flexible, database-driven solutions.
      *Improve local practices and information flows.
      *Information mapping to help users visualise their requirements.
      *Customised programming that can transform the information maps into searchable web-based databases.

      Improving Information and Communication for Smallholder Farmers
      Project Technical Reports (Ref: ZC0205)

      We can discuss and hopefully figure out some "pro-poor" mechanisms for communication. We can find ways to help improve peer-to-peer education and exchange, and to help farmers at the local level.

      *Pro-poor mechanisms of communication.
      *Mechanisms with several elements (use of groups, training community resource persons, and using locally used channels of communication) .
      *Improve the information and communication among farmers (peer-to-peer approach).

      We can work on developing new tools to help with access to and dissemination of agricultural knowledge. We can investigate ways to improve local information systems. We can work on developing database technologies, and other tools. We can focus on how to make all of this replicable and adaptable for other kinds of situations.  We can think abt how people at the local level can link to markets, what markets might be looking for and if and how that could be provided. We can organize roadshows!

      Step Tools to Package and Deliver Information for Local Use
      Project Technical Reports (Ref: R8402)
      *Generate and promote new tools for innovation systems that can be used to improve access, uptake and adoption of agricultural knowledge.
      *Improve ways information and knowledge are managed locally, on a day-to-day basis, as enabling methods.
      *Tools include web-based, database technologies to handle data (systems for managing, coordinating and tracking farmer/producer assets and training activities, and for handling and publishing documentation type information locally onto CD-ROMs).
      *Processes and methodologies involved are flexible, replicable and adaptable for other kinds of application. *Roadshows improve awareness and stimulate wider interest (not only abt agriculture, but also business development and microfinance)
      *Effective ways to manage and disseminate knowledge to respond more efficiently and flexibly to local market needs for information.

      Easy-to-Use Software Provides the Poor with Access to Information
      Validated RNRRS Outputs (Ref: LPP30)

      We can hopefully develop interactive learning software, and help to establish a kiosk system for information dissemination (this has worked well for KAIPPG). We can host digital forums, or teach people how to do that for themselves. Along with that we can help to provide video-blogging- photography- media-arts tools for better communication, both of information and for learning and interactivity based on such information.

      *Interactive learning software to give people access to information (even those w/no literacy).
      *Access the software through kiosks placed in their community.
      *Programs complemented by digital forums (these can be accessed by policy makers and planners who want to gain better insights into the needs of the poor by finding out what information they are requesting).

      Successful Strategies for Promoting New Farming Technologies
      Validated RNRRS Outputs (Ref: CPP34)

      We can develop training courses, guides, handbooks, flash cards.
      *Innovative, interactive, and enjoyable training courses for trainers and farmers
      *Training guides
      *Farmer pocket books and pest identification cards

      ************ ********* ********* ********* *******

      Janet Feldman, Thank you for bringing to us this opportunity, for your
      wisdom, knowledge and many links.
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/holistiche lping/message/ 3429
      I would be happy to support an African who took the lead to write a
      proposal.  Indeed, we're all welcome to write them.  I would even write
      a proposal for somebody else if they might pay me $1,000 more or less.
      I myself need to focus on finding income for myself and so I'm writing
      my proposal with this in mind.  I'm building on our achievements and the
      leadership that I have demonstrated.  I want to write a proposal that
      reflects how our lab might develop globally.  The rules are very
      flexible and Minciu Sodas qualifies as a coordinator.  However, they
      want us to promote innovations in certain countries, such as Kenya,
      Uganda, Ghana and Nigeria.  I note that Cameroon and Tanzania are not on
      the list, but I will find ways to include them, just as I will for
      participants in Lithuania, Austria and the US.  I will focus on
      establishing Minciu Sodas centers in rural Kenya (led by Samwel Kongere)
      and urban Kenya (led by Kennedy Owino) just as we have been dreaming.
      Janet, if you have any grants that you can post and share, that would be
      helpful, as are your thoughts. You are a winner!  I want to organize
      around those who have led us as social networkers rather than
      agricultural experts.  Samwel's work in East Africa is amazing and
      brings us together.  He lifts me up.  I contrast that with my unhappy
      relationship with Wendi.  Why should I care much about her?  What does
      she care about me or others at our lab?  She may ask likewise of me. I
      think we will find a way.  What I and our laboratory offer at our best
      is a group of people around the world care about each other - not just
      themselves - and who can motivate each other and reach out further.
      This is the essence of my proposal.

      The main point of my proposal is that we can promote agricultural
      practices by collecting and sharing "food stories" that highlight
      exemplary people in the food supply chain.   The main motivator is not
      productivity but rather inclusion in the world.