Minciu Sodas, IP Society, Question Copyright, Public Domain

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2008
      I write to Patrick Reilly, Karl Fogel and all who might be interested in
      our Minciu Sodas laboratory and our next steps regarding the Public
      Domain.

      Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt serves and organizes independent thinkers
      around the world. Our venues are all in the "Public Domain except when
      noted otherwise" so that we can all build on each other's work using our
      own best judgement. We are active in the European Union's thematic
      network COMMUNIA for the Public Domain, and organized their March 31, 2008
      workshop in Vilnius, "Ethical Public Domain: Debate of Questionable
      Practices". Here is a draft of the material for the proceedings:
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org/upload/AndriusKulikauskas/proceedings.rtf
      I've included three statements by Karl Fogel, Markus Petz and Ricardo
      Sanchez which we didn't present but would like to share.

      I spoke by phone with Patrick Reilly. We met this spring in Silicon Valley
      at the News Tools 2008, Journalism that Matters conference. He's in Franz
      Nahrada's working group Global Villages. Patrick asked, how might he help
      Minciu Sodas, what are our needs, what kinds of contacts might he make for
      us?

      I said that this month I would write a list of ways to help and
      participate. We are looking for paid work, which might be opportunistic
      work for each other, but especially, work for our global teams as we are
      able to organize hundreds or thousands of people who are willing to meet a
      client halfway towards their vision as they work on their own projects.
      An example is My Food Story http://www.myfoodstory.info where for $24,000
      about 100 of us from around the world collected 2,000 food stories at the
      request of Greg Wolff of Unamesa Association. Another example which we
      did of our own resources was to organize 100 peacemakers on-the-ground and
      100 online to avert genocide in Kenya after the elections there.

      The best way to help, however, is to participate with one's own projects,
      work on them openly, and let us all know, how can we help you? I note
      that Patrick Reilly is a lawyer and leads the Intellectual Property
      Society http://www.ipsociety.net "The Intellectual Property Society is a
      donor supported membership organization working to increase public
      awareness of, and participation in, the evolution of intellectual property
      rights and emerging technologies. We have a special mission to provide
      outreach from the intellectual property professions to entrepreneurs,
      technologists, artists and investors."

      There is much that we could work on together here!

      I am very impressed by Karl Fogel's thinking
      http://www.questioncopyright.org (in the Public Domain!) and see his
      thoughts on "The Balanced Buyout Option: How to Turn Monopolies into
      Markets"
      http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/upd-discuss/2008q2/001894.html
      Karl, I very much invite your participation at our laboratory and would
      appreciate your creative leadership. I hope we might talk after or during
      your vacation, my phone is (312) 618-3345. There is so much that we could
      do - we have many participants who care more and more about the Public
      Domain - but we need creative leadership.

      Patrick, I also look to you for leadership. At Minciu Sodas we have many
      reasons for caring about the Public Domain, but it would be very helpful
      for us if we could advocate on behalf of the other side, on behalf of
      those who do have legitimate reasons for protection of their works. We
      can organize teams of social networkers who can help develop and spread
      such a vision.

      COMMUNIA is strategically a very significant forum because it can propose
      policy to the European Union, which can ultimately lead to directives to
      the EU member states, even to ammend their constitutions, for example, so
      that Public Domain has primacy over copyright. Our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory is also strategically able to organize civic participation by
      people who care about the Public Domain.

      Patrick, with your contacts we might be able to get support from large and
      small companies, even Google and Yahoo, so that we might continue our
      "Ethical Public Domain: Debates of Questionable Practices". Such
      practices include many practical examples, such as Facebook owning the
      copyright to all of the content on its pages, or Yahoo! Flickr allowing
      for Creative Commons licenses but not the Public Domain, or Google
      scraping our pages but not allowing us to scrape theirs. A public
      discussion of such practices is I believe to the advantage of such
      companies so that there is a healthy, supportive culture. Working from
      different points of view we might come to such a culture. That would be a
      great achievement. Also, I think that there might be significant
      corporate sponsorship for such an initiative, is that possible, Patrick?
      The European Union with COMMUNIA provides a forum for such corporations to
      address these issues. I note also that next year there will be a call for
      new members for COMMUNIA.

      As part of such an initiative, we could also, working with Karl, organize
      wiki pages and help connect people who are interested. I note that I have
      also organized a working group Net Brotherhood which was for Marco
      Ciurcina to lead but he never became active. Karl, your leadership there
      would be great, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/netbrotherhood/ send a
      blank message to netbrotherhood-subscribe@yahoogroups.com I also invite
      you to Pamela McLean's working group for linking high-Internet-bandwidth
      and low-Internet-bandwith learners based on her deepest value "learning
      from each other" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ send
      a blank message to learningfromeachother-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Also, you are welcome to participate in COMMUNIA through Minciu Sodas.
      They have started new working groups, including for the Public Sphere, and
      I will write more about that. I ask all at our laboratory who would like
      to join which group:
      * Education & scientific research
      * Memory institutions
      * Public sphere