Computer Literacy for Women Teachers

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30 1:45 PM

      Pam,

      I am poor at introductions. I will ask Samuel Kongere to introduce me. Now to the Innovative Women Teachers project.

      It is pretty much about the realization of the girl-child potential through ICT. So all women teaches in Kenya are targeted in the next five years. We will Train all female teachers, though definitely focus first in the fringe /marginalized areas that have challenges of communication, social problems like female genital mutilation, child labour, teenage pregnancy and early marriage among other modern social vices, firmly entrenched.

      I said the project is not cast in stone. So we can borrow best practices from various models and suggestions world over   the key point here is to ensure   teachers have functional digital literacy (productivity) skills and also have the capacity and confidence to seek, develop and use valuable information, and at the same time be in a position join and participate teacher networks .So the project is rather eclectic and we will always give credit where its due. In any case the functional computer literacy skills supersede software wars inherent between various developers, a fact which the rudimentary user is scarcely aware of. We have had to customize the Microsoft Digital literacy curriculum especially by loading it with content responsive to girl – child issues in Kenya, as well as involve centre for Studies of Adolescence and Afri-Afya. (all whom have  developed  an interactive toolkit  CD’s)

      Talking about innovative teachers in the twenty first century, I envision result based management of the classroom and schools of professionalism in a different gamut, where our diversities and experiences are appreciated and shared in regional and global teacher networks.

      The classroom walls which are becoming more and more porous world as teaching and learning (instruction) become increasingly virtual .Traditional teacher roles that keep changing with every digital year must be managed. It is for the reason of learning to use computers responsibly that we have chosen to partner with the Ministry of Education through  the Kenya Institute of Education which is currently  customizing  and digitizing  the educational content.

      The teachers will then have the authority and liberty to choose from an empowered point, those productivity programs that are valuable to them. I guess my vision, in a remote  way in the horizons, overlapping with the spirit of turning the digital divide into digital dividends, and later facilitate’ using free content and open networks as ’, as expressed  in COhttp://www.col.org/colweb/site.The beneficiaries of this programme with proper mentoring , could benefit greatly, professionally,  and even in ‘skills-related courses in areas such as tourism, entrepreneurship, professional development, disaster management and a range of technical and vocational subjects’

      I have finally managed to open http://d4tel. blogspot. com/. If anybody has never told you so, read this.  You are amazingly focused and intelligent lady whose ideas I won’t mind copying! So much seems to overlap!

      Dan Andrew Otedo (B.ed.Arts )
      Administrator,
      Suba Youth Resource Centre(SYRC)
      P.O.box 18 Mbita Code 40305
      Kenya
      +254720366094

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30 3:51 PM
        Dan

        Thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

        I want to reply to your email at length. This is a subject dear to my heart, but there are other things also I should be giving attention to.  I will try to write more in a few days time. I appreciate the opportunity to contribute ideas to your project.

        Your project is much wider than I realised, and with a very interesting slant. It seems we are looking at how access to ICT can impact on the roles of girls and women, starting with women teachers.

        I am trying to get a clearer picture of what you are thinking - not set in stone of course. I understand how ideas develop and alter as things become clear. But sometimes it is important to give exact examples to "paint a picture", even if the picture changes later. This can be more valuable than using generalisations - because in generalisations it is easy for the same words to have different meanings to different people.

        I would be grateful if you would look at your email again and see where you can add detail so I get a clearer picture.

        For example where you write
        Talking about innovative teachers in the twenty first century, I envision result based management of the classroom and schools of professionalism in a different gamut, where our diversities and experiences are appreciated and shared in regional and global teacher networks.

        I wonder if you can describe what such a classroom would look like, and how it is different from the classrooms where the teachers are today. What are some of the practical steps we need to take to go from where we are now to where you want to be? Perhaps we can explore them together. I realise I am asking a lot.  This is only a suggestions for where to give more detail. Choose whatever bit is most important to you to give more details about so I get a clear picture.

        It is not easy to have this kind of conversation by email. Writing every thought can be painfully slow and a few hours face to face can achieve so much so easily - but we do not have the face to face option so we must do the best we can with what we have.

        I look forward to hearing more from you.

        Pam

        2008/7/30 Dan Otedo <dotedo@...>

[...]

      • Maria Agnese Giraudo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30 11:58 PM
          Dear Dan and all,
          I'm reading with interest your messages althought I have nothing to do with teachers training . I'll have a look to your blog and I'll feedback  you.I enjoy to see new positive synergies inside MSLab!
          All the best!
          Maria Agnese

[...]

          Not happy with your email address?
          Get the one youreally want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo!
        • Edward Cherlin
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
            On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Dan Otedo <dotedo@...> wrote:
            > Pam,
            >
            > I am poor at introductions. I will ask Samuel Kongere to introduce me. Now
            > to the Innovative Women Teachers project.
            >
            > It is pretty much about the realization of the girl-child potential through
            > ICT. So all women teaches in Kenya are targeted in the next five years. We
            > will Train all female teachers, though definitely focus first in the fringe
            > /marginalized areas that have challenges of communication, social problems
            > like female genital mutilation, child labour, teenage pregnancy and early
            > marriage among other modern social vices, firmly entrenched.

            I met a Maasai chief, Salaton Ole' Ntutu, who is working on education
            and ending female genital mutilation, at an Asante Africa presentation
            at Future Salon. See http://www.asanteafrica.org/ for program and
            contact information. Some of my friends have proposed to assist him
            and his people with education, health, and agricultural knowledge.

            "He built a rescue shelter to protect young girls from the common, but
            illegal, practice of female genital mutilation (FGM) and to promote
            the idea of alternative rites of passage. He is also involved in
            education about HIV/AIDS and monogamy, and in health and sanitation
            projects. He supports widows in his tribe who would otherwise find it
            very difficult to support themselves. Through his tremendous knowledge
            of African wildlife, he has contributed significantly towards Kenya's
            community and tourist industry. He also helps to facilitate the
            in-country work of the Asante Africa Foundation,
            which builds and equips schools, and sponsors secondary education in
            Kenya and in neighboring Tanzania."

            > I said the project is not cast in stone. So we can borrow best practices
            > from various models and suggestions world over the key point here is to
            > ensure teachers have functional digital literacy (productivity) skills and
            > also have the capacity and confidence to seek, develop and use valuable
            > information, and at the same time be in a position join and participate
            > teacher networks .

            Let me suggest this report from Ethiopia, and the discussion at
            http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Academic_Papers, as a source of ideas.

            * Ethiopia Implementation Report, September - December 2007,
            Bjorn Everts, Matthew Herren, David Hollow, Eduvision, February 2008
            http://www.gg.rhul.ac.uk/ict4d/ethiopia.pdf

            > So the project is rather eclectic and we will always give
            > credit where its due. In any case the functional computer literacy skills
            > supersede software wars inherent between various developers, a fact which
            > the rudimentary user is scarcely aware of. We have had to customize the
            > Microsoft Digital literacy curriculum especially by loading it with content
            > responsive to girl – child issues in Kenya, as well as involve centre for
            > Studies of Adolescence and Afri-Afya. (all whom have developed an
            > interactive toolkit CD's)

            OLPC is creating health content and other education content for girls,
            and translating it to various languages. See the Health mailing list
            at http://lists.laptop.org/. The HIFA2015 mailing list also has a lot
            of health education resources.

            --
            Silent Thunder [默雷/शब्दगर्ज] is my name,
            And Children are my nation.