Back in Kenya/Yunus books.

  • David mutua
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008

      Dear All,

      I am back in Kenya trying to adjust and catch up with work, friends and family. Sam, Ken, Dan, Rachel, Dennis, Kenneth, Fred, the Tanzania great team and all - I came back with the Yunus books, Pam and I managed to meet Sophia and her colleagues in their office (Thanks Sophia, will trace your email and write as promised), we managed to get 10 books to be shared among the three countries - please lets me know how i can get two for each country Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya. Sorry guys i am keeping four.

      Regards,

      David N. Mutua

    • fdkayiwa
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2008
        Welcome back David
        I see that i might come back to Nairobi to bring our soccer team for
        young ones at Michezo Africa Cup tournament in late Aug is so I will
        pick our share then for Ms lab members in Uganda to read
      • Samwel Kongere
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2008
          Thanks Dave,

          Call either Dan or me, we are both in Nairobi and Surely it is great to have you home. I am going to Mbita tomorrow and will possibbly, hope, Dan to get one copy of the books, I will be going to Uganda in late September i can carry the ones for Uganda. Kims will be coming to Nairobi sometimes and will collect the two for Tanzania.

          I will call you immediately i am from Mbita.
          Sam

          David mutua <davenzainga@...> wrote:
          Dear All,
          I am back in Kenya trying to adjust and catch up with work, friends and family. Sam, Ken, Dan, Rachel, Dennis, Kenneth, Fred, the Tanzania great team and all - I came back with the Yunus books, Pam and I managed to meet Sophia and her colleagues in their office (Thanks Sophia, will trace your email and write as promised), we managed to get 10 books to be shared among the three countries - please lets me know how i can get two for each country Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya. Sorry guys i am keeping four.

          Regards,

          David N. Mutua

        • Maria Agnese Giraudo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 28, 2008
            Dear Pam, David , Sam and all,
            thanks Pam and David for the new copies of Yunus book. I have already ordered two copies in Dar es Salaam for UYOGA. Today I'm back in Italy and I remember with joy and interest  all experiences and opportunities of sharing with people in East Africa although at differnt level and intensity. Lately I'm much more committed in Dar es Salaam also  for my personal aims and I appreciate  the efforts of UYOGA in growing as association and at personal level of responsibility and commitment.
            All the best!
            Maria Agnese

            David mutua <davenzainga@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Dear All,
            I am back in Kenya trying to adjust and catch up with work, friends and family. Sam, Ken, Dan, Rachel, Dennis, Kenneth, Fred, the Tanzania great team and all - I came back with the Yunus books, Pam and I managed to meet Sophia and her colleagues in their office (Thanks Sophia, will trace your email and write as promised), we managed to get 10 books to be shared among the three countries - please lets me know how i can get two for each country Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya. Sorry guys i am keeping four.

            Regards,

            David N. Mutua

            Not happy with your email address?
            Get the one youreally want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo!
          • ms@ms.lt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 29, 2008
              Hi Ricardo, please can you do a second draft of the survey, with a short
              version and a long version? I have marginal Internet access (fitting
              within the hours of the Chicago Public Library) and I appreciate your
              leadership! Kofi, thank you for your warm letter! can you research the
              contacts for us? and I would approach them. Andrius

              Hi Andrius
              in the survey part of your message, it wasn't clear
              whether you are pressing on with the survey work or whether you
              wanted me to create a new survey page or something. In our recent
              phone chat, I think we agreed you would lead the survey work, while
              I got on with Includer technology research. Is that correct?

              I just wrote this reply to make sure we aren't both sitting there,
              expecting the other one to take the next step with the survey.

              Will the survey involve a very large number of MS members, making a
              lot of manual cutting and pasting of answers hard work? If so, is it
              much work for you to design a web form to collect answers? It may
              help to keep the answers in a consistant format too.

              I read your initial list of survey questions. It's good for
              capturing information on how people access the internet at the
              moment (the Status Quo).

              We will also need some questions that related to future
              possibilities with the Includer, such as "Do you have a mobile-phone
              signal where you live?", making GPRS internet access possible. The
              Includer device can be simple and cheap without GPRS, but 'walking
              to the internet' could mean just walking to one laptop+GPRS phone in
              a village, or a short distance away, not a conventional internet
              cafe.

              That's just one example question, about what would be technically
              possible under that person's local conditions. We can both think of
              some similar questions. We can ask how people would use an Includer
              if they had one, such as "How would you re-charge the batteries
              (how/where/how much/etc).

              We need to keep the number of questions to a managable number of
              course, so as not to over-stretch the respondents.

              Can we just clarify the 'role' of this survey?

              For a product with a single customer, you would hold talks with that
              customers to start finding out their requirements, or read documents
              from them. For a product with multiple customers, like the Includer,
              the Survey fulfills a similar role, of starting to find out the
              customer's requirements.

              I'd like to set out a typical engineering process for designing a
              new product, to show how the survey fits into the whole requirements
              capture, analysis and design process.

              The survey tells us a lot about the Customer or User/Purchaser of
              any Includer device and about the Operating Environment for each
              respondent.

              The survey results then allow us to write the first draft of the
              Requirements Specification for each type of Includer device. The
              Requirements phase of a project doesn't pre-judge what design
              choices will be made for hardware/software in the Design Phase. It
              states the requirements in a stable way, no matter how the
              requirements are eventually implemented. It states WHAT the Includer
              does, not how it does it.

              However, it can include 'Constraints' on the later design choices,
              if the Includer must have some particular interface to other
              equipment or some particular unalterable user-interface constraint.

              For a single product, several alternative designs are considered
              with different electronic hardware and software, and one design is
              chosen, with the best cost-benefits or money-is-no-object best
              performance.

              The Design Specification, covers HOW the Includer fulfills the
              requirements, and those requirements can be divided into Hardware
              and Software Requirement Specifications.

              You can see how a large 'problem' (requirements) is addressed by a
              technological 'solution' (design).

              In a large system, as you break down the system into sub-system and
              sub-sub-systems, modules and units, you make design choices among
              alternative designs. There are therefore repeated analysis and
              design, analysis and design phases, etc, at system, sub-system, sub-
              sub-system level, etc.

              So, the survey lets us write the first draft of the requirements
              specification. Then we can check the requirements for errors and
              ommissions, then ask more survey questions if neccessary, until the
              Requirements Specification is complete and consistant, reviewed
              within 'the company' (MS) and signed off by the project manager, and
              reviewed and signed off by the customer (perhaps a small group of MS
              memebers in Africa and potential Includer users).

              It's very important to finish off and freeze the requirements
              specification. It's the interface to the customer and the basis of
              the contract. After that, the other design and testing phases etc
              can progress as 'internal activities' within the company (MS).

              That's enough for now. I'm sorry to ramble on.

              Please let me know if there's anything you want me to do, Andrius.

              Ricardo
            • Samwel Kongere
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2008
                Hello to all,

                I  am back in Nairobi and will have time to meet Ebby Kosgei of Ncomputing company from Korea, their unit is using minimal power and it is very vital to the rural Kenyan community.

                I had good time meeting with Jacton and Peter Ongele although, i tried calling Francis but he was not online. Our Discussion was well and they are going to be good model in using the DIY solar as we try other solar panel options for the community. Already the electricity tariffs in Kenya is high and the rural communities cannot afford. However, the rural electrification initiative was started by the government there is still too much monopoly from Kenya Power and Lighting company. The price for kerosine is up even and something has to be done help the poor.

                I will call David Mutua while here and meet to discuss other details.
                Thanks all for your brilliant emails, am going through the mails this morning.
                Cheers,
                Sam