fyi: interview in Rome, on p2p learning (clip 2-12) and the transition to a p2p society (clip 1)

  • Dante-Gabryell Monson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2008

      P2P And Education:

      Robin Good Interviews Peer-To-Peer Evangelist Michel Bauwens

      video of interviews and transcripts on

      http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2008/07/18/p2p_and_education_robin_good.htm

      1) Comparison Between The History of Ancient Rome and a P2P Society

      2) What Is Really P2P? Does It Just Mean File Sharing?

      3) What Does P2P Mean for Learning Communities?

      4) How Does P2P Change Learning Inside the Community

      5) P2P and Informal Learning

      6) What Are The Fundamental Paradigms Around Peer-to-Peer in Education?

      7) How Does P2P Challenge Educational Institutions to Change Systems and Practices?

      8) Are there P2P Technologies That Do Not Require High-Speed Internet Connection

      9) What About Connections Between P2P and Connectivism

      10) How About P2P and Just-In-Time Learning, Anything Comes to Mind

      11) What Can Institutions Take as Initial Steps Toward This

      12) Is There a Link Between P2P and Education

      excerpt - tr
      anscript of video clip 1 :

      1) Comparison Between The History of Ancient Rome and a P2P Society

      michel :

      I often compare the change from capital society to a peer to peer society as something very similar to the change from the slave-based society of Rome to the feudal society in the Christian west. And so basically what happened was that Rome had a crisis of extensive development: in other words it could no longer grow in space.

      When a slave-based empire cannot grow in space, what happens is that slaves become expensive, and then usually it's replaced by another empire. But that didn't happen with Rome: what happened was that the society moved from a production by slaves for the roman market,

      you know exchange value, making commodities which could be sold,

      it moved to a society based on the production of the use value by serfs instead of slaves.

      So the serfes, the peasants, the farmers would produce for their own, and would give the surplus to the local dominant lords. And that was the base of the feudal system, so it was a move from extensive development to intensive local development, and it was a move from extensive, space-based development to local intensive development.

      And what I'm arguing is that the change from capitalism to peer to peer is very similar: so what we have is a change from production of exchange value, not making commodities for sale.

      To communities, people using communities producing for use values directly, you know people who share on YouTube they don't make a video for sale, they make it to show, you know it's directly useful for other people. And the people who produce Linux don't produce Linux to sell it, they produce it because it's directly useful for themselves and others.

      And the other change I think is that we are similarly facing a crisis of extensive development of capitalism. If India and China want to be on the same level as Europe and United States, we need five planets, where are they? We don't have them. So we are facing now a crisis of extensive development: higher prices, food prices, water, and all these crisis are commuting because we cannot continue in the same way we have been doing.

      And so what we have is a similar shift from extensive development in space, to re-localize production on the local level but the globalized aspect is open design communities developing the intellectual value.

      At the same time look at Rome: what happened was localized production feudal but with the Church as the globalized intellectual force.

      And so the more you look into it, the more you see actually similarities.

      text and videos continued on ...

      http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2008/07/18/p2p_and_education_robin_good.htm