Africa Calling: A picture story project - calling for schools to participate

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2008
      Last March I saw Steve Thompson, Community Media Coordinator, Institute of Digital Innovation, University Of Teesside, demonstrate his work with communities and schools. Subsequently I put Steve in touch with Kelechi Micheals at Fantsuam Foundation ref the Children's Computer Club there. I wanted to explore the possibility of including African schools in some of Steve's projects. The result is below
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      New at http://www.digitaldiscovery-uk.org

      Africa Calling: A picture story project - calling for schools to participate
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      The idea is for schools to tell their local stories in pictures, as a daily photo diary.  If you are connected with a school and are able to send photos via the internet you make like to get involved. Ideally the photos should be one for every day. However if this is too expensive for you to manage then we will need to let Steve know and see if it would be possible to contribute in a cheaper way, perhaps one photo a week, or even just on a monthly basis.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2008
        Hi Tom and everyone.

        Just to clarify this. This project is not for requesting money for your projects. Please do not use it to re-inforce the 'begging-bowl' impression that people have of Africa. I know it is difficult and expensive to manage to afford to send any photos and perhaps I was unwise to mention the project because it is not likely that people will be able to join in yet.

        This project was really only for schools in the UK, so they could learn about sharing information over the Internet. Steve has altered it, at my request so that my friends at Fantusam can join in. Now he has said that he is willing to have other schools from Africa joining in as well. That is why I mentioned it through LFEO.

        I hope that by sharing photos the children, and adults, will get to know each other and understand each other better. Perhaps later they will want to help each other, perhaps not, I cannot say.  I hope the photo project  will help children in UK to understand that the pictures we see on TV about Africa do not give the full story.

        I have explained to Steve that the schools I know in Africa do not have many resources, and have difficulty getting online so I am asking him if he will "bend the rules and include schools that cannot send photos every day".

        I am trying to build friendships here and understanding. I also know what great skills Steve has for teaching people to use the Internet to communicate. We can learn useful skills from him through this project.

        Regarding requests for money. People in UK who are interested in giving money to help projects in Africa are probably already doing so. There are continual requests from Oxfam, Red Cross, Water Aid, Christian Aid etc requesting people to give money. Many people set up standing orders so that each month some money goes straight from their pay packet to their chosen charity.  There are also always big requests for funds whenever there is a disaster. People in UK repeatedly see on TV that there are many poor people in Africa. They also see that there are many Africans who are killing each other in terrible ways, and that there are many corrupt politicians. They also see wonderful wild animals. They do not get many opportunities to get to know individual people and develop friendships and understanding. I hope this project may help in some way.

        Pam

        2008/7/11 Pamela McLean <pam54321@...>:
[...]

      • Emmanuel Sevidzem
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2008

          Hello Pam and others of this Yahoo Group,

          Good day from me-Emmanuel F. SEVIDZEM of techcefacos..org NGO, Kumbo-Cameroon. I’m new to your group and really enjoy this idea sharing forum. Well, I will be introducing myself in details later.

          I’m to you guys concerning: Africa Calling: A picture story project - calling for schools to participate, its an excellent idea I have being thinking of and try to work it out with an individual (Tom Brough) in the UK . Attached to this mail is a draft document of the project: The Cultural Exchange DVD via Video Link or School Documentary; I will really like to read comments and/or suggestions etc if its inline with the ‘a picture story project’ and how Cameroon schools can participate in the project.

          Emmanuel FONYUY SEVIDZEM

          www.efspro.info

          contact@...

          237 75266909

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2008
            HI Emmanuel

            Welcome to LFEO, I am glad you are enjoying the group.

            As I understand it Steve will be posting more details of how to get involved nearer the start date (the Autumn term - sometime in September)I will probably post details here as I get them, but it would be best if you go to http://www.digitaldiscovery-uk.org/ and subscribe, then you will be emailed directly with details.

            It is interesting thar you already have a UK link-up. I could not read your attachment (unfortunately it opened up as miscellaneous meaningless characters). Perhaps you can tell us something about it in an email.

            I don't know how the two projects will relate. I simply did the introductions. I am not involved in managing any aspect of the picture story project - but I look forward to seeing photos..

            Pam

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 13, 2008
              Dear Ricardo, Sam, Ken, Dan and all,
              I arrived safely in London, Pam met me in the airport and helped me to settle at the University College London. I will be here for a couple of days for the forum and networking.

              Will share more later

              Regards,

              David N. Mutua

            • Edward Cherlin
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2008
                One Laptop Per Child also has a story project hosted at
                http://www.mizizi.co.ke/.

                --
                Edward Cherlin
                http://www.EarthTreasury.org/