Re: Listening to the poor (was Re: [learningfromeachother] Content workflow)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2008
      Ref recent emails between Peter and Ed (see "snipped" version below).

      I agree completely that we need education for entrepreneurship and that we need to open up communication.

      Now we have the communication systems of 21st century there  is no need for top-down donor-recipient relationships. We can cut out unproductive middle-men and unwieldy bureaucracy. Now the external resources and knowledge can meet local resources and knowledge for a collaboration between equals. MInciu Sodas is enabling this and so is Dadamac http://dadamclean.blogspot.com/

      Pam

      2008/7/9 Edward Cherlin <echerlin@...>:
      On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Peter Burgess <peterbnyc@...> wrote:
      (snip)

      > My conclusion has been for a long time now that the best USE of the OLPC
      > initiative would be to get information from these poor communities so that
      > we can set about holding the world's leadership accountable for the mess
      > that has been created by a legal and political system that is dysfunctional
      > for pretty much all of the informal sector in the world ... a sector that
      > serves probably well over half the world's population.

      Peter may well be right here. I have often said myself that giving the
      poor a voice could be the function with the greatest impact. Note that
      communication also means the ability to cooperate with each other and
      to make deals with the rest of the world. But dealing with corruption
      and unaccountability is one of the most important activities in any
      society. (And one that the US needs to get back to, also.)

      > As I am often told by my friends the best solutions are when everyone ends
      > up being happy ... the use of OLPC infrastructure to flow information from
      > the community to an accountability system (Community Accountancy) does not
      > preclude having the infrastructure also used for facilitating education, and
      > all sorts of community information activities. I will argue, however, that
      > ignoring the dysfunctionality issues and not having the information to
      > address accountability is a formula for short term comfort and ultimate
      > disaster.

      Well, you are welcome to come into the community and suggest an Open
      Source software project and an educational curriculum for dealing with
      these issues. None of it happens unless someone steps up. It is not
      that we are ignoring any of the genuine issues, but that we are all
      pedaling as fast as we can, and there needs to be a lot more of us.