Re: Proposal for Stephen Wolfram: A New Kind of Culture

  • Anna McKinnon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2008
      This is a very exciting idea from a personal perspective! Our chats
      regarding this concept have inspired, and I will continue to monitor
      this thread as well as participate when available.

      Thanks for sharing. :)

      Regards,

      Anna

      --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, ms@... wrote:

      > Greetings from Vermont, where I am attending Stephen Wolfram's
      summer camp
      > for his "A New Kind of Science".
      > https://www.wolframscience.com/summerschool/2008/
      > We met last Wednesday and talked for one hour about how our Minciu
      Sodas
      > laboratory might work to expand the "A New Kind of Science"
      community. He
      > is very personable and also an inspiring independent thinker. I
      hope we
      > might work for him. I appreciate our thoughts on my proposal which
      > include below.
      >
      > Stephen Wolfram is the inventor of Mathematica, software used for
      all
      > manner of mathematical investigation. He authored "A New Kind of
      Science"
      http://demonstrations.wolfram.com

      > I share my proposal.
      > http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?ANewKindOfCulture
      >

      > -------------------------
      > A New Kind of Culture
      > -------------------------
      >
      > Proposal from Andrius Kulikauskas of Minciu Sodas to Stephen
      Wolfram of
      > Wolfram Science to organize a culture of investigation, at the
      heart of
      > which is "A New Kind of Science".
      >
      > Purposes
      >
      > * Expand the NKS ("A New Kind of Science") community.
      > * Provide a global online social networking system which extends
      beyond
      > the official Wolfram Science websites.
      > * Encourage local activity (such as Math Circles and BarCamps).
      > * Open opportunities to NKSers for education and employment.
      > * Reach out to engage other intellectual communities.
      > * Offer leadership for a culture of investigation, at the heart of
      which
      > is "A New Kind of Science".
      >
      > Values
      >
      > * Encourage a culture of investigation where we look to all aspects
      of our
      > lives as sources of inspiration for our investigations.
      > * Champion computational exploration as fostering our minds for "A
      New
      > Kind of Science" that expands our horizons for exploration, just as
      > mathematics fosters our minds for traditional science.
      > * Cherish complexity in all its instances, look for its origins in
      the
      > simplest situations, try to break down the complex in terms of the
      simple,
      > but also respect complexity on its own terms.
      > * Help investigators, computational explorers:
      > o find questions that interest them;
      > o grow closer by sharing questions, solutions, ideas;
      > o make step-by-step progress in their research;
      > o publish their progress in demonstrations that delight,
      enlighten,
      > inspire and instruct;
      > o share their demonstrations in the Public Domain so that all
      might
      > build further on them;
      > o share their delight and appreciation so there is an abundance
      of
      > esteem and encouragement;
      > o find their niche where they excel.
      >
      > Strategy
      >
      > * Focus on high school teachers, especially in mathematics, but more
      > broadly, champions of self-learning.
      > * Identify local clusters, build support within regions.
      > * Organize a global network with a shared culture of independent
      thinkers.
      > * Encourage people to think about the questions that the don't know
      the
      > answer to, but wish to answer.
      > * Help them make progress on their questions through step-by-step
      research
      > projects which they publish as demonstrations.
      > * Embolden large groups of people to work together by taking on big
      > challenges.
      >
      > Budget
      >
      > $200,000 total for 2 years of work. Increments of $50,000, paid in
      advance.

      > Additionally, a total of 200 copies of the Student version of
      Mathematica,
      > the relevant modules for work on specific challenges, and grid
      computing
      > time for difficult computations.
      >
      > Participation, as described below, by "A New Kind of Science"
      leaders who
      > work for Wolfram Research or Wolfram Science.
      >
      > Minciu Sodas Team
      >
      > Social Network Leader ($25,000 per year) AndriusKulikauskas will
      lead the
      > team, organize the global network, and take responsibility for all
      > deliverables, including a culture of investigation, a data format
      for
      > publishing research projects, a distributed social networking
      system, a
      > bold research program, and a strategy for encouraging investigators
      and
      > promoting "A New Kind of Science". Andrius Kulikauskas is sole
      proprietor
      > of Minciu Sodas, and is a dual citizen and taxpayer of Lithuania
      and the
      > United States of America.
      >
      > Challenge Leaders (5 x $5,000 per year) will lead five challenges
      such as
      > discovering:
      >
      > * a unified theory for understanding gravity and quantum mechanics
      > * an answer to the P vs. NP problem
      > * beauty in mathematics and the world
      > * a model for sharing our human intuitions
      > * data tools for designing self-reliant villages and neighborhoods
      > * economics tools, macro and micro, for microbusiness in the
      developing world
      > * a cure for cancer, AIDS or tropical diseases
      > * a strategy for stewardship of our planet's ecosystems
      >
      > Each year we would start up five new challenges. Challenge leaders
      would
      > excel as social networkers able to engage and encourage all who
      might help
      > with the challenge. They will also help Wolfram Science leaders
      social
      > network effectively. Such leaders at our lab include: PamelaMcLean,
      > RicardoSanchez, JohnRogers, FranzNahrada, BenoitCouture,
      SamwelKongere,
      > JosephatNdibalema, JanetFeldman, BenDeVries, MarkRoest,
      TomasCepaitis,
      > SashaMrkailo, EdwardCherlin, MarkusPetz, DanteGabryellMonson,
      > MarcinJakubowski, DennisKimambo, RachelWambuiKungu, DavidMutua,
      > TomWayburn, JeffBuderer, LucasGonzalez, FredKayiwa, KennedyOwino.
      >
      > Investigator Coaches (25 x $1,000 per year) will be champions of
      > self-learning, who might be high school teachers, home school
      leaders,
      > traveling self-learners who can nurture a local hub, teach others
      > Mathematica and NKS, and mentor investigators.
      >
      > Investigators (125 x $200 per year) will do a research project and
      publish
      > it, and exemplify our culture of investigation. Priority will be
      given to
      > NKS projects.
      >
      > Wolfram Science Team
      >
      > Members of the Minciu Sodas team will work closely and publicly with
      > members of the Wolfram Science "A New Kind of Science" team in
      order to
      > encourage effective contacts inside and outside Wolfram Science. The
      > Minciu Sodas team will provide social networking venues (including
      blogs)
      > and coaching for online leadership.
      >
      > 1 Social Networking Leader (such as Michael Schreiber) will work
      with
      > Andrius Kulikauskas to think through the direction and values of the
      > culture of investigation and the role of "A New Kind of Science"
      within
      > that culture.
      >
      > 5 Challenge Leaders (such as the leaders of the summer camp) will
      make
      > clear what NKS and Mathematica tools are available for each
      challenge,
      > respond to needs for new tools, and clarify the role of NKS and of
      Wolfram
      > Science's leadership. They will also provide inspiration for
      tackling the
      > Challenge problems.
      >
      > 25 Advisors (summer camp leaders and alumni) will work with the
      > Investigator Coaches to answer questions they may have about
      Mathematica
      > and "A New Kind of Science".
      >
      > 125 Mentors (summer camp alumni and NKS enthusiasts, as available)
      will
      > work with Investigators to advise them on research projects of
      mutual
      > interest.
      >
      > Deliverables
      >
      > Expand leadership opportunities within the NKS world and beyond it:
      >
      > * Social networking presence for dozens of NKS leaders.
      > * System for responding to hundreds of new people and including
      them and
      > encouraging their work.
      > * Dozens of local bases for investigating together, and learning
      NKS and