Re: [learningfromeachother] Re: Schools

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2008
      Dear Colleagues

      As some of you know, I met Dr. Yunus during the time he was doing his book tour in New York last January. One of the observations that he made was that there is something systemically wrong when people work very hard and are left socially and economically destitute.

      This resonated with me because of my own work in the past on corporate profit improvement ... it was often possible to get big profit improvement simply by making systemic changes so that people worked together rather than against each other!

      There was another observation by Dr. Yunus that resonated, and that was his recognition that there was a need for accountancy that embraced the whole of community or society and not just the corporate money profit piece. This is what Tr-Ac-Net's Accountancy for Community Impact (ACI) is all about. The attachment is a one-pager that posititons ACI ... and I would be happy to get other people's view.

      I should perhaps add that ACI is nothing more than accountancy ... a system for collecting, organizing and reporting data. Performance is nothing to do with data ... performance is a result of using resources, and using them well ... making good decisions that get good results. Accountancy merely helps keep score.

      Sincerely

      Peter
      ____________
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net.org
      Accountancy for Community Impact
      Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
      The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetvision.blogspot.com
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

      /////////////////////////////////////
      On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

      Franz, Thank you for your thoughtful letter, which I share more broadly.
      Yes, I have in mind "villagers" in the fullest sense, as you write. In
      organizing our endeavors, I think a breakthrough is focusing on the role
      that we are supporting, and that is why villager, learner, grower, fighter
      are to the point, they help us make clear which endeavors are relevant or
      not for a particular role, and thus they help us organize them naturally,
      so that a leader can champion a whole group of endeavors, which before I
      was calling an "ecosystem", but the word "school" is I think more helpful.
      Pamela, I am thinking that if two words mean about the same, like
      "school" and "faculty", then it would be better to use the simpler word
      and, if necessary, reclaim that. That is also why I think "villager" is
      the relevant word for Franz's global villages. "School of villagers"
      hopefully makes it clear - or will make it clear - that you can learn to
      be a villager, and that is a life long learning.

      Pamela, what is the model person you are focusing on in the World Without
      Poverty? Instead of "earners", perhaps it is "entrepreneurs" or "social
      entrepreneurs"? It would be great progress to nail down the role.

      Janet, would "healers" and "school of healers" be what you mean? or
      "school of synergizers" or "school of integraters"?

      Janet: Andrius, my own school might be something like: School for
      Synergistic Spirit (aided by cooperative creativity :)). I love the idea
      of HH being a "healing" space too, which I see synergies (linkages and
      integrations that help each part to build upon each other part, the whole
      becoming more healthy and sustainable accordingly) accomplishing.

      Thank you all for thinking this through!
      Greetings from "A New Kind of Science" summer school in Vermont.

      +1 312 618 3345

      > Andrius, I second the comments of Pamela, the idea of worknets begets new
      > forms of organizing and rallying around the practical implication of
      > knowledge. As Pamela, I think that I also probably would think twice to be
      > identified with a single group of people, at least the "vilagers" that you
      > have in mind for me are at those "Global Villagers" who understand that
      > especially the environments with lower population produce a MUCH higher
      > potential load of tasks per person.
      >
      > Which means that in a village people have to be able to do many things
      > instead of simply one thing, if you take the quality and quantity of
      > services in an urban environment as a challenge they want to meet in some
      > form. And they must, because if not, population drain will erode the
      > village more. Even the most tidy, neetly swept village in a beautiful
      > location in Kenya is offering less to the individual than, lets say
      > Kibera. And people feel that. They probably still migrate there. The
      > simple consequence of this is that that there is bigger need for
      > self-education in the villages than there is in the cities, to build the
      > required human capacity not only for survival, but also to meet the
      > standards of problem-solution mentioned above, and this self-education can
      > largely only be delivered by the Internet. But its not just general
      > education as Pamela showed, its specialized, individualized education that
      > we need.
      >
      > This is the importance of "schools", and the "villagers" I have in mind
      > are understanding that their way as a collective is to encourage
      > individuals to attend as many of the schools as possible, create and
      > respect the diversity among themselves as the source of meeting everyday
      > and also unnusual problems and challenges. Their challenge is first to
      > organize a place of learning around the internet access points, secondly
      > to grow together and be in intense contact to complement each other.
      >
      > There is no need for competiion in this world any more, but in rural areas
      > competition as we know it is simply destructive.
      >
      > We are coming close to the point where Global Villages are not only
      > possible, but will become mass need and goal. We need to be better
      > prepared for that, and organizing schools in the sense we understood it
      > here is a great step forward.
      >
      > In this respect I also think that places are important in this context. I
      > am working now to convince our friends in Kirchbach to intend to become a
      > physical "school" center for the VideoBridge operators worldwide.
      >
      > Franz

      +1 312 618 3345