HO! MBA revolution Re: [learningfromeachother] WWP

  • christopher macrae
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008

      Harrison Owen , founder of open space meetings, is one of the very few people in my life that I was overjoyed to travel half way round the world to see and try to learn from. About 7 years ago,  I arrived on a lucky day when he kindly gave me about 4 hours of his time and many amazing stories from a life of conflict resolution.

      A relevant one: soon after inventing open space around 1984, he had a meeting with the people in USA most responsible for what is in the traditional MBA curricula. He thought that his method -which whenever it is truly hosted I find to be both the most likely to induce innovation all through peoples of a community in crisis, and a far more engaging way of learning than podium speakers - might be relevant to MBAs especially at the dawn of a networking age (something harrison is a hugely successful cheerleader of). Instead, after listening over lunch, the main man said: Harrison if you are right 95% of what we teach is out of date. From that day on open space has been pretty well censored out of MBAs.

      So I think the breakthrough question we could focus on is: what things could a 21st C MBA be designed round so as to unlearn too much top-down standard theories and rejoice in context-up empowerment. Over the last 10 years I have surveyed the 10 biggest professions of globalisation and found at least one mathematically absurd thing that each still does the same way that they did 50 or 100 years ago even though the real world has moved on. These global professions are monopolies that chain us all. None values its hippocratic oath as much as continuing its business monopoly to rule from the top the way things once may have been when industry was mainly about machines not people, and geography made distant communications costly or late. Harrison has a 3C mnemonic which I love. An environment change comes along introducing Conflicts to the way we were.  For whatever reason, a big organisation doesnt see the change. So every cycle conflicts compound -a perfect storm that harrison calls Chaos. By this time the people at the top of the organisation are causing the most Confusion of all -it is their insistence on following hard rules that before the change may have been perfectly correct which is the biggest barrier to the community finding a resolution.

      I believe CIDA in s. africa is a world leader in this other way round MBA and know that Dr Yunus wishes to help too. When he bumped into the president of France in march, the result was paris' leading business school has been ordered to start a 2 month unlearning MBA course. I am dyng to see what's in it, and what format it takes since Yunus doesnt believe in lecturing people. Equally how to open space so that anyone who believes MBA's are currently  inducted in destroying communities can modularly interface the opposite practices they commend trying that no MBA has ever seen before. These are possibly fun times when simutnaously Bill Gates has been speaking at Harvard -oh what a pity your courses excluded information on half of the world. Only recently did I B.G realise that:  mankind's greatest advances are not in new discoveries themselves but how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity

      chris macrae

      http://journalistsforhumanity.com http://smbaworld.com

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008

        I sometimes begin by recalling that unlike financial accounting assumption that the money always add up, multiplication the true operand of goodwill is much more interesting, but also terrifying because when you add zero to something you leave it unchanged but when you multiply a system by zero you kill it off. From 1998 as a global brand experienced person who had worked both at the world's largest ad agency and a Big 5 accountancy's management consultancy (whatever that was), I had 4 years of discussions with some employees of Anderson about this- their refusal to accept the flow maths of multiplication did not, and as yet does not, augur well for accounting of our knowledge networking age . Alan tells me his book making maps which teenagers, if not Androids,  can Q&A to communally action compound futures back, now about 9 years in the making, may be available by end of July. Fingers crossed. http://journalistsforhumanity.com

        Meanwhile, I and my father (http://www.normanmacrae.com/friends.html whose 64 years service to economic truth to date started in Bangladesh in 1943 and involved 5 decades at The Economist) would absolutely agree with Peter's love of accountancy for community as the molecule -or in system jargon holon - around which all economics maps, all markets couild be free and exponentially fair

        Back in 1984, we wrote :by 2000 the discrepancy in incomes and expectations will be seen as man's biggest risk; to go globally and sustainably, systemic poverty must be ended, give or take a few years this will require that by 2010 a nobel prize winning economist to popularise to over 1 billion tv watchers the new sport of searching for 30000 community-rising and openly replicable projects http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html

        However apart from  backing Muhammad Yunus as the only person who would dare say that good humoredly to a billion people- premiering on Brazil's nationwide tv earlier this month for I hope a big audience to cheer! - what culturally is community-scale is not something for microeconomics (or Gandhian microentrepreneurs) not to be precise about

        Schumacher preceded my father by forecasting globalization would need to network around 2 million villages: I am not clear if he was expecting a village to be 35000 which is what 7 billion beings divided by 2 million comes to. Equally my father and I would beg you to always think of at least 2 ways to define communities classifications worldwide - for example if the internet to innovate any value whatosever the virtual village of 35000 independent thinkers may be just as vital to your economy or the world economy as any geographical partition of 35000 people. If you can always be cosy with 2 opposite classifications in mind handling 3 or more aint that difficult. Choice of 2 truths is so much harder to debate in mass media's soundbitimng era than one.

        PRACTICAL CASES (please help improve their write ups if you will)

        Consider 2 Examples of How Community Economics seems to work in Bangladesh and possibly why community has never worked its transparency in Africa

        1 Bangladesh

        This most brilliantly human place on earth lets us look at what sort of community banking sustains communities and enough independence at a global scale; here I absolutely need to read through a lot more literature to understand the Bangladesh model (in fact we are forming at least 2 different book clubs that I expect will take a year to correct these first parses)

        but roughly Bangladesh as a nation = at least 100,000 dedicated community servants (at Grameen, ASA, BRAC etc) empower over 25 million female microentrepreneurs- according to Bill Clinton that superscaling up is enough to drive the whole economy even if the top politicians are all in jail - currently 7% sustainbale compound growth

        again with just over 10,000 Bangladeshi branches a bank like Grameen has 8 million owners or 800 per branch (though I want to treble check that arithmetic and again does a community of 800 owners sound like what you would expect as village size -particularly as we only have one owner in each household and these may be 5 per household -oddly bringing us not far from 35000 again )...in fact I feel that a grameen bank actually serves whatever villages are within say 10 miles radius of each other (ie multiple villages) -before the English invented trains (and unless you boatd) that was the average distance a human being explored in a lifetime - remeber that when you first intall mobile telegram connections because te economic multipliers of you can hear me now are big!

        2 AFRICA

        I am taking a wild guess (so no worries on my side how much you can help me learn) but I suggest that Africa suffers from a virulent problem that I am not aware any 20th C nation has solved

        what happens when 0.1% of your land is oil/gold etc and 99.9% sand

        ie how is wealth and health shared across all the geography of an Africa nation rather than creating 2 asset-rideen apartheids: those who live in and own the oil well/gold mine and those who don’t. I am aware that the communities who own the gold are variously called corporations, state government, some hybrid but in all cases I am not aware (though future hopeful of middle east models) of a "poor" nation that shares the natural wealth equitably across its peoples as intergenrational time goes by.  And Africa's bad luck is to be endowed with more natural commodity wealth than any continent but never to have progressed equitably beyond the mess that European Empiredom historically mined

        even as at a detail level I have made lots of errors, I hope you will never forget to relentlessly debate how  community is everywhere in the jigsaw puzzle pieces wherever future crisis of human sustainability is compounding up or down

         Can we research the original truth of ENTREPRENEUR

        http://www.ned.com/group/community-general/news/240/

        there can be a lot more in the economics debate at this ned thread which could hugely benefit from you swarming there – though I will try to summarise learnings at http://journalistsforhumanity.com

        which leaves how do we the people debate- I am sorry but I believe the worst in the world for community sustainability is the American democracy every 4 years system  fanned by 15 minutes of ads per 60 minutes of tv viewing. I say this as a mathematician of media not someone who understands politics of left or right anywhere at national levels.  I agree that is extremely ignorant of me.

        PEOPLE POWER DEBATES

        If I could wish: Dr Yunus on tv every might linked into google.org communities searching for 30000 open community projects

        If world citizen nets cannot weave that wish,  we also like:

        Oxford union debates http://oxbridge.tv/_wsn/page3.html

        Open Space 1000 person gatherings the HO way http://futuresunited.com/

        31000 person Gandhi-Montessori schools in one city and thus their parent etacher networks

        We also know ways of turning any global brand into such a Q&A debate but that needs closing down the brand’s ad agency for a year while the people debate how to return communications of image and reality to the same means and the same ends

        You might have guessed the bottom line. As a lover of true community, I would love to hear of other communications methods that celebrate the humanity or flow with the hi-trust entrepreneur.

        chris macrae

        worldcitizen.tv, wholeplanet.tv  washington dc bureau 301 881 1655

        Dear

        ____________
        Peter Burgess
        The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
        www.tr-ac-net. org
        Community Impact Accountancy (CIA)
        Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
        The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetvisio n.blogspot. com
        917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@gmail. com

        Yahoo! Finance

        It's Now Personal

        Guides, news,

        advice & more.

        Y! Messenger

        PC-to-PC calls

        Call your friends

        worldwide - free!

        Discover Tips

        on healthy living

        and healthy eating

        on Yahoo! Groups.

        .

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
        A Smarter Email.
      • Edward Cherlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
          On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM, christopher macrae
          <chris.macrae@...> wrote:

          > Back in 1984, we wrote :by 2000 the discrepancy in incomes and expectations
          > will be seen as man's biggest risk; to go globally and sustainably, systemic
          > poverty must be ended, give or take a few years this will require that by
          > 2010 a nobel prize winning economist to popularise to over 1 billion tv
          > watchers the new sport of searching for 30000 community-rising and openly
          > replicable projects http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html

          Oh, not that many. The great thing about replicable projects is that
          you can replicate them as often as needed. My short list of projects
          to replicate is

          * Microfinance: From Grameen to 10,000+ microfinance institutions
          worldwide so far. Also microinsurance for health care. Something like
          100,000 institutions will finish the job
          * Partners in Health, including health as a basic human right: started
          in Haiti, now in Latin America, Africa, Russia. A long way to go
          still.
          * Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement: Integrated development in half of the
          villages of Sri Lanka. Beginning to move out to other countries. A
          very long way to go.
          * One Laptop Per Child: Promoting collaborative discovery, independent
          thought, and wider sharing in dozens of countries; breaking down
          authoritarian school cultures. A long way to go still, but well under
          way, like the others.

          I'm proposing organizations to research and deploy village-scale
          renewable power sources and Internet connections using microfinance in
          order to bring all of these and many others together. When we have
          powerful education tools with the electricity and communications to
          make full use of them, I am predicting a considerable increase in
          economic growth, fulfillment of the other UN Millennium Development
          Goals (health, clean water, and so on), and far more general
          cooperation in the younger generation, plus their parents and teachers
          to a lesser degree.

          I can provide documentation on the merits of each of these. For
          example, we just got a report on OLPC XOs in Ethiopia. Ethiopia
          mplementation Report, September - December 2007
          http://www.eduvision.ch/en/meta/documents/ethiopiareport_080227a-mh.pdf

          My comments:

          There are a few paragraphs of advertising, claiming that their
          software is better suited than the Sugar Activities for Ethiopian
          teaching methods. The reported test results mostly concerned
          Eduvision's Melopo activities, rather than Sugar Activities. Since
          Melopo is also somewhat collaborative, the results should transfer.

          The most important observation is that teaching with the laptops, even
          under the constraints of the prevailing system, changed teacher
          behavior toward more effective methods. Instead of reciting
          instructions without a chance to try them out, students began to be
          encouraged to work on the computers, following instructions as they
          are given.

          Teachers began to use structured group activities and competitions,
          and to ask students to present material to the class. The structured
          techniques that the teachers put into their XO lesson plans then
          spilled over into their non-computer classes. Where before any
          question from a student was seen as an insult to the teacher, teachers
          began to offer individual instruction while other students were
          occupied on the computers. Students were encouraged to work in small
          groups, and began to help each other. After a time, teachers began to
          allow questions generally, and to set aside time for them.

          Student motivation was observed to be higher because they could mark
          up their electronic texts with notes and highlighting. This is a
          critical software function. Document readers alone are not sufficient.
          Eduvision recommends adding hyperlinks and some software functions to
          electronic texts. (I recommend adding way more software functions.)

          The trial was quite successful in spite of many obstacles, such as XOs
          getting stuck in customs and delays in localizing texts to Amharic,
          and the somewhat unrealistic setting, with lots of professional help
          for teachers every day, and classes half the usual size. Eduvision
          sees how several components of teacher training can be automated, and
          recommends providing sample lesson plans. A larger trial with 5000 XOs
          was planned for April 2008. (I don't know what is actually happening
          with that.)

          We are not talking about a complete changeover to Constructionism on
          the part of teachers, but the basic premise of the program is
          verified: Opportunity to do things better because of appropriate
          technology leads naturally to doing things better, in spite of
          seemingly intractable cultural obstacles. We can get through to the
          teachers, to the great advantage of students. There is more to come,
          but let us be grateful that the XO is accepted as an agent of change
          in addition to its more obvious benefits to schools.

          > However apart from backing Muhammad Yunus as the only person who would dare
          > say that good humoredly to a billion people- premiering on Brazil's
          > nationwide tv earlier this month for I hope a big audience to cheer! - what
          > culturally is community-scale is not something for microeconomics (or
          > Gandhian microentrepreneurs) not to be precise about
          >

          > Schumacher preceded my father by forecasting globalization would need to
          > network around 2 million villages: I am not clear if he was expecting a
          > village to be 35000 which is what 7 billion beings divided by 2 million
          > comes to.

          Villages are up to a few thousand. Most of the rest of the world's
          population is in larger towns and cities. I don't know whether 2
          million is right, but it can't be more than 4 million.

          > Equally my father and I would beg you to always think of at least
          > 2 ways to define communities classifications worldwide - for example if the
          > internet to innovate any value whatosever the virtual village of 35000
          > independent thinkers may be just as vital to your economy or the world

          One of the points about Constructionist education is to greatly
          increase the proportion of independent thinkers in the population.

          > economy as any geographical partition of 35000 people. If you can always be
          > cosy with 2 opposite classifications in mind handling 3 or more aint that
          > difficult. Choice of 2 truths is so much harder to debate in mass media's
          > soundbiting era than one.
          >

          > PRACTICAL CASES (please help improve their write ups if you will)
          >
          > Consider 2 Examples of How Community Economics seems to work in Bangladesh
          > and possibly why community has never worked its transparency in Africa
          >

          > 1 Bangladesh
          >
          > This most brilliantly human place on earth lets us look at what sort of
          > community banking sustains communities and enough independence at a global
          > scale; here I absolutely need to read through a lot more literature to
          > understand the Bangladesh model (in fact we are forming at least 2 different
          > book clubs that I expect will take a year to correct these first parses)
          >

          > but roughly Bangladesh as a nation = at least 100,000 dedicated community
          > servants (at Grameen, ASA, BRAC etc) empower over 25 million female
          > microentrepreneurs- according to Bill Clinton that superscaling up is enough
          > to drive the whole economy even if the top politicians are all in jail -
          > currently 7% sustainbale compound growth
          >

          > again with just over 10,000 Bangladeshi branches a bank like Grameen has 8
          > million owners or 800 per branch (though I want to treble check that
          > arithmetic and again does a community of 800 owners sound like what you
          > would expect as village size -particularly as we only have one owner in each
          > household and these may be 5 per household -oddly bringing us not far from
          > 35000 again )...in fact I feel that a grameen bank actually serves whatever
          > villages are within say 10 miles radius of each other (ie multiple villages)

          Yes.

          > -before the English invented trains (and unless you boatd) that was the
          > average distance a human being explored in a lifetime - remeber that when
          > you first intall mobile telegram connections because te economic
          > multipliers of you can hear me now are big!
          >

          > 2 AFRICA
          >
          > I am taking a wild guess (so no worries on my side how much you can help me
          > learn) but I suggest that Africa suffers from a virulent problem that I am
          > not aware any 20th C nation has solved
          >

          > what happens when 0.1% of your land is oil/gold etc and 99.9% sand
          >

          > ie how is wealth and health shared across all the geography of an Africa
          > nation rather than creating 2 asset-rideen apartheids: those who live in and
          > own the oil well/gold mine and those who don't. I am aware that the
          > communities who own the gold are variously called corporations, state
          > government, some hybrid but in all cases I am not aware (though future
          > hopeful of middle east models) of a "poor" nation that shares the natural
          > wealth equitably across its peoples as intergenrational time goes by. And
          > Africa's bad luck is to be endowed with more natural commodity wealth than
          > any continent but never to have progressed equitably beyond the mess that
          > European Empiredom historically mined
          >

          > even as at a detail level I have made lots of errors, I hope you will never
          > forget to relentlessly debate how community is everywhere in the jigsaw
          > puzzle pieces wherever future crisis of human sustainability is compounding
          > up or down

          Bangladesh was also part of the British Empire, and was remorselessly
          pillaged for centuries.

          One of the better correlates with growth in the last fifty years is
          the prior commitment to education in the culture, including the idea
          (if not always the practice) that the purpose of government is the
          well-being of the entire nation, for various definitions of
          well-being.

          > Can we research the original truth of ENTREPRENEUR
          >
          > http://www.ned.com/group/community-general/news/240/
          >
          > there can be a lot more in the economics debate at this ned thread which
          > could hugely benefit from you swarming there – though I will try to
          > summarise learnings at http://journalistsforhumanity.com

          I hear that free markets work well. We should try it sometime.

          > which leaves how do we the people debate- I am sorry but I believe the worst
          > in the world for community sustainability is the American democracy every 4
          > years system fanned by 15 minutes of ads per 60 minutes of tv viewing. I
          > say this as a mathematician of media not someone who understands politics of
          > left or right anywhere at national levels. I agree that is extremely
          > ignorant of me.

          There is definitely something to be said for a simple vote of No
          Confidence rather than a legalistic impeachment process that the
          legislature dare not invoke.

          > PEOPLE POWER DEBATES
          >
          > If I could wish: Dr Yunus on tv every might linked into google.org
          > communities searching for 30000 open community projects
          >

          > If world citizen nets cannot weave that wish, we also like:
          >
          > Oxford union debates http://oxbridge.tv/_wsn/page3.html
          >
          > Open Space 1000 person gatherings the HO way http://futuresunited.com/
          >
          > 31000 person Gandhi-Montessori schools in one city and thus their parent
          > etacher networks

          The Montessori movement has become utterly hidebound. Instead of
          continuing to recognize even more ways that children invent for
          themselves to learn, they have become rigid orthodoxies each assuring
          themselves that the others have got it all wrong. (The experience that
          did it for me was when my daughter decided to do a jigsaw puzzle
          upside down as an additional challenge, and the Montessori school
          teacher wouldn't let her.)

          One Laptop Per Child has inherited the Montessori mantle by promoting
          collaborative discovery, encouraging students to find new ways of
          using the tools provided, and even to create new tools.

          > We also know ways of turning any global brand into such a Q&A debate but
          > that needs closing down the brand's ad agency for a year while the people
          > debate how to return communications of image and reality to the same means
          > and the same ends
          >

          > You might have guessed the bottom line. As a lover of true community, I
          > would love to hear of other communications methods that celebrate the
          > humanity or flow with the hi-trust entrepreneur.

          We're working on it.

          --
          Edward Cherlin
          http://www.EarthTreasury.org/