Re: [learningfromeachother] WWP Dadamac and Re: [mendenyo] Kofi Thompson in Ghana

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
      Not long ago, Kofi Thompson wrote:
      >> Hello Andrius,
      >> I sent you a message the other day, in which I said you deserved the Noble
      >> Peace Prize And today, I decided to contact you again - after I watched a
      >> videoblog of you being interviewed. In my view, it is just so important
      >> that well-meaning foreigners like you, don't get stuck in the
      >> "Africa-is-a-basket-case" mindset. In the midst of Africa's abundance, why
      >> aren't well-meaning foreigners like you, seeing that by helping Africans
      >> to export goods and services to nations like yours, poverty can be made
      >> history, in Africa?

      I work with One Laptop Per Child, Sugar Labs, Minciu Sodas, and others
      on these issues. I believe that microfinance for local electric power
      generation and Internet connections would be the breakthrough needed
      to get everybody in the world access to markets and to everything else
      needed for serious economic growth, along with health care and other
      necessities. Earth Treasury is putting a plan together to do this, and
      will be looking for funding to get it started.

      The other requirement is education. Getting One Laptop Per Child
      laptop computers for every child in the world would cost about $25
      billion annually, once the next generation appears at $75. This is
      well within national education plus global aid budgets, if the world
      can muster the political will to redirect them. Getting $25 billion of
      growth annually in order to repay loans or provide tax revenue will be
      a bit difficult starting out, but compound growth, like compound
      interest, should take care of that within a few years. Barack Obama
      has proposed a $2 billion Education Fund, a good slice of what is
      needed.

      Andrius, I, and others are meeting today to put a new organization
      plan together for various Schools on important topics. Pamela will get
      Poverty, I have Learning, and so on.

      >> Take your Kenyan friends, for example.

      I hear that Senator beer from Kenya is now universally known as Obama beer. ^_^

      >> There are over
      >> two million Russans who now take holidays abroad - and have sufficient
      >> cash to spend on those holidays. Would it not be far more sustainable in
      >> the long term, for your "social enterprise", to set up a web-based tour
      >> company (with its website in Russian!) with poor Kenyans as partners, to
      >> offer safari holidays for some of those millions of relatively well-off
      >> Russians? And would such a venture not give a whole new meaning to that
      >> phrase "multinational corporation" from one that connotates exploitation -
      >> to one that symbolises a partnership of caringand equal individuals,
      >> from many nations - both rich and poor?

      I'm fairly sure that I can get you Russian-speaking partners at
      schools in Mongolia in the OLPC program. Trials are supposed to start
      in Russia itself sometime soon.

      >> And if you repeat the same idea in
      >> places like Ghana, would an investment in a chocolate factory, exporting
      >> chocolate from here to Russia (with the chocolate bars labelled in
      >> Russian!) for example, not help poor cocoa farmers in places like Akim
      >> Abuakwa Juaso, where one of myown family's farms, is located?

      We will be able to recruit partners in Spanish-speaking Latin America,
      the Francophonie, and other large language/culture groups around the
      world.

      >> And would a
      >> partnership in such a factory between your well-offWestern members and
      >> those poor farmers, not change both your lives for the better - yours and
      >> theirs? Then there is that hardy tropical plant Jetropha - which grows
      >> even in the poorestof soils and is perfect for biodiesel production. Would
      >> yet another a partnership between your Western members and thousands of
      >> landless peasants (in which your well-off Westerners join them to buy up
      >> marginal, unwanted and unproductive land in poor nations like Ghana, to go
      >> into the production of biodiesel ( using Jetropha as the raw material!),
      >> not benefit all involved - and contribute to the fight against global
      >> warming, without taking away land for food production?

      Is there still a glut of palm oil in some African countries? Turning
      it into biodiesel (and soap as the principal byproduct) should help
      the growers if so.

      >> And would you not
      >> be able to source funds from Ghana's quota, of the clean development
      >> mechanism (CDM) under the Kyoto Treaty, for such a venture? And would that
      >> not be a more beneficial and dignified way to proceed - than sending
      >> money to needy people in frica, who are "robbed" simply to tide them over
      >> for a short period? What possible long-term benefit can accrue to them and
      >> their communities from such "munificence"of generous-spirited foreigners?

      Perhaps Ghana would be interested in funding microfinance for
      renewable village power sources?

      --
      Edward Cherlin
      http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
        Dear Colleagues

        This responds to Edward Cherlin's recent message.

        As you formulate big plans, please do not forget to put in an
        accountancy component. While I learned accounting in the UK where
        "stodgy" and "negative" might have been reasonable adjectives to
        describe the profession, I applied what I learned in the corporate US
        where chief accountant was called "controller".

        I used to describe the controller job as a little bit like trying to
        drive a Ferrari with a stearing wheel, gas pedal and brake. The goal
        of a good controller: to get to the goal as soon as possible by going
        in the right direction (stearing wheel) ... as fast as possible (gas
        pedal) ... and only braking in an emergency.

        My idea of accountancy is to make it a tool that keeps us on the right
        track and helping to get the right decisions made by everyone, and
        especially those that are external to any core group of "good" folk.
        Accountancy facilitates getting good results faster rather than slower
        when done well.

        Community Impact Accountancy has a valuable role to play in any
        business ... and especially where the aim is to have a balance between
        social good, hard costs, sustainability and being fair to investors.

        Best wishes

        Peter
        ____________
        Peter Burgess
        The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
        www.tr-ac-net.org
        Community Impact Accountancy (CIA)
        Integrated Malaria Management Consortium (IMMC)
        The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetvision.blogspot.com
        917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
          Peter and Andrius
          Peter - If we want to do Community Impact Accountancy in Dadamac how do we go about it?
          Andrius - ref you idea of  having "Schools of.... " in Minciu Sodas. Do/should we have a business school?  Could it include accountancy -  Community Impact Accountancy? Can I be a student?
          Pam

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008
            On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@...> wrote:
            > Dear Colleagues

            Hi, Peter.

            > This responds to Edward Cherlin's recent message.
            >
            > As you formulate big plans, please do not forget to put in an
            > accountancy component. While I learned accounting in the UK where
            > "stodgy" and "negative" might have been reasonable adjectives to
            > describe the profession, I applied what I learned in the corporate US
            > where chief accountant was called "controller".

            I am working on a broader program of evaluation of projects, where we
            have to begin by asking what are the appropriate measures, financial
            controls and transparency being two that rank high on the list in
            general. This is essential in any form of microfinance. But see
            http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai/Evaluation for a very
            different example.

            > I used to describe the controller job as a little bit like trying to
            > drive a Ferrari with a stearing wheel, gas pedal and brake. The goal
            > of a good controller: to get to the goal as soon as possible by going
            > in the right direction (stearing wheel) ... as fast as possible (gas
            > pedal) ... and only braking in an emergency.

            Now it's like flying a fighter jet that is designed to be dynamically
            unstable for better maneuverability, so it can only remain aloft as
            long as the computers are operating correctly. (I worked on
            documenting avionics grade software at one time.)

            > My idea of accountancy is to make it a tool that keeps us on the right
            > track and helping to get the right decisions made by everyone, and
            > especially those that are external to any core group of "good" folk.
            > Accountancy facilitates getting good results faster rather than slower
            > when done well.

            A good controller's effect has been described as a flywheel that
            maintains forward momentum without letting the company get out of
            control.

            Edward Cherlin
            http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
          • christopher macrae
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2008

              Harrison Owen , founder of open space meetings, is one of the very few people in my life that I was overjoyed to travel half way round the world to see and try to learn from. About 7 years ago,  I arrived on a lucky day when he kindly gave me about 4 hours of his time and many amazing stories from a life of conflict resolution.

              A relevant one: soon after inventing open space around 1984, he had a meeting with the people in USA most responsible for what is in the traditional MBA curricula. He thought that his method -which whenever it is truly hosted I find to be both the most likely to induce innovation all through peoples of a community in crisis, and a far more engaging way of learning than podium speakers - might be relevant to MBAs especially at the dawn of a networking age (something harrison is a hugely successful cheerleader of). Instead, after listening over lunch, the main man said: Harrison if you are right 95% of what we teach is out of date. From that day on open space has been pretty well censored out of MBAs.

              So I think the breakthrough question we could focus on is: what things could a 21st C MBA be designed round so as to unlearn too much top-down standard theories and rejoice in context-up empowerment. Over the last 10 years I have surveyed the 10 biggest professions of globalisation and found at least one mathematically absurd thing that each still does the same way that they did 50 or 100 years ago even though the real world has moved on. These global professions are monopolies that chain us all. None values its hippocratic oath as much as continuing its business monopoly to rule from the top the way things once may have been when industry was mainly about machines not people, and geography made distant communications costly or late. Harrison has a 3C mnemonic which I love. An environment change comes along introducing Conflicts to the way we were.  For whatever reason, a big organisation doesnt see the change. So every cycle conflicts compound -a perfect storm that harrison calls Chaos. By this time the people at the top of the organisation are causing the most Confusion of all -it is their insistence on following hard rules that before the change may have been perfectly correct which is the biggest barrier to the community finding a resolution.

              I believe CIDA in s. africa is a world leader in this other way round MBA and know that Dr Yunus wishes to help too. When he bumped into the president of France in march, the result was paris' leading business school has been ordered to start a 2 month unlearning MBA course. I am dyng to see what's in it, and what format it takes since Yunus doesnt believe in lecturing people. Equally how to open space so that anyone who believes MBA's are currently  inducted in destroying communities can modularly interface the opposite practices they commend trying that no MBA has ever seen before. These are possibly fun times when simutnaously Bill Gates has been speaking at Harvard -oh what a pity your courses excluded information on half of the world. Only recently did I B.G realise that:  mankind's greatest advances are not in new discoveries themselves but how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity

              chris macrae

              http://journalistsforhumanity.com http://smbaworld.com

              2008/6/20 Peter Burgess <peterbnyc@gmail. com>:
[...]

              917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@gmail. com

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
              A Smarter Email.
            • christopher macrae
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008

                I sometimes begin by recalling that unlike financial accounting assumption that the money always add up, multiplication the true operand of goodwill is much more interesting, but also terrifying because when you add zero to something you leave it unchanged but when you multiply a system by zero you kill it off. From 1998 as a global brand experienced person who had worked both at the world's largest ad agency and a Big 5 accountancy's management consultancy (whatever that was), I had 4 years of discussions with some employees of Anderson about this- their refusal to accept the flow maths of multiplication did not, and as yet does not, augur well for accounting of our knowledge networking age . Alan tells me his book making maps which teenagers, if not Androids,  can Q&A to communally action compound futures back, now about 9 years in the making, may be available by end of July. Fingers crossed. http://journalistsforhumanity.com

                Meanwhile, I and my father (http://www.normanmacrae.com/friends.html whose 64 years service to economic truth to date started in Bangladesh in 1943 and involved 5 decades at The Economist) would absolutely agree with Peter's love of accountancy for community as the molecule -or in system jargon holon - around which all economics maps, all markets couild be free and exponentially fair

                Back in 1984, we wrote :by 2000 the discrepancy in incomes and expectations will be seen as man's biggest risk; to go globally and sustainably, systemic poverty must be ended, give or take a few years this will require that by 2010 a nobel prize winning economist to popularise to over 1 billion tv watchers the new sport of searching for 30000 community-rising and openly replicable projects http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html

                However apart from  backing Muhammad Yunus as the only person who would dare say that good humoredly to a billion people- premiering on Brazil's nationwide tv earlier this month for I hope a big audience to cheer! - what culturally is community-scale is not something for microeconomics (or Gandhian microentrepreneurs) not to be precise about

                Schumacher preceded my father by forecasting globalization would need to network around 2 million villages: I am not clear if he was expecting a village to be 35000 which is what 7 billion beings divided by 2 million comes to. Equally my father and I would beg you to always think of at least 2 ways to define communities classifications worldwide - for example if the internet to innovate any value whatosever the virtual village of 35000 independent thinkers may be just as vital to your economy or the world economy as any geographical partition of 35000 people. If you can always be cosy with 2 opposite classifications in mind handling 3 or more aint that difficult. Choice of 2 truths is so much harder to debate in mass media's soundbitimng era than one.

                PRACTICAL CASES (please help improve their write ups if you will)

                Consider 2 Examples of How Community Economics seems to work in Bangladesh and possibly why community has never worked its transparency in Africa

                1 Bangladesh

                This most brilliantly human place on earth lets us look at what sort of community banking sustains communities and enough independence at a global scale; here I absolutely need to read through a lot more literature to understand the Bangladesh model (in fact we are forming at least 2 different book clubs that I expect will take a year to correct these first parses)

                but roughly Bangladesh as a nation = at least 100,000 dedicated community servants (at Grameen, ASA, BRAC etc) empower over 25 million female microentrepreneurs- according to Bill Clinton that superscaling up is enough to drive the whole economy even if the top politicians are all in jail - currently 7% sustainbale compound growth

                again with just over 10,000 Bangladeshi branches a bank like Grameen has 8 million owners or 800 per branch (though I want to treble check that arithmetic and again does a community of 800 owners sound like what you would expect as village size -particularly as we only have one owner in each household and these may be 5 per household -oddly bringing us not far from 35000 again )...in fact I feel that a grameen bank actually serves whatever villages are within say 10 miles radius of each other (ie multiple villages) -before the English invented trains (and unless you boatd) that was the average distance a human being explored in a lifetime - remeber that when you first intall mobile telegram connections because te economic multipliers of you can hear me now are big!

                2 AFRICA

                I am taking a wild guess (so no worries on my side how much you can help me learn) but I suggest that Africa suffers from a virulent problem that I am not aware any 20th C nation has solved

                what happens when 0.1% of your land is oil/gold etc and 99.9% sand

                ie how is wealth and health shared across all the geography of an Africa nation rather than creating 2 asset-rideen apartheids: those who live in and own the oil well/gold mine and those who don’t. I am aware that the communities who own the gold are variously called corporations, state government, some hybrid but in all cases I am not aware (though future hopeful of middle east models) of a "poor" nation that shares the natural wealth equitably across its peoples as intergenrational time goes by.  And Africa's bad luck is to be endowed with more natural commodity wealth than any continent but never to have progressed equitably beyond the mess that European Empiredom historically mined

                even as at a detail level I have made lots of errors, I hope you will never forget to relentlessly debate how  community is everywhere in the jigsaw puzzle pieces wherever future crisis of human sustainability is compounding up or down

                 Can we research the original truth of ENTREPRENEUR

                http://www.ned.com/group/community-general/news/240/

                there can be a lot more in the economics debate at this ned thread which could hugely benefit from you swarming there – though I will try to summarise learnings at http://journalistsforhumanity.com

                which leaves how do we the people debate- I am sorry but I believe the worst in the world for community sustainability is the American democracy every 4 years system  fanned by 15 minutes of ads per 60 minutes of tv viewing. I say this as a mathematician of media not someone who understands politics of left or right anywhere at national levels.  I agree that is extremely ignorant of me.

                PEOPLE POWER DEBATES

                If I could wish: Dr Yunus on tv every might linked into google.org communities searching for 30000 open community projects

                If world citizen nets cannot weave that wish,  we also like:

                Oxford union debates http://oxbridge.tv/_wsn/page3.html

                Open Space 1000 person gatherings the HO way http://futuresunited.com/

                31000 person Gandhi-Montessori schools in one city and thus their parent etacher networks

                We also know ways of turning any global brand into such a Q&A debate but that needs closing down the brand’s ad agency for a year while the people debate how to return communications of image and reality to the same means and the same ends

                You might have guessed the bottom line. As a lover of true community, I would love to hear of other communications methods that celebrate the humanity or flow with the hi-trust entrepreneur.

                chris macrae

                worldcitizen.tv, wholeplanet.tv  washington dc bureau 301 881 1655

                --- On Fri, 20/6/08, Peter Burgess <peterbNYC@...> wrote:

                Dear

[...]

                Yahoo! Finance

                It's Now Personal

                Guides, news,

                advice & more.

                Y! Messenger

                PC-to-PC calls

                Call your friends

                worldwide - free!

                Discover Tips

                on healthy living

                and healthy eating

                on Yahoo! Groups.

                .

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
                A Smarter Email.
              • Edward Cherlin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
                  On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 8:22 AM, christopher macrae
                  <chris.macrae@...> wrote:

                  > Back in 1984, we wrote :by 2000 the discrepancy in incomes and expectations
                  > will be seen as man's biggest risk; to go globally and sustainably, systemic
                  > poverty must be ended, give or take a few years this will require that by
                  > 2010 a nobel prize winning economist to popularise to over 1 billion tv
                  > watchers the new sport of searching for 30000 community-rising and openly
                  > replicable projects http://www.normanmacrae.com/netfuture.html

                  Oh, not that many. The great thing about replicable projects is that
                  you can replicate them as often as needed. My short list of projects
                  to replicate is

                  * Microfinance: From Grameen to 10,000+ microfinance institutions
                  worldwide so far. Also microinsurance for health care. Something like
                  100,000 institutions will finish the job
                  * Partners in Health, including health as a basic human right: started
                  in Haiti, now in Latin America, Africa, Russia. A long way to go
                  still.
                  * Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement: Integrated development in half of the
                  villages of Sri Lanka. Beginning to move out to other countries. A
                  very long way to go.
                  * One Laptop Per Child: Promoting collaborative discovery, independent
                  thought, and wider sharing in dozens of countries; breaking down
                  authoritarian school cultures. A long way to go still, but well under
                  way, like the others.

                  I'm proposing organizations to research and deploy village-scale
                  renewable power sources and Internet connections using microfinance in
                  order to bring all of these and many others together. When we have
                  powerful education tools with the electricity and communications to
                  make full use of them, I am predicting a considerable increase in
                  economic growth, fulfillment of the other UN Millennium Development
                  Goals (health, clean water, and so on), and far more general
                  cooperation in the younger generation, plus their parents and teachers
                  to a lesser degree.

                  I can provide documentation on the merits of each of these. For
                  example, we just got a report on OLPC XOs in Ethiopia. Ethiopia
                  mplementation Report, September - December 2007
                  http://www.eduvision.ch/en/meta/documents/ethiopiareport_080227a-mh.pdf

                  My comments:

                  There are a few paragraphs of advertising, claiming that their
                  software is better suited than the Sugar Activities for Ethiopian
                  teaching methods. The reported test results mostly concerned
                  Eduvision's Melopo activities, rather than Sugar Activities. Since
                  Melopo is also somewhat collaborative, the results should transfer.

                  The most important observation is that teaching with the laptops, even
                  under the constraints of the prevailing system, changed teacher
                  behavior toward more effective methods. Instead of reciting
                  instructions without a chance to try them out, students began to be
                  encouraged to work on the computers, following instructions as they
                  are given.

                  Teachers began to use structured group activities and competitions,
                  and to ask students to present material to the class. The structured
                  techniques that the teachers put into their XO lesson plans then
                  spilled over into their non-computer classes. Where before any
                  question from a student was seen as an insult to the teacher, teachers
                  began to offer individual instruction while other students were
                  occupied on the computers. Students were encouraged to work in small
                  groups, and began to help each other. After a time, teachers began to
                  allow questions generally, and to set aside time for them.

                  Student motivation was observed to be higher because they could mark
                  up their electronic texts with notes and highlighting. This is a
                  critical software function. Document readers alone are not sufficient.
                  Eduvision recommends adding hyperlinks and some software functions to
                  electronic texts. (I recommend adding way more software functions.)

                  The trial was quite successful in spite of many obstacles, such as XOs
                  getting stuck in customs and delays in localizing texts to Amharic,
                  and the somewhat unrealistic setting, with lots of professional help
                  for teachers every day, and classes half the usual size. Eduvision
                  sees how several components of teacher training can be automated, and
                  recommends providing sample lesson plans. A larger trial with 5000 XOs
                  was planned for April 2008. (I don't know what is actually happening
                  with that.)

                  We are not talking about a complete changeover to Constructionism on
                  the part of teachers, but the basic premise of the program is
                  verified: Opportunity to do things better because of appropriate
                  technology leads naturally to doing things better, in spite of
                  seemingly intractable cultural obstacles. We can get through to the
                  teachers, to the great advantage of students. There is more to come,
                  but let us be grateful that the XO is accepted as an agent of change
                  in addition to its more obvious benefits to schools.

                  > However apart from backing Muhammad Yunus as the only person who would dare
                  > say that good humoredly to a billion people- premiering on Brazil's
                  > nationwide tv earlier this month for I hope a big audience to cheer! - what
                  > culturally is community-scale is not something for microeconomics (or
                  > Gandhian microentrepreneurs) not to be precise about
                  >

                  > Schumacher preceded my father by forecasting globalization would need to
                  > network around 2 million villages: I am not clear if he was expecting a
                  > village to be 35000 which is what 7 billion beings divided by 2 million
                  > comes to.

                  Villages are up to a few thousand. Most of the rest of the world's
                  population is in larger towns and cities. I don't know whether 2
                  million is right, but it can't be more than 4 million.

                  > Equally my father and I would beg you to always think of at least
                  > 2 ways to define communities classifications worldwide - for example if the
                  > internet to innovate any value whatosever the virtual village of 35000
                  > independent thinkers may be just as vital to your economy or the world

                  One of the points about Constructionist education is to greatly
                  increase the proportion of independent thinkers in the population.

                  > economy as any geographical partition of 35000 people. If you can always be
                  > cosy with 2 opposite classifications in mind handling 3 or more aint that
                  > difficult. Choice of 2 truths is so much harder to debate in mass media's
                  > soundbiting era than one.
                  >

                  > PRACTICAL CASES (please help improve their write ups if you will)
                  >
                  > Consider 2 Examples of How Community Economics seems to work in Bangladesh
                  > and possibly why community has never worked its transparency in Africa
                  >

                  > 1 Bangladesh
                  >
                  > This most brilliantly human place on earth lets us look at what sort of
                  > community banking sustains communities and enough independence at a global
                  > scale; here I absolutely need to read through a lot more literature to
                  > understand the Bangladesh model (in fact we are forming at least 2 different
                  > book clubs that I expect will take a year to correct these first parses)
                  >

                  > but roughly Bangladesh as a nation = at least 100,000 dedicated community
                  > servants (at Grameen, ASA, BRAC etc) empower over 25 million female
                  > microentrepreneurs- according to Bill Clinton that superscaling up is enough
                  > to drive the whole economy even if the top politicians are all in jail -
                  > currently 7% sustainbale compound growth
                  >

                  > again with just over 10,000 Bangladeshi branches a bank like Grameen has 8
                  > million owners or 800 per branch (though I want to treble check that
                  > arithmetic and again does a community of 800 owners sound like what you
                  > would expect as village size -particularly as we only have one owner in each
                  > household and these may be 5 per household -oddly bringing us not far from
                  > 35000 again )...in fact I feel that a grameen bank actually serves whatever
                  > villages are within say 10 miles radius of each other (ie multiple villages)

                  Yes.

                  > -before the English invented trains (and unless you boatd) that was the
                  > average distance a human being explored in a lifetime - remeber that when
                  > you first intall mobile telegram connections because te economic
                  > multipliers of you can hear me now are big!
                  >

                  > 2 AFRICA
                  >
                  > I am taking a wild guess (so no worries on my side how much you can help me
                  > learn) but I suggest that Africa suffers from a virulent problem that I am
                  > not aware any 20th C nation has solved
                  >

                  > what happens when 0.1% of your land is oil/gold etc and 99.9% sand
                  >

                  > ie how is wealth and health shared across all the geography of an Africa
                  > nation rather than creating 2 asset-rideen apartheids: those who live in and
                  > own the oil well/gold mine and those who don't. I am aware that the
                  > communities who own the gold are variously called corporations, state
                  > government, some hybrid but in all cases I am not aware (though future
                  > hopeful of middle east models) of a "poor" nation that shares the natural
                  > wealth equitably across its peoples as intergenrational time goes by. And
                  > Africa's bad luck is to be endowed with more natural commodity wealth than
                  > any continent but never to have progressed equitably beyond the mess that
                  > European Empiredom historically mined
                  >

                  > even as at a detail level I have made lots of errors, I hope you will never
                  > forget to relentlessly debate how community is everywhere in the jigsaw
                  > puzzle pieces wherever future crisis of human sustainability is compounding
                  > up or down

                  Bangladesh was also part of the British Empire, and was remorselessly
                  pillaged for centuries.

                  One of the better correlates with growth in the last fifty years is
                  the prior commitment to education in the culture, including the idea
                  (if not always the practice) that the purpose of government is the
                  well-being of the entire nation, for various definitions of
                  well-being.

                  > Can we research the original truth of ENTREPRENEUR
                  >
                  > http://www.ned.com/group/community-general/news/240/
                  >
                  > there can be a lot more in the economics debate at this ned thread which
                  > could hugely benefit from you swarming there – though I will try to
                  > summarise learnings at http://journalistsforhumanity.com

                  I hear that free markets work well. We should try it sometime.

                  > which leaves how do we the people debate- I am sorry but I believe the worst
                  > in the world for community sustainability is the American democracy every 4
                  > years system fanned by 15 minutes of ads per 60 minutes of tv viewing. I
                  > say this as a mathematician of media not someone who understands politics of
                  > left or right anywhere at national levels. I agree that is extremely
                  > ignorant of me.

                  There is definitely something to be said for a simple vote of No
                  Confidence rather than a legalistic impeachment process that the
                  legislature dare not invoke.

                  > PEOPLE POWER DEBATES
                  >
                  > If I could wish: Dr Yunus on tv every might linked into google.org
                  > communities searching for 30000 open community projects
                  >

                  > If world citizen nets cannot weave that wish, we also like:
                  >
                  > Oxford union debates http://oxbridge.tv/_wsn/page3.html
                  >
                  > Open Space 1000 person gatherings the HO way http://futuresunited.com/
                  >
                  > 31000 person Gandhi-Montessori schools in one city and thus their parent
                  > etacher networks

                  The Montessori movement has become utterly hidebound. Instead of
                  continuing to recognize even more ways that children invent for
                  themselves to learn, they have become rigid orthodoxies each assuring
                  themselves that the others have got it all wrong. (The experience that
                  did it for me was when my daughter decided to do a jigsaw puzzle
                  upside down as an additional challenge, and the Montessori school
                  teacher wouldn't let her.)

                  One Laptop Per Child has inherited the Montessori mantle by promoting
                  collaborative discovery, encouraging students to find new ways of
                  using the tools provided, and even to create new tools.

                  > We also know ways of turning any global brand into such a Q&A debate but
                  > that needs closing down the brand's ad agency for a year while the people
                  > debate how to return communications of image and reality to the same means
                  > and the same ends
                  >

                  > You might have guessed the bottom line. As a lover of true community, I
                  > would love to hear of other communications methods that celebrate the
                  > humanity or flow with the hi-trust entrepreneur.

                  We're working on it.