"Minciu sodas" financial situation

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2008
      I just want to give an overview of the financial situation for Minciu
      Sodas. I am the sole proprietor. Minciu Sodas is registered in Vilnius,
      Lithuania. I am a dual citizen and taxpayer of Lithuania and the USA.

      Currently, my only expected sources of income are from the Knight News
      Challenge:
      * 7,000 USD should come in July, 2008 or soon afterwards
      * 7,000 USD will come in June, 2008 if they are happy with my blogging
      Another 1,000 USD goes for administration costs to an intermediary they
      are working through.

      Also, we will get 5,000 EUR of travel money to attend four COMMUNIA
      meetings. COMMUNIA is the European Union's thematic network for the
      Public Domain. http://www.communia-project.eu The next meeting that we
      can get travel money for is October 20-21 in Amsterdam.
      http://www.kennisland.nl http://www.knowledgeland.org The topic is
      "Marking the Public Domain: relinquishment and certification" which is
      relevant for our Minciu Sodas laboratory's venues, which we mark "Public
      Domain except as noted". If you are interested in this topic and would
      like to participate more in COMMUNIA, then please let us know. I don't
      think that we can get visas for our African participants unless they can
      get them otherwise. But we can use the money bring people from Europe or
      from the US (perhaps Jeff or Marcin or Mark or Ben?) Also, the January
      2009 meeting will be in Torino, Italy so Agnese or another person from
      Italy could invite somebody from Africa if they are interested.

      COMMUNIA gave 10,000 EUR for the March meeting in Vilnius which we
      organized. Of this money, about 2,000 EUR went for the venue and meals,
      4,000 EUR to our participants in Lithuania, and about 4,000 EUR to me.

      Our lab distributed about 25,000 USD of our participants' own money during
      the Kenya crisis in January and February of 2008. And I estimate that our
      participants distributed a similar amount directly to Kenyans. Overall,
      my guess is that in the last 12 months we have a gift economy of about
      100,000 USD which includes travel, laptops, cameras, etc. For example, in
      traveling to the Bay Area, rather than stay in a hotel, I have stayed with
      Shannon Clark and with Mark Roest and will have contributed about $740
      total plus some goods, and will have stayed for about 45 days which would
      be about $3,000 at the cheapest hotel. And there are many greater
      consequences of our sharing and being together, and the possibilities grow
      into the future. Special thank you to Jeff Buderer for linking me with
      Mark Roest.

      In 2007 thanks to Franz Nahrada our team in Lithuania did a European Union
      project to build video bridges. This went through the Folk Creativity Club
      "Atzalynas", which a nonprofit, whereas "Minciu Sodas" is for profit. We
      received 10,000 euros from the EU and Minciu Sodas (Andrius) had to
      contribute 4,000 euros. The result was that I earned back the money that
      I put in, we purchased 4,000 euros worth of video bridge equipment, and
      our participants earned about 4,000 euros, and we paid some expenses.

      Unfortunately, April 2007, the city took away the "Atzalynas" building (a
      community center that I was supporting and where I was squatting) and
      since then in the process of "renovation" it has been stripped and left in
      an unusable state. What's saddest is that the local community leaders
      don't want me there. So I lived in parent's office for about a year.
      When I return my plan is to live as much as possible in the village of
      Eiciunai where Audrone and Zenonas Anusauskas are "global villagers". My
      friend Rimas purchased a car for 1,000 USD and he let me buy half for 500
      USD and it runs well enough and so I will be able to use it quite a bit.

      May 2007 I about 100 hours of part-time web programming work for Mihai
      Boscaru http://www.pro-it-service.com for which I never got paid anything.
      It turned out to be for a chain of intermediaries working on a corporate
      website https://www.myarcelormittal.com/transformingtomorrow/ and when
      they didn't use my work they refused to pay me. After that I haven't
      pursued such work. I think the wage scales for such work have dropped and
      the expectations risen and the market widened. But also, I have had quite
      a few clients who end up not paying for part of the work. For example,
      and I get caught in between and as the little guy I get paid last or not
      at all, I have no leverage or justice available. I worked on Civic Space
      websites for Christopher Winn who did the work for Rights Working Group
      http://www.rightsworkinggroup.org but I never received the final $1,800
      from either of them, even though they were happy with my work, but they
      had a disagreement amongst themselves.

      I think well-paying temporary part-time work (say 20 hours per week) is
      good for everybody in our lab and means that we have enough time to focus
      on our projects. For me that would be about $40 an hour and as I have a
      PhD in mathematics and more than ten years experience part-time as a
      programmer that should seem possible. Also, we should develop a culture of
      sharing part-time work and building teams for work. But I am at a dead end
      with this and also for many jobs unemployable or unhireable. I appreciate
      creative thoughts or opportunities, though. Here is my resume:
      http://www.worknets.org/upload/AndriusKulikauskas/andriuskulikauskasresume.doc

      Our largest project so far was My Food Story http://www.myfoodstory.info
      for Greg Wolff of Unamesa Association. We earned $24,000 in 6 months of
      which I got a bit more than half and our team the rest. Our work in the
      Pyramid of Peace http://www.pyramidofpeace.net was similar in spirit. We
      are good at organizing global teams with 100 or 1,000 participants. We
      also have a culture that attracts self-directed, values-driven,
      accountable people which means that we can send them $100 for a small
      project even though we may have never met them.

      I'm encouraged that we're making good progress with the Includer
      http://www.includer.org and there is good reason why we might get some
      related work. But it could easily take a year. It does seem key to
      organize corporate independent thinkers and that takes time and they are
      understandably short-on-time and risk-averse.

      I think I can make it through another year. I have just borrowed $10,000
      more from credit cards and my total debt is about $110,000 which means
      that each month I have to make payments of $1,400. Luckily, my interest
      rate is reasonably low. As part of that, I owe Edward Damal about $35,000
      and I'm not able to pay him back or interest and I do keep in touch,
      though.

      It costs me roughly between $1,000 and $1,500 per month to live and work.
      There's not much room to save there and my priority is to find more
      income.

      My whole point in starting Minciu Sodas was to be able to live in
      Lithuania. But I will be in the US until October or so. I will be in
      Vermont from June 22 to July 11 for Stephen Wolfram's "A New Kind of
      Science" summer school
      http://www.wolframscience.com/summerschool/2008/
      so that will be good and a chance to engage with him, he is a profound
      independent thinker and a successful entrepreneur (the creator of the
      "Mathematica" software program). Then I will likely go to Boston and hope
      to meet with Barbara Horst (Meadowlea) and also Doc Searls invited me to
      come to the Berkman center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School
      http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/ and they would have a meeting with me and
      perhaps others. Then I would also try to visit Janet Feldman in Rhode
      Island. And then I might make a road trip through points on the East
      Coast and end up in Chicago where I would stay with David Ellison-Bey and
      maybe do some temporary work and also do more organizing on the South Side
      of Chicago and consider the helpfulness of organizing a command structure
      there, a "Love Command".

      God is my silent partner as you can imagine.

      I think our global team building is the best thing we can offer and the
      best way I can apply myself in our economy. I note that our participants
      are doing very well, especially in Africa. There are huge benefits from
      our lab on a personal level (affecting millions of dollars, if they could
      be quantified and chased down), and our gift economy is about $100,000 per
      year, and we have paid work of about $20,000 per year. I think it's
      important to realize that this is actually very healthy and just to hang
      on and proceed in this way. When I look for clients I think I will do
      best if they are interested to engage themselves with their people assets
      and not only money, indeed, the money should be about 10% of the assets
      involved on either side, so that we have a solid relationship. At least
      that's who I should look for and we'll be flexible to take opportunities
      that we might have.

      For our African participants, this means that I don't have any money right
      now except for very small projects (typically $100) that benefit our
      laboratory's strategy (like our work on the Includer). Thank you to Fred
      Kayiwa, William Wambura, Kiyavilo Msekwa, Folabi Sunday for your excellent
      work and I hope to share with you what I can. And lets keep including and
      involving others. Thank you.

      Thank you for caring and for participating!

      I include below information about the 2008 October COMMUNIA meeting in
      Amsterdam.

      +1 312 618 3345

      ---------------------------

      dear all,
      please find below the proposal for a COMMUNIA workshop in october
      2008. This proposal is being submitted by Kennisland and is being made
      on behalf of the Institute for Information Law and Waag Society as well.
      best regards,
      Paul Keller

      1. Title of the Workshop;

      Marking the Public Domain: relinquishment & certification

      2. Abstract of the Workshop: topic to be addressed, how, etc.;

      The proposed workshop would adress legal, economic and practical
      issues related to certifying Public Domain works and relinquishing
      intellectual property rights in Europe. This workshop will seek to
      discuss the economic and legal value of the giving-up of
      intellectual property rights, discuss ways of certifying works as
      belonging to the public domain and addressing (legal hurdles) faced
      by individuals and institutions wishing to contribute to the public
      domain or wishing to work with public domain material. The workshop
      will have two threads, an academic one dealing with the legal and
      economic issues and a practical one that seeks to bring together
      practitioners and stakeholders to identify best practices.

      3. Brief explanation of why the topic is relevant and timely for
      COMMUNIA;

      the topic adresses one of the central issues of the COMMUNIA
      thematic network. it seeks to identify practices, procedures and
      legal obstacles for strengthening the public domain in Europe. There
      will be a special focus that seeks to identify practices that
      enable contemporary producers, aggregators and custodians of
      information to release their material into the public domain. This
      issue is especially timely in the light of a number of initiatives
      that seek to provide tools and instruments (such as CC0) for
      interested parties to release material into the public domain or to
      certify the public domain status of existing works.

      4. Description of the workshop venue;

      The venue has still to be identified, possibilities include pakhuis
      de zwijger (http://www.dezwijger.nl) in central Amsterdam, rooms
      provided by the university of amsterdam or the Institute for sound
      and vison (another communia partner the building is located in
      Hilversum 30 minutes from amsterdam by public transport:
      http://instituut.beeldengeluid.nl/index.aspx?ChapterID=8532)

      5. Expected attendance (e.g., based on previous experiences by the
      organizers);

      we would expect an attendance between 60 and 80 participants (based
      on the assumption that there would be on average 2 delegates from
      the communia partners plus a small number of interested
      professionals from the netherlands)

      6. Names and short bios of the members of organizing team; please
      emphasize any previous direct experiences organizing workshop/
      conferences/events;

      Members of the organizing team would be drafted from Knowledgeland,
      the Institute for Information law and Waag Society. All three
      organisations have extensive experience in organizing similar events
      in Amsterdam. The institute for information law has a solid track
      record in organizing academic events (see for example:
      www.ivir.nl/creativecommons/Colloquium.pdf
      ). Knowledgeland has a solid track record in organizing public
      events (see for example: http://www.creativecapital.nl/ (which
      included the first Creative Commons Europe meeting and was organized
      in collaboration with Waag Society) and the upcoming www.ecommons.eu).

      7. Proposed budget, with a break-down of the main costs;

      this will be provided at a later date in time. the main costs for
      the workshop would relate to rent of venue, catering and transport
      and accommodation for speakers from outside of the communia network.

      8. Proposed workshop program: rough organization of the day (i.e.,
      session topics);

      at the moment we are still looking if it makes sense to have a 1.5
      day workshop. the workshop would possibly divided into a number of
      plenary presentations (first part) to be followed by two tracks (one
      focussing on the legal issues surrounding the relinquishment of
      authors rights in europe, and the other on practical implementation
      issues specific to sectors such as archives, government institutions
      libraries and audiovisual producers). the workshop will be concluded
      by a plenary feedback session.

      9. Any another information that might strengthen the proposal, e.g.,
      how well the city or the venue are connected with the rest of
      Europe, potential synergies with other events immediately before/
      after in the same city/region, etc.

      Amsterdam is well connected to the rest of europe with direct
      flights to most european airports and a wide range of low cost
      carriers operating from Amsterdam Schiphol. amsterdam is also well
      connected to large parts of western europe (france, belgium, germany
      northern italy, switzerland and austria) by railway.

      --
      Kennisland | Knowledgeland
      t: +31 20 5756720 | m: +31 6 41374687
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2008
        Thank you Andrius for the clear overview and thank you for
        appreciating us.
        We hope you find more work for the Africans.
        I want to see Ms Lab strong In uganda.