Re: Proposing the Includer to Google.org

  • ricardoolpc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008

      Hi Andrius

      I've been thinking about your observations. You're right that we shouldn't emphasise the Includer as a device or concentrate on it being yet another low-cost computer project. There could be Includers at all 'price-points', some affordable by individual user/owners and some bought for them by governments, schools, employers, NGOs, etc. It's a bit like mobile phones or computers. It's not for us to dictate the price. The market or organizations will decide.

      If the Includer has some benefits compared with buying a laptop, then people will use it. That isn't neccesarily price, it could be ultra-low power, ruggedness, being assembled as a system from local parts to save shipping, etc. Any of those could provide a Raison d'etre for it, as a device.

      Okay, so instead of concentrating on the Includer as a device - Minciu Sodas's strength is in mobilising large numbers of people. I've thought about "What specific piece of work can we do for Google.org that makes good use of our people?".

      To fit in with one of  Google.org's aims, to provide easier access to government information to citizens, to improve government services, I've written this new Worknets section...

      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?PresentingTheIncluderIdeaToGoogle#OfflineAccesstoeGovernmentInformationProofofConcept

      It's an idea that's specific and concrete, to make government information about public services available via email auto-responders, and more specifically via GMail, to the offline world. It includes the idea of having a GMail Mail Server to login into, on each Includer (or laptop). This fits in with your idea, Andrius, of 'How can we extend Google's API or services to the offline world?'. If we start with this one example of GMail, then other services could follow.

      Please read the Worknets section for details.

      Also, could I ask you to re-size your slides a little, so that the text is readable without scrolling left-right, and maybe mention on slide 1 that people can share a flash-drive, so they don't all have to go to the cyber cafe in person (if that's not getting too detailed)? It's to show that we're doing something new. Taking a flash drive to a cafe is something many people do already.

      Ricardo