Zimbabwe; board games; reading

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2008
      Masimba Biriwasha, thank you for your note at our wiki, and Bev Clark,
      thank you for your letter, which I share more broadly with other groups at
      our Minciu Sodas laboratory. Masimba, yes please share your concept note
      for your online youth project!

      Bev, Thank you for alerting us to Tsoro, an African board game. I found a
      page about it
      http://home.hetnet.nl/~wasse257/tsoro/expl_gb.htm
      and the rules and a computer to play against:
      http://home.hetnet.nl/~wasse257/tsoro/tsoro_gb.htm

      Yes, the 32 squares of the board could be printed with messages and
      advertisements, civic and commercial. And there are 64 pebbles.

      This board and pieces could also be used for teaching reading as I have
      asked Fred Kayiwa in Uganda to help me research. I have made flash cards
      for a child to teach themselves how to read single syllable words:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?FourCorners
      http://www.worknets.org/upload/AndriusKulikauskas/fourcornersphonics.pdf

      Fred, the way that I learned to read a word like "flown" is to break it up
      into two parts, the beginning (consonant cluster) "fl" and the end "own".
      "Fluh" and "own" together are "flown". Whereas "fuh-luh-ow-nuh" isn't
      helpful. So it's important to break up the word into two parts, the
      beginning and the end.

      So I have made cards for all of the beginning sounds, there are 55: b,
      bl, br, c (sounds like k), c (sounds like s), cl, cr, d, dr, f, fl, fr, g,
      g (sounds like j), gl, gr, h, j, k, l and so on. And there are about 500
      endings and I have organized them by the vowel sounds, so for example, I
      mark the short it with a "club" symbol and the endings are: -ill, -it,
      -in, -ick, -ip, -ish, -ich and so on. And so you can put together real or
      imaginary words such as: bill, bit, bin, bick, bip, bish, bich and so on.

      Now imagine where there is a Tsoro board that has printed out 32 of the
      beginning sounds, one on each of the square. Then suppose that one player
      calls out a vowel sound like "ee". Then as the other player moves their
      pebbles suppose they must combine the cluster with the vowel so as they
      moved the pebbles we would hear: flee, free, gee, jee, glee, gree and so
      on. Some of these words are real and some are imaginary so maybe if it's
      imaginary they must afterwards say "imagine that!" or "beg my pardon" and
      so on. Then when they are done they would call out a vowel sound for
      their opponent (like "ay" or "ue" or so on). There are many games that
      can be invented and the end result is that, with just a bit of motivation,
      children can teach themselves and each other how to read. Fred, do you
      understand me? I ask for your help to try this out and to invent some
      games!

      +1 312 618 3345

      ---------------------

      Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:19:21 UTC Chief K.Masimba Biriwasha: I am currently
      working on a project to involve youth online in Zimbabwe, and looking for
      support globally.

      I will be happy to share the concept note for additions.

      many thanks

      masimba

      ---------------------

      Hi Andrius

      I was interested to read your email about creating games - wonderful.

      In Zimbabwe many people play a game called Tsoro which is like draughts.
      They use a piece of basic cardboard on which they draw the lines and blocks.
      Then, they use old bottle tops as the pieces. Tsoro is played on street
      corners and many other public spaces and the games usually gather a crowd.

      I'm interested in how we can use games which gather people together to
      educate. Whenever people gather they talk and share ideas. It's also
      interesting to me how we can use low tech communication interventions
      which don't require lots of resources (etc).

      So here in Zimbabwe I've suggested to some civic groups that they
      reproduce Tsoro boards with various life affirming or positive civic
      messages printed on the free space, both back and front, in an effort to
      inspire conversation and action.

      Warm wishes

      Bev
    • Edward Cherlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2008
        On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 4:01 PM, <ms@...> wrote:
        > Masimba Biriwasha, thank you for your note at our wiki, and Bev Clark,
        > thank you for your letter, which I share more broadly with other groups at
        > our Minciu Sodas laboratory. Masimba, yes please share your concept note
        > for your online youth project!
        >
        > Bev, Thank you for alerting us to Tsoro, an African board game. I found a
        > page about it
        > http://home.hetnet.nl/~wasse257/tsoro/expl_gb.htm
        > and the rules and a computer to play against:
        > http://home.hetnet.nl/~wasse257/tsoro/tsoro_gb.htm

        One Laptop Per Child has a project to implement all of the various
        versions of Mancala, including Tsoro, on the OLPC XO. It is easy to
        create variant board graphics for different layouts, and to provide
        messages on the boards.

        --
        Edward Cherlin
        http://www.EarthTreasury.org/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
          Friends, please welcome Peter Hewitt, who creates learning games for
          Sugar, which is Free Software for education in the One Laptop Per
          Child program now being deployed in Rwanda, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and
          elsewhere in Africa. He and I have been discussing his Mancala game.
          He would benefit from testing by and advice from African users.

          http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4420

          Peter, here is another game for your consideration. You should also
          consider Nine Men's Morris, which is widely popular in Africa under
          various other names, such as Acha in Ghana, and Mlaba-Laba among the
          Zulu in South Africa.