Re: [learningfromeachother] Pamela leads our World WIthout Poverty

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2008
      On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 9:12 AM, <ms@...> wrote:
      > Pamela McLean, Thank you for your letter which I share.

      My thanks also.

      > I also note our chat yesterday and your leadership of our Minciu Sodas
      > laboratory's work to end poverty:
      > http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?WorldWithoutPoverty
      > where we're starting to list Poverty Challengers - people like Peter
      > Ongele, Kiyavilo Msekwa, Sasha Mrkailo and me who are facing
      > underemployment (please let us know if you would like to be added to our
      > list!) and also WorldWithoutPovertyTasks - how our various endeavors are
      > helping us create a world without poverty as inspired by Muhammad Yunus's
      > book "Creating a World Without Poverty".

      I have discovered how to approach the problems of getting electricity
      and Internet connections into the poorest and most remote villages
      effectively, using microfinance support. Iqbal Quadir, founder of
      Grameen Phone and now a professor at MIT again, gave a public lecture
      in San Francisco that supplied some of what I was missing. Playpump
      International, maker of child-powered water pumps built into school
      merry-go-rounds supplied another piece, as did a design for generating
      electricity from revolving doors from Fluxxlab. So schoolchildren will
      be able to run outside and power up their laptops.

      I am helping to set up a research consortium on this and other issues,
      which is not ready for public announcement. We need to find out how
      much of such systems can be built in the village or otherwise
      in-counry. I will need to organize a microfinance institution, with
      significant funding, but that is best addressed elsewhere. Earth
      Treasury needs help to put some of this together, starting with a Web
      site. We can use people with many kinds of skills in the process of
      taking our solutions to the schools in the poorest and most remote
      villages of the world.

      > I share a portion of yesterday's chat by Pamela McLean, Samwel Kongere and
      > Andrius Kulikauskas where we discuss our thoughts on a world without
      > poverty. I will add my perspective that my own priority is to make
      > poverty more comfortable rather than to end poverty.

      I insist on ending that level of poverty where people cannot afford to
      live. We can discuss what is an acceptable and sustainable economic
      level with the formerly poor once we get that settled. (I spent years
      in a Buddhist monastery, so I am quite comfortable being poor as it is
      usually understood.)

      > Peace, Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +1
      > 312 618 3345

      > Pam: THat is fine Sam - we understand. :: I will just remind us of an
      > excerpt.. :: Having a dream about a better world is fun. Why not interact
      > to help make the reality closer too? My suggestion: create a small
      > organisation we call a Social Action Forum. It can be as small as three
      > people who band together to address a single, manageable local problem. If
      > others want to join that's fine. But if you feel comfortable with three,
      > don't try to expand that number :: You might start a forum around a
      > neighbourhood improvement. Or if you live in a developing country, the
      > action forum might be built around helping a beggar find a job or
      > self-employment. Some social action forums may remain small, operate for 2
      > or 3 years and then disband. Others may grow bigger and bigger, and some
      > may become successful businesses.. An idea from one forum may inspire
      > other forums
      >
      > AndriusKulikauskas: At our lab we have a list of Endeavors and we list
      > Endeavor Teams and so that would be a natural way to do that? or relate to
      > that?

      Would anybody like to join in an Endeavor to bring electricity to
      villages, and another for Internet access, and another for
      microfinance to fund those solutions, and a few more for all of the
      resulting village business opportunities that education and
      microfinance will enable, for rural health care, and for whatever else
      the poor tell us they need?
      --
      Edward Cherlin
      http://www.EarthTreasury.org/