Fred and Davis chat about Minciu Sodas in Uganda

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
      We have a chat room http://www.worknets.org/chat/ and also a chat archive
      http://www.worknets.org/archive/ I share below a chat by Fred Kayiwa and
      Davis Weddi, both in Uganda. They chat about soccer, Google search on
      mobiles, and expanding our Minciu Sodas network.

      We also have scheduled chats. Pamela McLean leads one this Thursday, June
      5, at 13:00 London time, 16:00 Kenya time, 5:00 California time. We'll be
      discussing Muhammed Yunus's book about social business "Creating a World
      without Poverty" and actions we can take. Please join us at
      http://www.worknets.org/chat/ Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@..., +1 312 618
      3345.
      ------------------------------

      Fred: hi

      Davis: Hello Fred!

      Fred: hi Davis :: today is public holiday you should be at Namugongo by now

      Davis: Am not well enough to travel, seems I will have to go for Malaria
      treatment :: In leu of that, ofcourse am watching from my desk as
      developments unfold on TV abou tthe prayers at Namugongo shrines where it
      is said one person has been trampled to death

      Fred: oh thats bad news again :: i guess there are to many people there ::
      I wish Andrius is here you meet him but he will have to read through our
      chat of course

      Davis: Yes so many people cramme dinto a very small area - they are now
      even taking fire trucks, it seems there has been a fire outbreak

      Fred: is it :: i fear crowded ares :: u hard what happened in Seraleon ::
      8 people died in match btn namibia and silaroen

      Davis: Soccer ??/ I do not like watching soccer from astadium, I narrowly
      died one time :: Better watched on TV :: Or even monitoring on mobile ::
      But do you know what? we need platforms for delivering such services in
      Uganda and they are easy to acquire platforms :: It seesm Google is
      planning to bring 'Mobile' search services to Uganda.

      Fred: is it?

      Davis: Now Mobile is really a big area because it is an ultimate powerful
      tool for communication

      Fred: i ned to know how to do it :: am curently working as a marketing
      manager for the Kampala Junior Team

      Davis: Just need to have an sms/mms platform and then you start delivering
      services in agreement with service providers

      Fred: but of course for free since its an ophanage stuff :: well Davis we
      need to draw up some plans for how we can make Miniciu sodas stron bas ein
      Uganda :: perhaps in Southern sudan too

      Davis: If you have a site, I could provide you with a free script so you
      can send sms to any number on MTN. MANGO, WARID TELECOM AND EVEN Kenya's
      SAFARICOM

      Fred: what is all about MOBILE SERCH SERVISES :: we can Include techinical
      people like Ricardo and Andrius :: we are making asite

      Davis: Mobile search will have to do with creation of vital directories
      and moapping, plus item pricing and location of vital public and private
      institutions :: Now these are the things that can keep us employed working
      harder.

      Fred: go ahead my boss

      Davis: You know the mobile subscription in Uganda is increasing at an
      unbelievable rate :: just with two years suddenly we had an additional 3
      million users up from 1.5 million that took about six year to accumulate
      :: But never mind, one needs support to purchase a short-code, host an
      sms/mobile site and to configure FOSS for mobile like Kannel and Zorilla,
      then we can go public :: Fred, I think we can chat more later. There are
      so many ideas to make come true but this can only be possible when we put
      some resources to work - these may be both material and financial. Ideas
      that can actually transform communities like Free health information on
      Mobile phones --- Just what we actually need to take off - You know
      Ugandans love free things

      Fred: yes :: Thanks Devis

      Davis: So let me check out for now, but when you get time, please send me
      a mail. I wish I could be chacking here every two hours. For now, I wa
      sjust very lucky to get you online

      Fred: can i please re have your number

      Davis: 0752697575

      Fred: and can u send me an email about these ideas :: i see what you mean
      exactly :: i have to public it :: and we get people who can help ::
      fdkayiwa AT yahoo.com

      Davis: Fine I can always send you a kind of a proposal am trying to put
      together. I will try to get time and send it to that e-mail address :: bye

      Fred: see u am on here for a while :: hello
    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Fred and Davis
        it's interesting that you mention SMS-based
        services, using Kannel and Zorilla. I was looking into a similar
        program the other day with Peter Burgess (USA) from Tracnet, called
        FrontlineSMS. It looks very easy to setup SMS based services, to
        auto-respond to requests for information by SMS or send SMS to
        groups of people. It runs on Windows, Linux or Mac, using a
        PC/Laptop and a wide variety of phones connected to the PC/Laptop to
        send/receive SMS. It's free, but limited to Non-Profit Organizations.

        See http://www.frontlinesms.com/

        I found the Kannel program you mentioned, at...

        http://www.kannel.org/ (Home page)

        http://www.kannel.org/overview.shtml (description and picture)

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannel_%28telecommunications%29

        I couldn't find a website for Zorilla. Is that the right name and
        spelling, Davis?

        I agree with both of you that SMS services could have a lot of uses
        in Uganda etc. Dan Otedo in Mbita/Rusinga Island, Kenya, may use SMS
        services, in conjunction with his Community Radio Station, or SMS
        could be used to provide information on farm-produce and fish prices
        in various towns, for people that want to buy/sell them.

        Ricardo