Re: [learningfromeachother] Mohamed Yunus Book "How to change the world".

  • Edward Cherlin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2008
      On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Pamela McLean <pam54321@...> wrote:
      > Hi Prosper, David Mutua , Chris Macrae, Sofia and everyone.
      >
      > Prosper - I am glad you are interested in the book. If I was able to get
      > copies to you would you be able to organise a group to read the book and
      > discuss its ideas? Would the group (or a representative of the group) be
      > able to share its thoughts online through Learning From Each Other and/or
      > the worknets chat room at the "first Thursday" afternoon meetings?

      I am interested. I have been thinking about applying microfinance to
      other problems of poverty in conjunction with One Laptop Per Child's
      education program, and have come to some conclusions about what needs
      to be done next. In particular, I think that it is time to take a
      comprehensive view of the issues, and address them in an integrated
      manner, not the piecemeal approaches of the past. We have a model of
      how to do this in the Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement in Sri Lanka,
      which carries on integrated development in more than half of the
      villages of Sri Lanka, and has been the most effective locally-based
      organization in emergency response and recovery from the Christas
      tsunami.

      There is much more I could say, but I will wait until we decide how to
      have the conversation.

      > People who already have the book. Please note chapter 9 - Information
      > Technology, Globalisation and a Transformed World (especially page 197 about
      > ISEP - IT Solutions to End Poverty) and chapter 11 - Putting Poverty in
      > Museums ( especially page 228, Practical Steps toward the Dream-World of the
      > Future).
      >
      > Chris - do you know the link to the website that Yunus mentions?
      >
      > Everyone - Minciu Sodas did so well in fighting violence through PoP
      > (Pyramid of Peace). Can we now do something similar to fight one of the main
      > causes of violence - poverty? How can we build on the pyramid to help build
      > a better and more hopeful future? There will not be instant answers, but we
      > cam rub minds. We can study and work together. We can share ideas. and try
      > things out, and see what works. We can Learn From Each Other - Face to
      > Face, through the Internet, and through books.

      Learning From Each Other is the essence of the OLPC program. Villagers
      know much more about their problems than experts do. We need to get
      the right questions to the experts in order to get useful answers.
      Then we have to grow experts locally.

      > It is said that a mind once stretched by an idea will never return to its
      > original shape.

      There is research to show that that is particularly true for people
      who have learned to be helpless, and then learn to help themselves and
      each other. They cannot be made helpless again.

      --
      Edward Cherlin
      http://www.EarthTreasury.org/