Northern and Eastern Uganda Development Alliance working Conference

    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2008

      On July 19th I hope to attend the Northern and Eastern Uganda Development Alliance working Conference - see below. I can try to act as the eyes, ears and voice of anyone in Minciu Sodas with interests in N and E Uganda.  The more I learn from you about your interests  before I go - the more useful I may be able to be.

      Pam

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Northern and Eastern Uganda Development Alliance working Conference 19th July 2008

      Theme: Partnership in the delivery of sustainable international development

      About Connections for Development

      (Host organisation)

      Connections for Development (CFD) is a BME led organisation which was created through a Strategic Grant Agreement (SGA) with the Department for International Development (DFID), with the overarching aim of bringing together diverse segments of UK BME Civil Society, provide leadership, enable debate, shared learning, and collaboration for action around International Development (ID) issues and activities

      Four years on since its inception, CFD has a membership base of over 400 organisations and individuals country-wide with a common interest in ID. It supports its membership through circulation of timely and relevant information, capacity building activities, enabling networking, engagement in public policy debate and in assisting them to get their voices heard through conferences and workshops.

      (Facilitating organisation)

      Established 1991, Iteso Welfare Association (UK) is a CFD Member Organisation.

      Our Vision:

      To inspire Iteso & other African communities in the Diaspora, to play an active role in Africa's development efforts

      Mission statement:

      Our mission is the empowerment of Iteso, other marginalized and deprived African communities through economic, social and cultural development. We will do so by mobilizing and providing manpower, material and financial resources, both nationally and internationally

      Preamble

      The United Nations World Economic Situation and Prospects, released in January 2007. Suggests that economic development in most African countries fell short of what would be needed to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. For example Uganda's future prospects rest on the entire population enjoying the benefits of durable peace and development, thus creating the right economic conditions to achieve the millennium development goals. Needless to say the right policies need to be put in place to achieve the development goals (MDG's) by 2015.

      The Diaspora communities from Northern and Eastern Uganda and other stakeholders have the opportunity now more than ever before to harness their collective potential as bridge builders for a region that has experienced a wide dispersal of its human resources both nationally and internationally due to prolonged armed conflict and poverty.

      According to research by a leading Pan African Diaspora Organisation, Africa Foundation for Development (AFFORD) many small Diaspora organisations face a dilemma when they try to broaden their work from a purely UK focus, to addressing the development concerns of their communities or partners in their regions of origin. A strong opportunity in the Diaspora's SWOT analysis that remains unharnessed due to lack of capacity. There is a growing need to transfer acquired skills, remittances, and technology back the countries of origin to create jobs in an effort to fight poverty counter brain drain. Collectively the Diaspora community can also be a strong representative voice of opinion that can influence policy making at all levels and be empowered to deliver projects that impact on lives and transform communities in their regions of origin .

      Needless to say, weaknesses such as lack of capacity to manage International Development projects from a distance has limited various small scale Diaspora led organizations to engage in international development, despite strong evidence to suggest that most of these organizations are better informed of the unmet needs at the grass roots level and have the ability to make a lasting impact on lives and share ownership of development in their regions of origin with all stakeholders. Other initiatives have proved that the voice of Diaspora communities is increasingly getting stronger and effectively putting the message across to the right places.

      For example On the 14th March 2008, The Secretary of State Douglas Alexander announced DFID has committed 3million to Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) over three years to help develop an initiative run by VSO, which aims to help people from Diaspora communities work as volunteers, working to help people in other countries who share the same heritage.

      The conference will form a unique opportunity for International NGOs to connect with community groups and business, share local knowledge, expertise in terms of HIV mainstreaming strategies, policy making and best practice in international development.

      Purpose

      • To recognize the passion and potential of Diaspora led organizations in delivering international development work.

      • To advocate for a sustainable development framework that meets the present and future needs of the people of Northern and Eastern Uganda other crisis regions.

      The working Conference is expected to provide a forum and opportunity for participants to:

      1) Explore International Development from business, policy making and cultural heritage perspectives.

      2) Share knowledge and experiences;

      3) Engage with DFID and other International Development stakeholders: to introduce funding streams for partnership working, Microfinance schemes and gap year experience for young people with cultural links with host communities.

      4) Inform policy/ies; on HIV mainstreaming, international development inclusion and emerging markets

      7) Determine strategies of how African Diaspora and organisations can be supported to develop sustainable Diaspora led international development institutions and enterprises.

      The outcomes and benefits of the conference:

      • Help develop the capacity of registered charitable African led organisations: to improve life in regions recently affected by armed conflict to effectively plan and implement programmes.

      • The conference will identify potential working partnerships between Diaspora led organizations, grassroots subsistance farming communities, entrepreneurs , vulnerable groups, Governments, funders, International agencies to target cause-related funding, monitor and evaluate the impact.

      • Global impact: Raise awareness of global issues among young people in the UK; develop linkages and working partnerships between Young people in the North and South.

      • Encourage HIV mainstreaming strategies in international development work and partnerships.

      • Produce a position paper focusing on partnership working with Diaspora led organizations in delivering international development work to inform international development policy framework.

      PROPOSED PROGRAMME

      9.00 – 9.30           Registration Tea/coffee

      9.30 -10.30         Development Awareness and funding: Master-class- DFID Programmes

      10.30-11.30                   Welcome by Bashir Chaudhry MBE, Chair of CFD

                                  Short documentary film

      INGO perspective: Collaboration with Diaspora NGOs

      Short presentations from VSO and Christian Aid

      11.30- 11.45        Tea and coffee Break

      11.45- 13.45      Investing in Post-Conflict Development: Should the priority be humanitarian or infra-structural or both?

      Key note Address

      DFID Representative (Tbc)

      Response speeches from South:

      Hon. Omara Atubo MP, Minister of Lands, Housing & Urban Dev

      Hon. Musa Ecweru MP, Minister of State for Disaster Preparedness

      Hon. Peter Lokeris MP, Minister of State for Primary Education

      Hon. Ogenga Latigo MP, Leader of opposition

      Panel Discussion:

      Moderator Jim W. Opolot FRSA, Director CFD

      13.45- 14.45        Lunch/ Networking

      14.45- 16.45        Workshops

      1.    Networking, Partnerships and linkages: Developing effective partnerships for development in Northern and Eastern Uganda: Connections for Development (CFD)

      2.     Strategic Framework; Social Enterprise Development and the Millennium Goals:  African Foundation for Development (AFFORD)

      3.     Strategic Framework:  Management of resources and risks in Northern and Eastern Uganda Iteso Welfare Association (IWA)

      4.    Strategic framework: Exploring the role of the young people in International development (British Council)

      5.    Strategic framework: Promoting Education, ITC and Volunteerism (VSO)

      6.    Strategic framework: HIV AIDS mainstreaming strategies in International Development (Christian Aid)

      16.45-17.00 Final Plenary

    • fdkayiwa
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2008
        Thats good news Pam Of course you wil be our ears
        I hope you will have many people to join us.
        let me know your timetable could we meet i stay in kampala
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16, 2008
          Oops - I should have emphasised that the conference is in London - it is just a free one-day local event for me. I don't go to conferences in other countries. This is because I am not an academic, so I don't get sent to such conferences as part of my day job. Also I live in the UK so I do not get included in all the special invitations and bursaries and things offered to people who live in  "developing countries".  (For example, although I have done pracical projects related to ICT4Ed&D in Africa I have never been ot one of those big annual e-learning conferences in Africa. I was at Andrius' conference because, amazingly, he had funding to was cover my fare and I did not have to pay a conference fee.)

          I have to do my learning and networking online and locally, not at face-to-face conferences. That does not bother me. Given my interest is in ICT enabled learning it is appropriate that I have to work so much through the Internet instead of traveling to face-to-face conferences.

          Who know - perhaps one day I will get the opportunity to visit Uganda and to meet my online friends there face-to-face. Meanwhile, thank you for your advance welcome - and please remember that the more I know about your interests the better I will be able to be your eyes, ears, and mouth when I meet people in London who are interested in Uganda.

          Pam