Re: [socialagriculture] Full Belly Project

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 24, 2006
      Synnöve Mathè wrote:

      > http://www.fullbell yproject. org/index. asp
      > <http://www.fullbellyproject.org/index.asp>
      >
      > Hi, Do you think that project would be usefull??

      This looks very interesting. I would like to connect my contacts in
      community centres in rural Nigeria and Kenya with projects like this.

      Sadly I am really overstretched at present and only managed a quick look
      at a couple of the web pages. - and didn't get to any place where I
      could explore collaboration with our centres. If anyone else has time to
      check this out and help me make contact with someone interested in
      working with us it would be much appreciated.

      Pamela McLean
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 25, 2006
        Dear Pamela,

        I am happy with your promotion thought and invite you fully to go on searching for organizations in Kenya. I am always here to help in the ground of connecting with organizations in Kenya. What type of Collaborations are saying? I have one group in Tanzania and Kenya who dearly need associations to work and partner up with them.

        Some are smaller and doesn't have sites for viewing their activities but you can get your self started if you getb back to me through this channel and I will automatically.

        I am still in Tanzania but when Iam back home and have learnt your type of partnership I will let you have some links.

        Regards,
        samwel

        Pamela McLean <pam@...> wrote:
        Synnöve Mathè wrote:

        > http://www.fullbell yproject. org/index. asp
        > <http://www.fullbell yproject. org/index. asp>
        >
        > Hi, Do you think that project would be usefull??

        This looks very interesting. I would like to connect my contacts in
        community centres in rural Nigeria and Kenya with projects like this.

        Sadly I am really overstretched at present and only managed a quick look
        at a couple of the web pages. - and didn't get to any place where I
        could explore collaboration with our centres. If anyone else has time to
        check this out and help me make contact with someone interested in
        working with us it would be much appreciated.

        Pamela McLean

        Samwel Okech kongere
        Nyamuga primary school
        P.O BOX 191,
        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439
        FOSS ADMIRER
        Community Development

      • fdkayiwa
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 25, 2006
          ---well am not so sure wheather this project wil be too good but
          ibelieve it is important to us
          and iwould like to join it am in uganda
        • fdkayiwa
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 25, 2006
            --am also thinking that you may came and have some patenership in our
            group here in uganda

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
              Hi Synnove

              It would be great if you would collaborate with us.

              If the Full Belly Project is appropriate for "Cawdnetters" (people in
              the CAWD network) in Nigeria, Kenya and elsewhere then I will happily
              help to link them in with the project. However I don't want to raise
              hoped unrealistically , or send people off down blind alleys.

              The first thing that needs doing is to check the site out in detail, and
              probably write a few emails to dig out missing information. Is the
              website giving information that would enable us to replicate its
              innovative work, or is it simply fundraising for an existing project
              with no interest in replication, or is it somewhere in between those
              extremes?

              The Full Belly Project looks good but can we *do* anything in practice,
              on the goround, as a result of reading the website and writing
              follow-up emails? If so, *what* can we do and *how* do we begin?

              If you can find answers to those kinds of questions then we can start to
              see if Cawdnetters on the ground would like to try anything out. It
              would be great if they could benefit in a practical way from the Full
              Belly Project ideas.

              I hope you will consider finding these things out for us. What do you think?

              Pam

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
                Hi Samwel

                Good to hear from you (regarding the Full Belly Project). Yes, indeed,
                let's see how we can collaborate. First we need to get to know each
                other better so we can discover areas of overlapping interests, and how
                we can best work together. This is never easy at a distance - but we
                have some good starting points already:

                # We both know Andrius and are collaborating with him. This gives us a
                starting point of trust. His lab is already helping us to recognise
                initial areas of overlapping interests too - but we should keep our
                minds open for other areas that are not yet obvious.

                # We both know David Mutua - I suggest that when you get back to Kenya
                you link up with him. He will tell you some of the things we have done
                together, and other things he is doing that may be of interest to you.
                Of course his emphasis is different to mine - but he will build your
                picture of what the "Cawdnet" network is and how it seems from his
                viewpoint. (I'm happy to answer questions about how it seems from my
                side as well - but David can tell you F2F).

                When I imagine you using the Internet in Kenya I think of my
                experiences in Nigeria, and I imagine things are similarly difficult
                for you. I think of long and difficult journeys to cyber cafes. I also
                think of many wasted journeys, because of various problems causing the
                cyber cafes to have no service - most usually because of power outages
                and not enough potential customers to justify using the generator. I
                think of problems with saving information for easy reference, and the
                high cost of taking printouts. I think too of some painfully slow
                connections, and mal-functioning keyboards, and the frustration of
                seeing that clock up on the top right of the screen telling me how
                quickly my precious, hard-won online time is running out. I imagine you
                have some or all of these difficulties.

                I understand from David that at least in Kenya the power supply is
                better than in Nigeria. Even so, when David and I are chatting on yahoo
                we often loose the connection - maybe it's because we have chatted too
                long and he needs to go and buy more time.

                Your signature mentions "Nyamuga primary school" - I have spent much of
                my working life as a primary teacher. Is that your job too? If so
                perhaps you have an interest in the needs of teachers, and their roles
                in their communities. That would be another useful area of overlap with
                Cawdnet that you could explore with David and me.

                I look forward to learning more about you and your hopes and interests.

                You mention groups and organisations that you connect with. That is good
                to know - it means that you have access to a wealth of information. I
                look forward to linking with your network through you, and
                discovering how we can learn from each other.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 26, 2006
                  markus petz wrote:

                  > ....Full Bally makes machines that are hand operated for
                  > use in agricultural settings.

                  Thank you Markus . Seems potentially useful for Cawdnet's rural people

                  > So for example a nut shelling machine.

                  Certainly people do grow nuts - but I don't know if they are the right
                  kinds for a shelling machine. I don't know much of the details.

                  I've seen the kernels of shea nuts (and the shea butter they are used to
                  make - it's a beauty product) but not the shells. I was asked something
                  about grinding machines for that- and once saw something about a
                  possibly relevant grinder in a DfID "Developments" magazine - but did
                  not manage to follow it up. Maybe that is something else we could find
                  out about.

                  I am under the impression that coconuts are ripe in February (because
                  that is when some came crashing to the ground right by Florence and me
                  in the FF compound), but that's probably not quite the size we need to
                  have in mind ;-)

                  I have been able to pull up sweet tender ground nuts when we've been
                  visiting people "in the bush", and small bags of groundnuts are amongst
                  my favourite snacks when I am in Nigeria. I don't know if they would be
                  a relevant crop for the shelling machine.

                  I don't have any knowledge of other nuts - but I've never really tried
                  to find out. We can ask once we know more about the machine..

                  > they want assistance in making machine parts, assembly
                  > and training folks in using making and servicing
                  > machines.

                  I need to understand this better. I am glad they are aware of the need
                  to train people not just to use, but also to service the
                  machines.Maintenance is such a problem. How is the training arranged and
                  funded?

                  I wonder what parts are made where - and what is assembled where - and
                  what the costs are. Are these machines that can be assembled locally? Do
                  they use local materials? What of the other parts -are they likely to be
                  available locally - or in the cities - or would anything have to be
                  brought in specially?

                  > We for sure could as individuals help with
                  > this. ITS NOT JUST MONEY THEY WANT.

                  Is it easier for people in our network to give time or to give money?
                  If anyone has either to spare - please let me know - we need people with
                  time and Internet access as much as we need money - and with Cawdnet it
                  is genuinely true that "every little helps" - because we are driven by
                  grassroots needs and there are no paid admin staff in CAWD in the UK -
                  just a couple of "true volunteers".

                  > These practical solutions look good. Of course the
                  > range of machines and a virtual tool shed of plans and
                  > designs for other machines or needs for other machines
                  > could be created too. It would be good across teh
                  > world for intetnional communities growing produce.

                  I like the idea of a "virtual tool shed". Then the challenge is to make
                  sure that these "virtual tools" can be taken out of the virtual tool
                  shed to do real work.

                  > So a virtual tool shed is practical project we could
                  > tke part in. Full Belly are quite willing for others
                  > to make their machines and distribute them or even
                  > parts of them. So very Open Source.

                  Excellent. Let's explore ways to move this forward.

                  > It looks good and useful. How you individually or
                  > organizationally engage depends on your own
                  > circumstances. As the machines (so far I only saw a
                  > nut shelling machine) are hand operated, and seem to
                  > use a crank shaft mechanism, connecting them to
                  > renewable sources of energy to drive the shaft shoudl
                  > eb fairly easy and so the machines could run from
                  > solar, wind or water.

                  Renewable energy is an interesting idea and something that we need to
                  look at for many reasons

                  However if these machines can be hand operated then people can simply
                  operate them by hand initially - presumably that is easier than doing
                  the work by hand without the machine.

                  Markus, can we see how far we can go with "putting a complete nut
                  shelling machine in a virtual tool cupboard"?

                  If that proves possible then we can see what problems we would have to
                  overcome to get the machine out of the virtual tool cupboard and into
                  the real world. If we find ways to overcome those problems then we will
                  be sufficiently prepared to show the machine to some of our friends who
                  are involved in nut production in African and see if they have a need
                  for it (or for any other tools that we might be able to provide through
                  the virtual tool shed).

                  I am excited by Markus' idea of the virtual tool shed. What do other
                  people think?

                  Pam
                • samuel kongere
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 27, 2006
                    Dear Mari, Andrius, Markus, Benoit, Janet  and All,

                    Pleasure to send you greetings from Tanzania and let you know that all is well here and the youths here going to join our net work. I have met some youths and we are of the opinion to make a community intervention group to help in ICT and information training. I have met also some collaborators who may help the youths come up to address their problems alone.

                    I do thank Maria Agnese for making this Union successfull. I have met with Willam, Josephat, Hellen, Rose, Flovian, Mwnaidi and many more .

                    We are having our last meeting tomorrow and come up with a work plan.
                    Receive the members greetings From Dar Tanzania.
                    Samwel

                    Samwel Okech kongere
                    Nyamuga primary school
                    P.O BOX 191,
                    MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                    Cell: +254 725 600 439
                    FOSS ADMIRER
                    Community Development

                  • kayiwa fred
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                      samuel keep on that sipirit bring to my county uganda
                      too
                      --- samuel kongere <samkongere2004@...> wrote:

                      > Dear Mari, Andrius, Markus, Benoit, Janet and All,
                      >
                      > Pleasure to send you greetings from Tanzania and
                      > let you know that all is well here and the youths
                      > here going to join our net work. I have met some
                      > youths and we are of the opinion to make a community
                      > intervention group to help in ICT and information
                      > training. I have met also some collaborators who may
                      > help the youths come up to address their problems
                      > alone.
                      >
                      > I do thank Maria Agnese for making this Union
                      > successfull. I have met with Willam, Josephat,
                      > Hellen, Rose, Flovian, Mwnaidi and many more .
                      >
                      > We are having our last meeting tomorrow and come
                      > up with a work plan.
                      > Receive the members greetings From Dar Tanzania.
                      > Samwel
                      >

                      > Samwel Okech kongere
                      > Nyamuga primary school
                      > P.O BOX 191,
                      > MBITA 040305-KENYA.
                      > Cell: +254 725 600 439
                      > FOSS ADMIRER
                      > Community Development
                      > UDOGO youth development group-coordinator
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music
                      Unlimited.

                      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                      Access over 1 million songs.
                      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
                    • David mutua
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                        Hi Samuel,
                        I trust this finds you well, please hola me when in
                        Nairobi, my contacts are +254 720 462 559.

                        Warm regards,

                        David

                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      • shankar rajakumar
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
                          Dear Samuel,

                          I am rajkumar from India working on participatory methodologies and I believe there are so many things one can learn from each other. If you have anything in particular if your projects in Africa want to know from India. I can help you people. I have different  experience  and i am also trainer on the issues relating to development. I want to develop my skills and capacity and I believe learning from each other is a good strategy to learn,

                          Looking for your early reply,

                          Regrds

                          Rajakumar

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
                            Dear Mari, Andrius, Markus, Benoit, Janet
                            ,samuel,pamela and shankar
                            am happy that you all have good and encourageing
                            idears towards this project thabks alot give me some
                            emails for questions about uganda

                            Want to start your own business?
                            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
                            http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
                          • samuel kongere
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
                              Dear David,

                              I think you are a different David Mutua I know, all tha same I am In Nairobi today and passing to Rusinga  you can call me in this no +254 (0) 725 600 439
                               good connection Pamela talked about you great.
                              Samwel

                              Samwel Okech kongere
                              Nyamuga primary school
                              P.O BOX 191,
                              MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                              Cell: +254 725 600 439
                              FOSS ADMIRER
                              Community Development

                            • David mutua
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Dear Samuel,
                                Thanks for yours, we must have met in Kalangala,
                                Uganda for Africa Source II last Dec.
                                I am back in Kenya for good and working on replicating
                                most of the work and project i executed and learned in
                                Nigeria, i
                                have started a project in a rural area in Kangundo..a
                                programme i call Community Learning, Information and
                                Communication center..a project aimed at developing
                                sustainable Human capacity development and economic
                                empowerment through use of modern ICT’s by developing
                                environments or structures that enable access to
                                timely and relevant information, formal or informal
                                learning/education opportunities for career
                                development, skill acquisition and investment
                                opportunities in rural Kenyan communities.
                                Though still at the early stages, i have been able to
                                mobilize community members and several organisations
                                based in Nairobi, i am working towards building a
                                network of organisations and individuals with common
                                shared interest on use of ICT to facilitate community
                                development.

                                Lets explore ways that we can work together.

                                Warm regards,

                                David