Re: [learningfromeachother] Starting a working group; Pamela McLean for MyFoodStory

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
      ms@... wrote:

      >I'm very glad that you will help us include people separated from us by so
      >many divides: (snip) it will be likewise
      >wonderful to get the combinations of photos and captions that you have
      >suggested.

      Andrius

      Please be aware that the things we discussed regarding possible methods
      of collecting the Food Stories were only ideas I was tossing around -
      not firm plans yet.

      Various facts prompted my thoughts about photos and captions. The facts
      are that many of my contacts are not happy with the written word. David
      Mutua for example often reminds me that he and other contacts come from
      oral rather than written cultures. Also they do not have English as
      their first language. When I collect information in Nigeria my contacts
      usually prefer to speak to a video camera rather than do any kind of
      writing for me. When David has sent me a few photos with captions, I
      have felt better informed than I would have been through a written
      report. (It's the old "one picture worth a thousand words" thing.)
      However, although I think people would be "more comfortable" just
      putting captions to photos things are not that simple. Getting photos
      taken and emailed to me is more difficult than getting simple texts sent
      by phone or email, or arranging a yahoo chat. Also, it is a matter of
      providing equipment. ( I have been advised against my idea of buying a
      camera phone for the likely team member who is currently phone-less)
      I still hope to include some photos and captions, and I believe that,
      culturally, that approach would be easiest for "my team". However we do
      not just have culture to consider, we have other issues such as costs,
      available equipment and existing skills. It depends exactly who decides
      to get involved. Nothing is certain yet about how the stories will be
      communicated.

      Given you are interested in the process as well as the product I will
      try to keep you updated on these issues.