Starting a working group; Pamela McLean for MyFoodStory

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2006
      Samwel, Markus, here is a link for how to start your own working group at our
      Minciu Sodas laboratory:
      http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?HelpingOthers/StartAWorkingGroup

      Pamela, What a wonderful letter, which I share with Steve Bosserman's working
      group Social Agriculture http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socialagriculture/
      That's our main group especially for coordinating our teams for MyFoodStory.
      You're welcome to join by sending a blank message to
      socialagriculture-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and you can set your settings to
      get email or not, but at least your own emails will get through, which is
      important!

      I'm very glad that you will help us include people separated from us by so
      many divides: Internet, literacy, language, worldview. It's remarkable, the
      kind of content that Samwel Kongere is providing, but it will be likewise
      wonderful to get the combinations of photos and captions that you have
      suggested. Please also, let's think how we might involve our high-bandwidth
      online community around the world. I plan to dedicate 3,000 USD in bonuses
      (should we win them) to back a community currency for our efforts. So let's
      consider what kind of help might be best. But certainly we need help to
      collect directory entries (as we're doing at http://www.myfoodstory.info - I
      will work further on our interface this week) and to take some of the content
      from on-the-ground (text, captions and/or photo) and make web pages from that
      which our friends (including CAWD, KAIPPG, One Village and many others) might
      host at their websites.

      Greetings from Nablus, Israeli-occupied Palestine, where I think I will have
      success in starting up a team (although it may be very good to have an
      experienced online organizer such as Markus Petz). Indeed, perhaps
      "meaningful inclusion" is relevant here? And I'm making steps forward in
      organizing a team in Lithuania. So our teams are:
      - Samwel Kongere, soyabean and more at Rusinga Island, wifi Internet
      access,willingness to take risks
      - Jeff Buderer, farmed fish, integrated farming and waste management,
      sustainability
      - Pamela McLean, poultry, multiple-bandwidth web interfaces, learning from
      each other, Nigeria
      - Markus Petz...
      - Lithuania... perhaps homemade cheese
      - Palestine? India?

      My goal is to flesh out more of our web interface (to show how the Directory
      of excerpts leads to a Repository of original material and a Registry of
      official websites for presenting our stories). And then to look for new
      clients, both for food related work but also for story related work more
      generally. For example, I want to write a proposal to Steve Cayzer of
      Hewlett-Packard, interested in the semantic web, about how we could variously
      organize the tags for our stories (geographically, by human values, by
      profession, biologically, technologically,...) and also how we can use (and
      reuse!) that subjective content to support all manner of objective
      investigations.

      Intro-*Terms

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2006
        ms@... wrote:

        >I'm very glad that you will help us include people separated from us by so
        >many divides: (snip) it will be likewise
        >wonderful to get the combinations of photos and captions that you have
        >suggested.

        Andrius

        Please be aware that the things we discussed regarding possible methods
        of collecting the Food Stories were only ideas I was tossing around -
        not firm plans yet.

        Various facts prompted my thoughts about photos and captions. The facts
        are that many of my contacts are not happy with the written word. David
        Mutua for example often reminds me that he and other contacts come from
        oral rather than written cultures. Also they do not have English as
        their first language. When I collect information in Nigeria my contacts
        usually prefer to speak to a video camera rather than do any kind of
        writing for me. When David has sent me a few photos with captions, I
        have felt better informed than I would have been through a written
        report. (It's the old "one picture worth a thousand words" thing.)
        However, although I think people would be "more comfortable" just
        putting captions to photos things are not that simple. Getting photos
        taken and emailed to me is more difficult than getting simple texts sent
        by phone or email, or arranging a yahoo chat. Also, it is a matter of
        providing equipment. ( I have been advised against my idea of buying a
        camera phone for the likely team member who is currently phone-less)
        I still hope to include some photos and captions, and I believe that,
        culturally, that approach would be easiest for "my team". However we do
        not just have culture to consider, we have other issues such as costs,
        available equipment and existing skills. It depends exactly who decides
        to get involved. Nothing is certain yet about how the stories will be
        communicated.

        Given you are interested in the process as well as the product I will
        try to keep you updated on these issues.