Re: [learningfromeachother] Re: Pam's Idea for Reflective Items/another one: school uniforms

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
      If there is interest (and if someone could take a small parcel to Kenya) then we might be able to try something using free samples. I met someone at a party in December last year who imports reflective strips from China to use in his business. He said he could get me some free samples of various widths etc to try out. I anticipated getting back to him sooner, but probably it is not too late.

      Is there local interest?

      Does anyone know anyone who could carry a parcel? Is VSO a possible source of help? Who else might help?

      Pam

      On 08/04/2008, ricardoolpc <ricardoolpc@...> wrote:

      Hi Pam
      relective tape is a great idea. I did a quick search and this
      50mm x 50 metre roll of sew-on tape for jackets, vests, etc, is
      £180. If you cut it into 50mm x 50mm (2 inch x 2 inch) patches,
      that's 20p each. They sell smaller rolls at about the same price-per-
      metre. This is with just a quick search, almost the first firm that
      I found, so it may be much cheaper elsewhere.

      http://www.apetape.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/reflective-tape-sew-on-
      5050.html

      eBay UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/ has a whole category for high
      visibility, reflective clothing and materials, if you search
      for 'reflective'.

      Since it has to be sewn on, then it could be some paid-employment
      for someone. I think I've also seen iron-on patches like this.

      Ricardo

      --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Feldman"

      <kaippg@...> wrote:

      > Dear Pam and All,
      >
      > Thanks for your excellent idea, something which--when mentioned--
      brings a lot of resonance, but which (as you say yourself) people
      don't usually think much about. So glad you brought it up!

      > I/we will be interested to hear feedback from people in Kenya and
      elsewhere: since so many use bicycles, walk, or ride motorscooters,
      I would think there would certainly be a need and a market.

      > One other thing I am constantly running across, at least in
      Kenya: the need for school uniforms, and sometimes lack of same,
      which impedes some would-be students from attending school. There
      are some projects which have developed (I believe Hezekiah of
      Reachout, who is here at HH, has one) along these lines, using
      donated sewing machines, which are relatively inexpensive in Kenya
      ($75 or so).

      > But the need is so much greater: I'm thinking now about Tom
      Ochuka and his young folks, also Charles Aboge and the Kisumu
      Children's Centre, where a potential donation of uniforms from the
      UK may not happen because we cannot find a shipper, and then of
      course there are the shipping and import fees. We may be able to
      locate some volunteers or employees of UK-based nonprofits who are
      travelling to Kenya and can carry small amounts of clothing, but
      that in itself is a challenge.

      > So having a locally-based capacity is, for several reasons
      (employment, skills-building, community and individual development,
      ready supply of uniforms for students, more youth in school as a
      result), of utmost importance. This is something we can also think
      about, and the reflective clothing and items can be included in this
      type of project.

      > With greatest thanks for bringing this to our attention, Pam, and
      hope this is something we can work on soon! Janet

      am not sure if it a good idea, or if it is so relevant to Kenya, but
      I will share it.

      > When I am in Nigeria I am very concerned for the safety of
      people on the roads, and after dark it is particularly dangerous. No
      street lighting, Cars with poor lights. Many potholes causing cars
      to swerve. No pavements - so people are walking in the roadways.

      > I was driving in a car one night and we came up behind a
      motorcyclist. I was thinking how invisible he looked and how
      invisible people are until the last moment when a vehicle is nearly
      on top of them, and how dangerous it is. Suddenly I realised that no-
      one was wearing any reflective clothing. I thought of all the
      reflective clothes, bags and strips, that I have used, and seen, at
      home. When I rode a bike I bought a reflective strip on purpose to
      wear over my clothes. Lots of the other reflective things I have had
      just looked like a part of the trimming, or the logo or something.
      Sometimes I did not notice when I bought them, but then when it was
      dark I realised they were reflective. An anorak I bought last year
      has small but very reflective circles which are just stuck on
      (again I didn't even notice them when I bought it, but they really
      catch what light there is at night.)

      > This made me think that perhaps there could be a market for
      reflective things in Nigeria (and perhaps is Kenya). If it was
      possible to import strips of reflective material, perhaps local
      tailors could sew it onto things that peopel would like to buy, to
      make them safer. Perhaps they could make backpacks with reflective
      strips for people to wear when they rode on motorbikes, or maybe
      just decorate ordinary jackets or fleeces (I know we needed clothes
      like that at night in Kenya), or baseball caps, or even shirts like
      football shirts with a big reflective number like your favourite
      football player's shirt. There are lots of things that could be made
      reflective. It woudl be a good thing to help people to be safer on
      the roads.

      > Would this be worth trying?
      > Is there a need in Kenya?
      > Could it be done at a profit?
      > Would people buy reflective things?
      > Would it be worth making them or is it already possible to buy
      ready made things from China more cheaply?

      > If it is a good idea then we could find out about getting the
      reflective material. I met a man recently who makes tents and things
      like that. He goes to China to buy all different kinds and sizes of
      reflective strips. He could advise us about producers. He might even
      be able to give us some samples to experiment with if anyone knows
      someone who is travelling from UK to Kenya who would take them out.
      They are not heavy.

      > Perhaps it is a Bad Idea. Perhaps it is a Good Idea. I will not
      know until I have shared it.

      > Pam
      >

      > On 25/03/2008, Edmix Sounds <edmixsound@...> wrote:
      > Hi friends!!
      > Hope you are doing great and thank the almighty for the live
      and burden God has given you.

      > we are doing great and appreciate this far God has brought us
      with your help and we always pray that God may bless you abundantly
      with your families.

      > there is a small request i had made about the follow up of
      sotik follow up before we went to the conference we had in Nakuru.
      > the mission which i had done facts finding on the ground.
      >
      > with a good heart guys from sotik have been calling me to
      tell me how they are doing and how things are working currently.
      > through the calls they have been making, the area councilor
      has been constantly asking when we will be going back to sotik,
      > the time i preparing to leave sotik, the elders had asked if
      this was a first visit or it was just a spying mission i had come to
      do,

      > I told them it was a genuine peace building we were doing and
      not part of the government business.

      > I Thought it was a good idea of going back and continue
      building that trust from where i left, and at least go with a one
      person may be a lady like Rachel to sotik so that she can also have
      a word with them also.

      > actually the other idea was to encourage then to form there
      own groups and think of something they can do together which can
      generate income for themselves and the community at large.
      > I wanted you guys to think about it and let me know what your
      input will be for this.

      > THanks and hope to hear from you.
      > Edwine Nyandisi
      >
      > what if we could try things we have failed Everyday
      differently, what could one have achieved?

      ---------
      Mobile. Try it now.