Pam's Idea for Reflective Items/another one: school uniforms

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2008
      Dear Pam and All,

      Thanks for your excellent idea, something which--when mentioned--brings a lot of resonance, but which (as you say yourself) people don't usually think much about. So glad you brought it up!

      I/we will be interested to hear feedback from people in Kenya and elsewhere:  since so many use bicycles, walk, or ride motorscooters, I would think there would certainly be a need and a market.

      One other thing I am constantly running across, at least in Kenya:  the need for school uniforms, and sometimes lack of same, which impedes some would-be students from attending school. There are some projects which have developed (I believe Hezekiah of Reachout, who is here at HH, has one) along these lines, using donated sewing machines, which are relatively inexpensive in Kenya ($75 or so).

      But the need is so much greater:  I'm thinking now about Tom Ochuka and his young folks, also Charles Aboge and the Kisumu Children's Centre, where a potential donation of uniforms from the UK may not happen because we cannot find a shipper, and then of course there are the shipping and import fees. We may be able to locate some volunteers or employees of UK-based nonprofits who are travelling to Kenya and can carry small amounts of clothing, but that in itself is a challenge.

      So having a locally-based capacity is, for several reasons (employment, skills-building, community and individual development, ready supply of uniforms for students, more youth in school as a result), of utmost importance. This is something we can also think about, and the reflective clothing and items can be included in this type of project.

      With greatest thanks for bringing this to our attention, Pam, and hope this is something we can work on soon! Janet
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
        Hi Pam
        relective tape is a great idea. I did a quick search and this
        50mm x 50 metre roll of sew-on tape for jackets, vests, etc, is
        £180. If you cut it into 50mm x 50mm (2 inch x 2 inch) patches,
        that's 20p each. They sell smaller rolls at about the same price-per-
        metre. This is with just a quick search, almost the first firm that
        I found, so it may be much cheaper elsewhere.

        http://www.apetape.co.uk/gbu0-prodshow/reflective-tape-sew-on-
        5050.html

        eBay UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/ has a whole category for high
        visibility, reflective clothing and materials, if you search
        for 'reflective'.

        Since it has to be sewn on, then it could be some paid-employment
        for someone. I think I've also seen iron-on patches like this.

        Ricardo

        --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Feldman"
        <kaippg@...> wrote:

        > Dear Pam and All,
        >
        > Thanks for your excellent idea, something which--when mentioned--
        brings a lot of resonance, but which (as you say yourself) people
        don't usually think much about. So glad you brought it up!

        > I/we will be interested to hear feedback from people in Kenya and
        elsewhere: since so many use bicycles, walk, or ride motorscooters,
        I would think there would certainly be a need and a market.

        > One other thing I am constantly running across, at least in
        Kenya: the need for school uniforms, and sometimes lack of same,
        which impedes some would-be students from attending school. There
        are some projects which have developed (I believe Hezekiah of
        Reachout, who is here at HH, has one) along these lines, using
        donated sewing machines, which are relatively inexpensive in Kenya
        ($75 or so).

        > But the need is so much greater: I'm thinking now about Tom
        Ochuka and his young folks, also Charles Aboge and the Kisumu
        Children's Centre, where a potential donation of uniforms from the
        UK may not happen because we cannot find a shipper, and then of
        course there are the shipping and import fees. We may be able to
        locate some volunteers or employees of UK-based nonprofits who are
        travelling to Kenya and can carry small amounts of clothing, but
        that in itself is a challenge.

        > So having a locally-based capacity is, for several reasons
        (employment, skills-building, community and individual development,
        ready supply of uniforms for students, more youth in school as a
        result), of utmost importance. This is something we can also think
        about, and the reflective clothing and items can be included in this
        type of project.

        > With greatest thanks for bringing this to our attention, Pam, and
        hope this is something we can work on soon! Janet

        Mobile. Try it now.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2008
          If there is interest (and if someone could take a small parcel to Kenya) then we might be able to try something using free samples. I met someone at a party in December last year who imports reflective strips from China to use in his business. He said he could get me some free samples of various widths etc to try out. I anticipated getting back to him sooner, but probably it is not too late.

          Is there local interest?

          Does anyone know anyone who could carry a parcel? Is VSO a possible source of help? Who else might help?

          Pam

          <kaippg@...> wrote:

          > Dear Pam and All,
          >
          > Thanks for your excellent idea, something which--when mentioned--
          brings a lot of resonance, but which (as you say yourself) people
          don't usually think much about. So glad you brought it up!

          > I/we will be interested to hear feedback from people in Kenya and
          elsewhere: since so many use bicycles, walk, or ride motorscooters,
          I would think there would certainly be a need and a market.

          > One other thing I am constantly running across, at least in
          Kenya: the need for school uniforms, and sometimes lack of same,
          which impedes some would-be students from attending school. There
          are some projects which have developed (I believe Hezekiah of
          Reachout, who is here at HH, has one) along these lines, using
          donated sewing machines, which are relatively inexpensive in Kenya
          ($75 or so).

          > But the need is so much greater: I'm thinking now about Tom
          Ochuka and his young folks, also Charles Aboge and the Kisumu
          Children's Centre, where a potential donation of uniforms from the
          UK may not happen because we cannot find a shipper, and then of
          course there are the shipping and import fees. We may be able to
          locate some volunteers or employees of UK-based nonprofits who are
          travelling to Kenya and can carry small amounts of clothing, but
          that in itself is a challenge.

          > So having a locally-based capacity is, for several reasons
          (employment, skills-building, community and individual development,
          ready supply of uniforms for students, more youth in school as a
          result), of utmost importance. This is something we can also think
          about, and the reflective clothing and items can be included in this
          type of project.

          > With greatest thanks for bringing this to our attention, Pam, and
          hope this is something we can work on soon! Janet

          Mobile. Try it now.