local content development

  • Dan Otedo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2008
      My experience providing digital literacy at the Community Technology Learning Centre has kept me constantly thinking about the importance of knowledge based learning.
      There no doubt that local content is key in bridging the digital divide. inasmuch we have been focusing on skills building.
      Deciding on what to do with technology remains a big challenge,perhaps just as much as knowing how to use /operate a computer.
      To fill this gap,some effort should me made in enabling local communities to develop local content,relevant to their social political and economic life.
      I have observed the frustration of our community in sharing information on health, the lake victoria fisheries,and many social issues. Some make a 2 hour voyage from the islands to acess vital information services. Only to be disapointed.
      It is my desire to develop a hub of information that would have postings for instance on HIV/AIDS is affecting the littoral community, the social economics of lake victoria fisheries, food stories,locally developed content on child abuse,,child labor, gender based violence.etc.
      may be it would not be me and Sam developing the content,but,empowering the locals here, especially our former trainees with skills (and we also need this)of developing the same.
      The point here is to focus on learning and capacity building more than deployment of technology in order to come up with a design that addresses the societys information needs a in holistic and integral manner.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs