Re: Elizabeth in Uganda wants to grow mushrooms

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 26, 2008
      Elizabeth,

      What is your full name? In the meanwhile, I have created a wiki page
      for you:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Elizabeth

      We also have a page on mushrooms which includes an article written I
      think by Samwel Kongere
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Mushrooms
      which I include below.

      We also have more links to stories about mushrooms at My Food Story:
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/index.php?tag=Mushrooms

      --------------------------------------

      Mushrooms

      Mushrooms were regard as wild crop in my community for a long a time,
      but with the emergence of the Mushroom project in Uashin Gishu. My
      people are becoming a ware to learn of Nutritional status of the
      mushrooms and its commercial value, which could help in alleviating
      starvation and poverty.

      The Mushroom experience from a farmer group in Kenya near Eldoret has
      really spearheaded the experience and belief before, Mushroom growers
      association of Kenya in the vast Rift Valley province: indicate that
      current Mushroom production in Kenya is estimated at 500 tones per
      annum. They had that with a Mushroom per capita consumption of 1.54 Kgs
      per adult equivalent, the potential demand would be 30, 800 tones annually.

      Currently Mushrooms a premium price compared to beef. The existing
      average price for Mushrooms 275 percent higher the present percent of
      beef. If Mushrooms are made available and affordable like meat and
      promotional back up done, then its per capita consumption can rise to at
      least 10 percent of that of meat.

      The consumption of Mushrooms is still low because many people in Kenya
      do not know its importance. Including the community where I live. This
      is manifested in the poor response from some quarters of the country,
      where people do not value Mushrooms. The other determining factor for
      poor consumption of Mushrooms is the price, which is still high for a
      common citizen.

      The association is working on modalities to reduce the production costs,
      which will lead to lowering prices of the commodity and hence high
      consumption. This, it is hoped will lead to a steady supply of the
      produce and products in the local market.

      Mushroom is a very potential crop, which can be grown by poor households
      in a sustainable way to create a livelihood, improve nutrition and women
      participation in Agriculture. As I am trying to explore this wonderful
      crop after seeing, it sold in a super market; Mushroom is crucial
      investment that can spur economic growth among the poor even with little
      water. Our Island though surrounded by water, the catchments is poor due
      to the drained galleys towards the lake. The low water demand for
      mushrooms can be very helpful if its introduced here.

      Mushroom crops bear a huge potential to attain commercialization through
      increased production; lowering cost of production, mobilization and
      capacity building for producer groups, market access and increased
      consumption; raising consumer awareness by making the product available
      through information gathering.

      The overall impact of Mushroom commercialization ranges from income
      generation for poor households, nutrition improvement and environmental
      conservation. If technology is improved and information is near to the
      farmers, therefore traditional beliefs will be something of the past and
      more utilization can be done to commercialize more crops.

      There were some types of mushrooms, which were regarded as good and
      nutritious. A hotel vendor in Kisumu Town has started giving a special
      dish only for mushrooms; he is getting customers due to unavailability
      of traditional dishes. His price is comparatively high and the local
      poor people cannot afford.

      ---------------------
      Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:05:10 UTC Elizabeth wrote: I really need someone to
      teach me how to grow mushrooms to enable me get some income to sustain
      my family.

      SashaMrkailo : Dear Elizabeth, you didn't wrote how can we contact you?
      Do you have email address or cellphone? Are you subscribed to some of
      our groups? Please write the answer here. i have a very limited
      experience in growing mushrooms, but perhaps we can find more
      informations, I had lots of informations on mushroom growing in some
      earlier periods.

      Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:55:15 UTC Elizabeth: Thank you SashaMrkailo. My
      contact is cellphone is 0772413373. I am in Ugandan Mbale District,
      Eastern Region.I have not yet subscribed to any group because I don't
      know how to go about it.My email address is kyewae@.... Best
      Regards, Elizabeth

      Dear Elizabeth,

      Thank you for writing to us at our wiki:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Assistance

      I have signed you up for Steve Bosserman's working group Social
      Agriculture http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socialagriculture/ at our
      Minciu Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt You might also be interested
      in our working groups One Reaching Another
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/onereachinganother/ led by Fred Kayiwa in
      Kampala, Uganda and Learning From Each Other
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ led by Pamela
      McLean in London who is keen to organize help to answer questions such
      as yours.

      Does anybody know about growing mushrooms?

      Thank you, Sasha, for replying to Elizabeth's post.

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania