Help with Program for Ethical Public Domain

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2008
      I ask for our help with a workshop that I am organizing in Vilnius,
      Lithuania on Monday, March 31, 2008 called Ethical Public Domain: Debate
      of Questionable Practices. We need help with discussion and debate on
      the topics below. Please write to our groups and we may share your
      thoughts. Also, I invite us to join the website
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org We will have ten guests from Kenya -
      Kennedy Owino and the Nafsi Afrika acrobats and drummers - and also
      about ten Minciu Sodas guests from Europe, and more from Lithuania. So
      this will be our largest meeting so far I think, even larger than
      Nakuru! I invite our thoughts on what we might accomplish. And thank
      you for sharing news about our event with our link
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Andrius, ms@...

      Thank you to all who have joined our website
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org which is how we register for our
      COMMUNIA workshop in Vilnius, March 31, 2008, Ethical Public Domain:
      Debate of Questionable Practices, and also how we are preparing online
      even if we can't attend in person.

      We've made some progress in preparing for the debates, but we still need
      quite a bit more help these next few days. Please, if you can, submit a
      draft of your one-page paper by Wednesday if you would like to debate a
      questionable practice. That will help us organize the debates.

      Here are the topics that we have so far, and the help we need. Note
      that in every case we need opponents and judges. I look for all of us
      to help in some capacity!

      Term Extensions:
      Stef J van Gompel and Andrew Cranfield are both planning to write
      one-page statements to critique the European Commission's (DG Internal
      Market) intention to bring forward a proposal to extend the term of
      protection for related rights in phonograms (sound recordings) from 50
      years to 95 years. Please do so! and we will look for somebody here in
      Lithuania to debate you.

      Publishing:
      Didzis Veinbergs of Latvia is starting a business as a publisher of
      Latvian literature in the Public Domain. He has written a critique of
      existing practices where Public Domain classics are nevertheless guarded
      by copyright. Thomas Chepaitis is looking for a Lithuanian publisher
      of classics to debate with him.

      Developing Countries:
      Maria Agnese Giraudo, a research librarian in Italy who travels
      regularly to Africa, is preparing a critique on intellectual property
      rights and the developing world. I ask Pamela McLean of the UK and
      Surya Prakash Vinjamuri of India to also write something for this topic.

      Human Rights Commissions:
      Eric Wanjamah is a student in Sweden from Kenya. He is concerned that
      Kenya be an equitable and just society. "Addressing historical
      injustices will require that the ills committed be told to the public,
      that all classified information in the form of commissions of inquiries
      and reports be made public domain." We will try to find for him
      participants in Lithuania's investigation of Soviet and Nazi atrocities.
      http://ethicalpublicdomain.ning.com/profile/EricWanjamah

      Video Bridge Services:
      Franz Nahrada of Austria is a leader in the "global villages" movement
      whereby villages are reinvigorated as centers of knowledge and
      learning. He is asking telecoms to provide video bridge equipment
      free-of-charge to community centers that sign up for video bridge
      service, much like they provide DSL modems free-of-charge to DSL service
      subscribers. Franz will join us by video bridge and debate with a
      telecom representative.

      Youth:
      Fred Kayiwa is a student in Kampala, Uganda, a fantastic online social
      networker who is interested in starting an Internet cafe. He is
      concerned that youth are often represented by people in their thirties
      and forties. Indeed, does existing copyright law make sense for
      creative works by children and youth? What does it say that so many
      important copyrights in film and music are works geared towards children
      and youth, and derivative of youth culture? Benoit Couture has also
      contributed related ideas about the weakness of our collective

      Creative Commons (?):
      Prodromo Tsiavos, could you write a short, gentle, one-page critique of
      the Creative Commons with emphasis of where you would like to see it
      go? That would make an excellent debate and discussion.

      COMMUNIA (?):
      John Hendrik Weitzmann urged that COMMUNIA stay neutral with regard to
      the Public Domain. John, might you elaborate your thoughts in a page or
      so? That could be a good subject for us to debate. Another issue is
      the license used by the COMMUNIA website http://www.communia-project.eu
      , which currently is the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike.
      http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Would anybody like to
      suggest a different license? The Share Alike provision, in my
      understanding, clashes with the Public Domain when they are used
      together in derivative works.

      Shortening Copyright Terms
      Sasha Mrkailo is interested to present ideas in favor of shortening
      copyright terms, especially drawing on ideas from Michael Hart's papers.

      Memory of Institutions:
      András Galambosi has raised several questions about cultural heritage
      preservation. András, could you write a one-page critique of a
      questionable practice?

      Orphan Works
      Would somebody like to present a critique of a related practice?

      Local Councils
      Markus Petz said he would contribute a one-page paper. That would be great.

      We also have several topics that have arisen in Lithuania. In various
      topics I note tensions that relate to the public sphere, sharing, the
      commons, and in one way or another, the Public Domain. These tensions
      can call into question the legal system, the nation-state, the economic
      system and the many foundations of our civilization that come together
      in copyright law.

      Plagiarism:
      Jolita Malinauskaite teaches law. She is organizing a conference in
      Lithuania on the subject of plagiarism. Quite a few professors have
      been passing off their students' work as their own!

      Nationalism and Minorities:
      We have had a discussion in Lithuanian at Minciu Sodas about the balance
      between national and minority cultures. How does one foster a culture?

      Religious Practices in Public Spaces:
      We have had discussion in Lithuanian on whether it is appropriate for
      public spaces to be used for structures (such as labyrinths) that may or
      may not have negative impact on the spiritual surroundings.

      Alcohol, Drugs and Advertisement:
      We have an active movement to limit television broadcast of alcohol
      advertisements and a fierce campaign by the alcohol industry to overturn
      such limits.

      More? My plan is to focus on the ten debates that are best prepared,
      but have spaces to do more, as needed.

      -----------------------

      Here are people who have signed up at our website
      http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org that they will come:
      Christopher Brosch (eear.eu), Caroline (fundp.ac.be), Maria Iglesias
      (fundp.ac.be), Patricia (creativecommons.org), Michelle
      (creativecommons.org), Ruth Inigo (upc.edu), Anna Rovira (upc.edu),
      Tomislav Medak, Prodromos Tsiavo (lse.ac.uk), Georg Pleger (pleger.at),
      Nuria Rodriguez Murillo (beuc.eu), Tinah Nandako, Andrew Cranfield

      People who have said they are coming to Vilnius but have not yet signed
      up for our website http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please do so!
      Ignasi Labastida, Paul Keller, Klaas Schmidt, Maja Lubarda, Daniele
      Bourcier and a French colleague, Stefjvan Gompel, Juan Carlos De Martin

      Participants from Minciu Sodas who are coming:
      Markus Petz, Didzis Veinbergs, Vygantas Vejas, Maria Agnese Giraudo,
      Zenonas Anusauskas, Pamela McLean, Theresa Bakalarz, Eric Wanjamah,
      Jolita Malinauskaite, Kennedy Owino and the Nafsi Afrika acrobats and
      drummers, and more from Lithuania.
      and not coming but participating:
      Franz Nahrada, Surya Prakash Vinjamuri, Fred Kayiwa

      I look forward to our working together in Vilnius at our workshop!

      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania