Re: [mendenyo] Greetings to our Peacemakers in Nakuru!

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
      Earth Stewardship Council

      I confess that I have accepted Andrius' invitation with very mixed feelings, as Andrius knows. I do it on the understanding that being on his Earth Stewardship Council is a bit like being on an advisory board - i.e. when something is being discussed that is relevant to what I know then I say what I think and why - but I don't really expect to understand everything that is going on .

      I have accepted because I admire Andriuss work and vision and approach - regarding Minciu Sodas and the Pyramid of Peace.
      and I want to be involved in the next steps of what happens with Pyramid of Peace.

      My personal vision for PoP is to develop a network of local centres which can serve as innovation centres. I see PoP as a vibrant on the ground netwrok, linked through ICT (phones and Internet). I would like to see PoP centres fighting poverty and injustice on a very local basis, but sharing ideas, information and good practice with each other - building on the communications network that has developed since the contested election. So we PoP for Prosperity and PoP for justice - we don't just PoP for Peace.  (Come to think of it we have Pop-in centres for various kinds of community things - mother and toddler groups for example.)

      On a practical level that means trying things out in the local centres- things regarding livelihoods, education and training, job creation, health and hygiene, water and sanitation - all kinds of things that have to do with "better" less impoverished life styles. (I personally do not believe that a life style based on 20th century models of growth and consumerism is an appropriate model for any society, not even the ones that are living that way, and the sooner we find something better to replace it the happier I will be. However - that does not alter the fact that many of the benefits of industrialised societies are desirable for all of us - if only we can work out how to enable those benefits to be developed and sustained.)

      Really I would prefer to make my suggestions simply from my comfrot zone - the position of leading Learning From Each Other - not from Andrius' Stewardhship Council.

      I am reluctant to become a member of Andrius Earth Stewardhsip Council for various reasons:  I haven't had time to really read, consider, and visualise all Andrius' ideas on this, so I may have teh wrong idea about it, but my first impression is that "It's not me". It seems to be making grand practical plans on things I am ignorant about and for which I have no practical skills or aptitudes. Also I do not personally feel comfortable with all the language that Andrius is using (about things like God, and caring  and loving enemies and such like). I don't like titles or descriptions that seem to me to be pretentious (too "international"or "global") and as for things like caring or loving enemies - it is the Kenyan PoP people who do that, and I am not any kind of good example in those directions. As for the references to God. I have no intention of being drawn into discussion on personal beliefs. However  my life experience has taught me to be deeply suspicious of anyone claiming to do anything under the authority of God instead of simply accepting a human (fallible) personal responsibility for their decisions and actions. I also feel that Earth Stewardhsip Council  membership may need a bigger time commitment than I can offer.

      I explained much of this to Andrius during our conversation, but he still thinks I'd be useful, even if only to question some of his thinking.  As I very much appreciate what he is and what he does, and as I think he deserves all the help he can get, here I am.
      I hope I will understand better what Andrius has in mind and what he wants me to do after we meet in Vilnius.

      Meanwhile, I apologise in advance for my need to drop out of this, and other Mincius Sodas discussions (except for LFEO), as far as possible, until Vilnius, as I have left many things undone since Christmas because of trying to contribute to PoP.

      Pam

      On 15/03/2008, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@...> wrote:

      I send my greetings to our Peacemakers assembled in Nakuru. I add the
      great appreciation of all of us around the world who have supported your
      loving work with our deeds and thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

      We are very fortunate that so many of you can come together. We await
      your news of what you value, what you wish to discover, what you
      endeavor to achieve. Thank you to Rachel Wambui Kungu for organizing
      this meeting and to Janet Feldman for providing generous support.

      I share my thoughts what I think is important so that we might achieve
      what others may not even attempt.

      My first concern is that we stay true to the independent thinkers, the
      independent peacemakers, the ones who dare to love their enemy with all
      of their own authority plus all of ours as well.

      My next wish is that we be able to include all who care so we might
      listen to them. This is a great challenge. I therefore ask each of us
      personally to consider:
      * Will we serve in our command structure for independent peacemakers,
      the Pyramid of Peace? Or will we serve in our consensus structures for
      listening to all who care, the Stewardship Councils for the locations,
      the bioregions and the whole Earth? I will keep these two structures
      distinct and no person will serve in both at the same time.
      * If you are a peacemaker, then are you ready to serve as a local
      Champion or bioregional Champion by the authority of our Commanders? In
      each location, we will have several people who can serve as Champions
      and we will constantly rotate you so that you are truly independent and
      can stand up to your own people to say and do what you think is right.
      * If you serve as a local Champion, are you able to give women first
      priority so that they can teach us how to listen? Are you able to
      organize a local Stewardship Council that is made up entirely of women?
      Can you support them so that for the first twelve months they are women
      only, and we include men only after the women have shown us their
      example? I hope that you might agree to take up this challenge as a
      peacemaker and support women and learn to defend them against domestic
      violence, which is our enemy. Let us help all to learn to listen to
      what the women want for us all.

      Yesterday I spoke for two and a half hours with Janet Feldman and almost
      one hour with Pamela McLean. They have agreed to serve on our Earth
      Stewardship Council, and so have Franz Nahrada and John Rogers. They
      are all leaders of working groups at our Minciu Sodas laboratory. I
      hope that each of the bioregion Stewardship Councils will in time
      provide us with a representative, who should also be a leader of a
      Minciu Sodas working group so that they are an experienced online
      leader. Such candidates include David Mutua, Kiyavilo Msekwa, Fred
      Kayiwa, Samwel Kongere, Josephat Ndibalema and we are ready to start
      more working groups if you would like to lead one.

      I look forward to you organizing the Stewardship Councils for the Lake,
      Rift Valley and Nairobi bioregions. They may have male members, but
      please be ready to include women, too. I ask us all to share our ideas
      for our Constitution for Humanity.

      I hope that my thoughts give you strength and encourage your imagination
      of what we can do. We have included the people who weren't included by
      others, we have responded in crisis to do what others would not do, and
      in this spirit I ask us to look to the future, what change can we work
      towards in ourselves and others?

      Peace and Love,

      Commander-in-Chief
      Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2008
        Dear Pam and All,

        Immense thanks to you for all of this wonderful feedback!  I will be brief now myself for your sake and also for mine (as well as for others :)), but I did want to say that I love your ideas abt PoP/POP as a network of local centers, focusing on peace and also other subjects like development, and using ICTs as a medium both for communication and advancement of these other goals.

        Andrius and I talked about the "emergency response network" and the potential use of this model and tool in many settings. You have added the "center" element to that, and also the "holistic" aspect (of addressing other subjects). I actually did mention "peace centers" (not defined as any particular kind) in a grant proposal to the Kenyan National Response Initiative (NRI)...will see how that flies soon, I hope, and then we can think abt how that might actually evolve on the ground.

        Thanks also for addressing the other issues, as these are important--if not bedrock in some ways--too. I share much of this myself, for the reasons you mention and others too. My own "constitution" email yesterday is meant to address some of that. We may not be--collectively and/or individually--ready to address "organization-building", or something even beyond that, initiatives which might be "world-changing".

        But that will unfold over time, and I am deeply thankful that we can do that with your presence and help! We look forward to whatever you can do, whenever you can do it (I share some of the same needs and concerns myself)!! With greatest appreciation and blessings, Janet