Teachers Talking 2nd Anniversary Celebration

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006
      Forgive cross posting - this brings you the latest about our Fantsuam
      Foundation TT group
      Pam

      Subject:
      NL 41 - Teachers Talking 2nd Anniversary Celebration
      From:
      lorraine <lorraine@...>
      Date:
      Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:47:50 +0000

      To:
      cawdnet-news@...

      Newsletter 41 - Teachers Talking 2nd Anniversary Celebration

      Welcome to the latest update from Cawdnet - working in Nigeria and the
      UK to make the most of digital technology for development.

      Content
      1. Introduction
      2. Cawdnet Campus
      3. Newsletter, News Alerts and Newsboards
      4. Teachers Talking Anniversary Celebration
      5. Shopping on-line can help CAWD
      6. Summary

      ##########

      1. Introduction
      This newsletter features our annual celebration of Teachers Talking -
      when rural teachers in Nigeria gather to be online and chat across teh
      digital divide with friends in the UK. It also demonstrates our new
      approach to sharing news, which, for the first time, points you to
      Cawdnet Campus.

      ##########

      2. Cawdnet Campus
      Cawdnet Campus is our new "virtual meeting place" on the Internet. It
      was mentioned briefly in Newsletter 40. Rather than explaining what it
      is, and how we hope it will work, we will simply start to use it to
      support the Newsletter over the coming months. Gradually as it gets
      increasingly up-and-running we hope you will appreciate its many
      features and benefits. Techies may like to know that Cawdnet Campus runs
      on Moodle. As with any new enterprise "teething troubles" are a distinct
      possibility - so please be patient with us. Anyone with experience of
      Moodle (or interest in it) is very welcome to come and join Pam
      pam@... and Lorraine lorraine@... on their learning curve and
      help to get Cawdnet information moved to Moodle.

      ##########

      3. Newsletter, News Alerts and Newsboards
      We plan to experiment with News Alerts instead of our old style
      newsletter.Those of you who subscribe to various online newsletters will
      be aware of the news alerts style. Instead of a newsletter *covering*
      stories in full it simply *offers* the full stories. It gives the
      opening sentences of each story plus a link to where you can read more.
      This makes it much easier for readers to quickly scan the contents and
      choose what they want to read in detail. Thanks to Cawdnet Campus we can
      now try this approach. Our story about the Teachers Talking Anniversary
      Celebration is our first experiment at creating a news alert.

      ##########

      4. Teachers Talking Anniversary Celebration
      Most teachers who attend the Teachers Talking training programme work in
      rural schools well away from the Internet, so our annual on-line get
      together is a real cause for celebration. The second annual Teachers
      Talking anniversary celebration was held on Friday 17th November.
      Florence Bukola Bale, who helped to present the TT course earlier this
      year, arranged the anniversary celebration at Fantsuam Foundation (FF)
      Community Learning Centre (CLC). It was judged a great success by those
      who participated.

      During the morning Florence .... click
      http://moodle.cawd.net/course/view.php?id=137 for the full story -
      you'll find it as "Latest News" in the middle of the page.

      ##########

      5. Shopping on-line can help CAWD.
      As Christmas approaches you may be shopping online. Many major stores -
      such as Marks and Spencers, Jessops, Toys R Us, Currys, Comet, Hamleys,
      and lots more make a donation to your chosen charity if you buy online
      through easyfundraising. You can nominate CAWD as your chosen charity.
      It costs you nothing - in fact there are often excellent special offers.
      It's an easy way to shop, and it boosts our funds - so please check the
      link for your favourite suppliers - keep this link to hand - and pass it
      on to your friends http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/

      Summary
      The Teachers Talking second anniversary online celebration was a great
      success. The cewlebration story was used to try out our new "alerts"
      approach to the Newsletter using Cawdnet Campus. There was also a
      reminder that shopping online through http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/
      is a great way to boost CAWD's funds.

      CAWD is a UK Registered Charity (number 1104228).