Nakuru meeting: Constitutions and Stewardship Councils

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2008
      (CC: Sue Wen Chiao, Joseph Alila, Odundo jaKarateng, please see below
      our interest in the future of the Luo tribe.)

      I spoke yesterday with Rachel Wambui Kungu +254 721 626 389
      http://www.peace-caravan.org, Kennedy Owino +254 723 568
      251http://www.nafsiafrica.org and Dennis Kimambo +254 722 388 275
      http://www.repacted.org about the March 15-16 meeting which Rachel is
      organizing in Nakuru, Kenya. I outlined to them my thoughts below and
      they agree. They will add their thoughts and I invite us all likewise.

      Rachel has won funding for her organization Volunteer Youth
      Philanthropists to organize a training of peacemakers in Nakuru on March
      15. She is thus bringing together our Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net leaders and peacemakers who can meet after
      the training. We are also inviting others to join us, but especially
      Peter Kironyoh +254 722 685 830 and others from the Kenya Citizens
      Assembly http://www.ccr-kenya.com which is leading efforts so that a new
      Kenya Constitution is the work of citizens rather than politicians.

      I note that at this time we have exhausted our funds. From March 23,
      2008 I have received about 1700 USD raised by Janet, Pamela, Agnese and
      I have distributed that amount to Dennis, Kennedy and Rachel. You can
      see what I have received and distributed:
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net/timebanks/report.php
      Currently, Rachel has about 300 USD of cash and we have agreed that 100
      USD will be for her airtime and to engage the Nairobi demonstrators
      (formerly of the Mungiki) and 200 USD will be for the Nakuru meeting.

      The Nakuru meeting will bring together our many leaders to:
      * Discuss my outline of the Constitution for Humanity and make suggestions.
      * Discuss priorities for activity and sharing resources.
      * Agree on four members for the Earth Stewardship Council.
      * Merge our nationwide efforts with the Kenya Citizen Assembly for
      citizen participation in drafting the Kenyan Constitution.
      * Meet separately as Stewardship Councils for the Lake, Rift Valley, and
      Nairobi bioregions.

      I share my plan for proceeding with the Constitution for Humanity,
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Constitution
      especially the Stewardship Councils, which are key for our Nakuru
      meeting. My wish is to open up roles for all of our participants as
      they might wish. Currently, my own roles are:
      * Commander-in-Chief of the Pyramid of Peace, with full authority in our
      command structure (leadership structure) for independent peacemakers.
      * Maintainer of the Constitution for Humanity, which acknowledges and
      fosters other sources of authority.
      * Direktorius of Minciu Sodas http://www.ms.lt an open laboratory for
      serving and organizing independent thinkers, which provides the context
      for a worldwide culture of independent thinkers, as structured by the
      Constitution for Humanity.

      The Constitution for Humanity acknowledges the rights to love, to
      cherish, to care:
      * Independent peacemakers have the right to love their enemy with all
      the authority that they are able to wield.
      * All people have the right to cherish their upbringing, and to belong
      to no culture or any and all cultures as who they are.
      * All people have the right to be included in consensus for all matters
      that they care about.

      We are developing three kinds of structures by which we might exercise
      these rights. I invite our ideas, suggestions, advice, critique and
      alternatives.

      -------------------------------------
      Pyramid of Peace
      -------------------------------------

      Rachel, Dennis, Kennedy and I agree that the name "Pyramid of Peace" is
      best used to refer to our command structure for our independent
      peacemakers. This is a structure which we lead as the Commanders, and I
      as the Commander-in-Chief with full authority, in particular, to appoint
      a Commander-of-Operations. We don't need to root our authority in any
      other, except to do as God does, and thus be peacemakers, children of God.

      I invite us all to participate in our Pyramid of Peace as independent
      peacemakers and/or create our own pyramids, as we like.

      We will call Champions the local leaders of the Pyramid of Peace.
      Rachel will appoint them in the Nairobi bioregion, Dennis in the Rift
      Valley bioregion, and Kennedy in the Lake bioregion.

      We do need other structures, other sources of authority.

      Cultural Bards

      We have suffered because of the weakness and negligence of the tribal
      leaders. I wish for a world of vibrant cultures that can thrive despite
      globalization. I wish for us to offer the tribes and cultures a
      structure for leadership by those who know and cherish their cultures.
      I know how in Soviet-occupied Lithuania our independence movement in
      1988-1990 was led by a council of about thirty intellectuals who spoke
      for us all. I think likewise that our cultures would be much more
      responsible if we acknowledged the "bards" who speak to us and for us,
      help us regard our elders, bring us to our Scriptures, transform them
      anew. As David Ellison-Bey says, "every nation will worship under its
      own vine and fig tree".

      This will be very hard and may take decades. Kennedy and I canceled the
      trip to the Luos in part because of lack of funds, but in part because
      of lack of leadership that would reflect our own Minciu Sodas culture of
      independent thinkers. Thank you, Samwel Kongere, for your letter today
      where you explain your need to strengthen your own situation before you
      apply yourself to such endeavors. Indeed, I want to engage the Luo
      elders when we are able to suggest an alternative that builds on the
      strengths of our own culture as independent thinkers. Ronald Omondi
      +254 722 480 811, thank you for your very thoughtful letter. We spoke
      afterwards and I am interested that you lead a working group based on
      your deepest value "succeeding at impossible tasks" which you will do in
      the Sheng language, a creole language based on Swahili but also
      including words from Luo, English and other languages.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheng_(linguistics) This will help us reach
      out to the youth as at http://www.sheng.co.ke but I imagine is at odds
      with the traditional Dholuo language
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dholuo_language There is also a list here
      with many Luo intellectuals who we might reach out to:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luo_%28Kenya_and_Tanzania%29 And we have
      the good example of Josephat Ndibalema's work in Kiswahili
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hakielimurafiki/ thank you to Kiyavilo
      Msekwa for http://www.worknets.org/sw/

      Stewardship Councils

      Our Nakuru meeting will bring to life a system of Stewardship Councils
      for locations, bioregions and our entire Earth. The purpose of each
      Stewardship Council is to include the full diversity of people who care,
      near and far, and coordinate sharing of resources, including a treasury,
      both in cash and community currency.

      The Earth Stewardship Council should be a bottom-up arrangement that
      includes people from all bioregions. That is not possible yet, so I wish
      to appoint Janet Feldman, Franz Nahrada, John Rogers and Pamela McLean.
      Would you agree to be members? Also, I will look to our Stewardship
      Councils in Kenya and Africa to provide four members of the Earth
      Stewardship Council. So we will have some balance and some bottom-up
      participation, too.

      However, this will be virtual work, and all of the members should be
      comfortable as online leaders, and also with our Minciu Sodas
      laboratory's culture of independent thinkers. Therefore I add the
      minimum requirement of every ESC member that they lead a working group
      at our Minciu Sodas laboratory based on their deepest value. Another
      expectation, in the long term, is that they be active in some local or
      bioregional Stewardship Council, preferably where they live, but not
      necessarily.

      Commanders may not be members of Stewardship Councils and that
      disqualifies me, Rachel Wambui Kungu, Dennis Kimambo and Kennedy Owino.
      This is because I want to keep the branches separate so that we can have
      clear answers to what people want as a group and not have that confused
      with what peacemakers want to do as individuals. The Councils may or
      may not allow commanders, champions, peacemakers to attend meetings, but
      generally their work should be open and public.

      We currently therefore have only a few candidates, those who are already
      leading working groups: Samwel Kongere (Rusinga Island, Kenya), David
      Mutua (Nairobi, Kenya), Fred Kayiwa (Kampala, Uganda), Kiyavilo Msekwa
      (Arusha, Tanzania), Josephat Ndibalema (Dar es Salaam, Tanzania). But we
      have many good writers and we can start organizing more. If you are
      interested, please let us know and write about your deepest value in life!

      Ultimately, the Council will have 12 people but we are covering only a
      portion of our planet's bioregions and so I think we can start with 8
      for now.

      Rachel, Dennis, Kennedy will appoint Champions for each location. They
      will each likewise organize a local Stewardship Council by appointing 4
      members and then inviting interested people to a meeting which would
      provide 4 more. (Note that the Champions may not be members of these
      councils.) Each Stewardship Council should strive to include people of
      different sexes, tribes, beliefs, ages, occupations and circumstances.
      Also, where there are obstacles to include people (the deaf being
      potentially an example), then be sure to include those who might speak
      for them, or find ways to overcome those obstacles. All interested
      people are encouraged to group together to create additional Stewardship
      Councils that reflect diversity but are dedicated to caring for some
      area. I also encourage you to include supporters from farther away,
      whether in Kenya or around the world. We encourage us all to organize
      such meetings this week and report to Rachel, our
      Commander-of-Operations and organizer of the Nakuru meeting, so that she
      might invite you to send representatives to the Nakuru meeting, if
      possible. We have very little money and so we encourage each
      Stewardship Council to organize some money for their representative to
      make the trip. I think it would be great if we could have a Champion
      and a Representative from at least 3 locations in the Lake Region, 6 in
      the Rift Valley, and 3 in the Nairobi region.

      We look for input from each Stewardship Council regarding your own
      priorities and how you would like to work with other regions. We ask
      for your thoughts how we might best organize ourselves and improve our
      Constitution for Humanity. We also ask for input on the Kenyan
      Constitution. Please find a local person who cares about the new Kenya
      Constitution and might serve as a delegate for working on that. Tegi
      Obanda of Kenya Citizens Assembly encourages us to find such people.

      At the end of the Nakuru meeting, Rachel Wambui Kungu will meet with the
      Nairobi bioregion representatives, Dennis Kimambo with the Rift Valley
      bioregion representatives, and Kennedy Owino with the Lake bioregion
      representatives, and they will set up Stewardship Councils for these
      bioregions either immediately or at a later date.

      In the coming years, we will see if we can take such an organizational
      approach based on the bioregions of the world:
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com/wildworld/profiles/terrestrial_aa.html
      Note also that the bioregions can overlap and don't have sharp
      boundaries. They are determined by the plants and animals which inhabit
      them. I encourage our online participants to think locally, not just
      globally!

      I also ask us as we seek consensus in the Stewardship Councils to be
      attentive to the authority of God as it enters the group from beyond,
      whether as a "group conscience", or the fluttering of the Holy Spirit,
      or as you witness.

      I am making the most of my authority to include everybody. The
      Stewardship Councils are enormously important because they will organize
      our resources, decide on priorities, raise funds and spend them,
      including for our peacemakers. Each Stewardship Council will decide
      whether or not to accept our Constitution for Humanity or any other
      arrangement, and advise me and Minciu Sodas on any changes we should
      make to the Constitution for Humanity. I believe that by allowing each
      other to take up the roles that we care to, we will make rapid progress
      in evolving a loving, caring, cherishing structure for us all and our work.

      Please let us know what roles you would like to play? and how might we
      structure ourselves so that you could?

      I wish all successful preparations for the Nakuru meeting!

      We have many good peacemaking missions that simply need funds, typically
      200 USD, sometimes more, sometimes less. I invite our donations at
      Pyramid of Peace http://www.pyramidofpeace.net Also, thank you Agnese
      for caring about Lawrence Achami so that he would have an Internet
      enabled telephone and might someday serve as a Commander. We have spent
      the money which I had hoped to apply to this.

      Commander-in-Chief
      Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net
      Direktorius
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • David mutua
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
        Dear Andrius, Rachel, Ken, Dennis and All.
        Andrius, I do agree with you now that we all need an understandable working relationship in terms of the PoP structures, PoP working space, understanding our shared common interests and MoU (constitution). For the purpose of mobilizing resources even motivating the human resource this needs to be addressed, i am sorry to mention that we are in a development community that still values the requirements above due to working confidentials and transparency needs, may be in future we can make this community understand our independent thinkers values, its very difficult to get funds and motivate people to work with you when you dont have an identity, i remember in Naivasha when Rachel, Ken, Perpatual and I visited, the youths asked one crucial question "which organisation do we represent and who has the authority over our work and our refferences" this tells us that all structures of our communities have learned to work with people who can have some identity, that gives them confidence and willingness to work.

        The Stewardship Councils really interests me and look workable that we need to explore and explain it further, probably draw something indicating the PoP structure and connects, Pam and I draw structures of working relationships with our networks of friends, communities and organisations from locals to global, these are not permanent but change as activities and more networks are realised, these act as guiding maps.

        Andrius, I have discussed with Pam, Sam, Ken and Rachel the idea of having a PoP working space probaly in Nairobi, this idea is actually important because of our meetings, team working activities, meeting other parties, reference place and identity, they all had a positive response. Sam and I also looked at the Includer project that we had earlier projected to have an office and assembling plant near or in Kibera Slum, we will also be happy to have a branch of MS lab in Africa.
        To start this journey i have stated in the past that i am very much willing to lead in establishing this by examble, i have proposed that i can share my house partly as an office for PoP that will cost US$ 300 monthly covering rent and shared electricity bill this will be what i am using as my sitting room - Pam, Ken, Sam and Dan knows it,  i will provide some office funiture and stationary. In future when we have resources then we can have a fully equiped office.

        What do you think? Please advise..

        PEACE

        David Mutua

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- -

[...]

        ------------ --------- --------- -------
        Pyramid of Peace
        ------------ --------- --------- -------

        Rachel, Dennis, Kennedy and I agree that the name "Pyramid of Peace" is
        best used to refer to our command structure for our independent
        peacemakers. This is a structure which we lead as the Commanders, and I
        as the Commander-in- Chief with full authority, in particular, to appoint
        a Commander-of- Operations. We don't need to root our authority in any
        other, except to do as God does, and thus be peacemakers, children of God.

        I invite us all to participate in our Pyramid of Peace as independent
        peacemakers and/or create our own pyramids, as we like.

        We will call Champions the local leaders of the Pyramid of Peace.
        Rachel will appoint them in the Nairobi bioregion, Dennis in the Rift
        Valley bioregion, and Kennedy in the Lake bioregion.

        We do need other structures, other sources of authority.

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -
        Cultural Bards
        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -

[...]

        Minciu Sodas
        http://www.ms. lt
        ms@...
        +370 699 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania

      • David mutua

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2008
              Dear Andrius, Rachel and All,
              As i mentioned to Rachel and other PoP members who met on Friday, i wont be able to make it for Nakuru meeting, i will be traveling to Uganda to facilitate a newly VSO Returned volunteers workshop but i will be in touch and in any way my contribution on any discussion are needed please do not hesitate to get intouch with me.

              Fred Kayiwa, i would like us to meet when there, i will give you all details of where i will be in Kampala - i will leave Nairobi Thursday 14th in the evening, my number still remains = +254720462559.

              With warmest regards,

              David Mutua