Re: Engaging elders in peace process

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 7, 2008
      Dan, Thank you for your informative letter which I share. Thank you also
      for "cooling the porridge"! Agnese, yes I was naive, I thought that the
      Lithuanians I know in our government would surely find a way, starting
      with the foreign minister. Now I know I was naive. I hope you don't ask
      me for a goat because I have none! Thank you for your concern in your
      first letter, but especially for your understanding in your second
      letter. Thank you also for coming to the chat room and hearing me out in
      the presence of Kennedy and Samwel. I apologize to Samwel and all whose
      hopes I encouraged but now have dashed. Now there is a chance that
      Kennedy will be in Europe and may be able to come. Rachel, I will write
      more when I can because not everybody works as openly as we do.

      Dan, I wonder how to marry the old and the new. The tribes seem to have
      failed us in these troubles. The tribes will not go away so we must
      rather strengthen them so that they do not let such cruelties happen.
      Perhaps we could suggest the idea of Messengers or Listeners or Singers?
      That there are youthful, energetic Singers who help the people in the
      modern world listen to the elders, the ancestors, the traditions, and
      help the elders listen to the people, and help us all to listen to God.
      A Choir of Singers which is the Voice of the Culture?

    • Dan Otedo
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
        Hi Andrius ,
        It was quite  humbling to read your mail.Life is like a curved bell and at times we get to the top in so many ways, our emotions included.at times we are yet others we are and so many other emotions which stalk us as our shadows.I bet all this was out of the frustration of seeing things not going your way. This is petty much human and you should not fell downcast about it. the faster youget over it, the better for MSL and several activities and people  in it.

        We are torn in a world between old fasihioned ways  and the new fangled ways of doing things.Personally am happy that there is always something new to learn and to try out.Just look at it, the advent of electronic mail  and ICT''s has not condemned Old fashioned letter writting to the dustbin.There is no better illustration of this  than  the requirement for a hard copy of the invitation for Sam and Ken  to Lithuania . What am getting at is very much relevant for  this topic.

        I agree  with you about  the songs,"youthful, energetic Singers  to "help the people in the
        modern world listen to the elders" . This will definately be in the plan of the sustainable peace making process.Peace making is pretty much of a covenant .In Africa ,such a process must  have  two or more parties  involved,a witness,some conditions or obligations if you like, and a ceremony .You will see some wonderful videos we might manage to make, or even a documentary  for the same  if we put our heads together so that the world may know MSL and POP's contribution in this proces.

        Now that we have already made  the  initial contacts  with 'Ker.Riaga  Ogallo of the luo council of elders ,we have to visit him at his court and start serious Peace negotiations leading  to a Covenant making between various  tribes.Do you have tribes in  lithuania?
        The tribes  have failed us here only in as much as we are in a cultural vaccum that we find  ourselves in today.Perhaps Kenya  has become cosmopolitan intems of culture and the economy.
        Mission  will have the following objectives:
        1. Mobilise  and involve  the council of elders  in the waring communities/hot spots to negotiate a truce and cessation of hostilities.
        2. To facilitate and jumpstart peace making process by impresing the Luo council of elders to reach out to their peers in other communities.
        3. To brainstorm on the best ways possible and sustainable ways of going about the problem of internally displaced persons .

         We agreed at the POP meeting in Nairobi yesterday  to have Ronald Omondi,Sam Kongere,Hanninton Onyango and I go on this trip, and  then travel to Nakuru on 15th .The budget has the items below in mind  and will cost approximately 410 USD:
        • Travel/Transport
        • Meals
        • Acccomodation
        • Air time/phone minutes
        • A He- goat.
        • Refreshment for elders.

        Dan Otedo wrote:
> [...]
        > call Kalenjin council of elders, Luo council of elders, the
        > Mijikenda at the cost, the Kikuyu, etc and find broker deal for
        > Kenya of all.
        > I think at this point of re-focussing the situation is to have our
        > POP seek audience with the tribal elders, even those who talk of
        > this should talk of Land issues, poverty and Education for all. I
        > love information sharing and invetives but is ICT taking some
        > direction with wireless connections?
        > This is in my view but, let us join hands for peace as the
        > Parliament opens today and see the direction of the peace brokered
        > by Koffi Anan takes which direction for Kenya.
        > "Thanks to all who joined while I was as good as dead"
        > Sam
        > Try it now.
        >

        > Dan Andrew Otedo
        > Administrator
        > Tom Mboya Community Technology Learning Center

        Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states otherwise http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org Please be kind to our authors!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
        mailto:learningfromeachother-digest@yahoogroups.com
        mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Dan Andrew Otedo
        Administrator
        Tom Mboya Community Technology Learning Center
        P.O.box 18 Mbita Code 40305
        Kenya
        +254720366094

      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2008
          Dear Andrius and all of Minciu Sodas,

          I am replying for the sake of pointing out to Dan Otedo's letter and key concept, which is:

          "LOVE CONQUERS ALL"

          Great fertiliser for the Orchard of Thoughts and the PoP...

          Benoit

          Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms. lt, ms@...

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/learningfr omeachother/

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/learningfr omeachother/ join
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:learningfrom eachother- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
          mailto:learningfrom eachother- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Dan Andrew Otedo
          Administrator
          Tom Mboya Community Technology Learning Center
          P.O.box 18 Mbita Code 40305
          Kenya
          +254720366094

        • Samwel Kongere
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2008
            Hi to all, I've taken this time to have time for my family and do local community projects of which i had missed for two months when i was sick. The doctors adviced i should not involved on hard stress duties to help me monitor my health from within for two months of which i will return to nairobi for the final check up. For this matter I am going to have more concern formy family whose needs surrounds my well being and caring. The telecenter at mbita will be in my concentration for these months. The violence which erupted in Kenya had more effects in many families included is mine, i will need 300 dollars to spend on local needs including my family. I will therefore have my services concentrated in mbita. After this i will focus on expanding my ability on how to improve our lab local leadership shape. This long break will sow a sense of my leadership. The Nakuru meeting will be my next national gathering before i give mbita, family and health a
            concern. I therefore asked us to focus beyond on information for us all. You will be getting my updates frequently over this period. Thank you for. Sam.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • David mutua
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2008
              Dear Sam and Others,
              I am quit impressed by your wise words –you already qualify to be an elder in POP if not in your community yet and WELCOME BACK.
              I remember very well Peter Burgess also quoted example of Somaliland, Janet too talked about the American Indians - Indigenes of America (What we used to study in history as the Red Indians –CAUTION – this is not used any more) and Ken, Rachel and I also suggested that  “we need to let the identified grass – root coordinators own the process of peace building and development in their own communities, our only immediate intervention will be through awareness and capacity building through the existing institutions or structures because these structures where established in consideration of their deepest values, may be our long term plans might incorporate improved leadership and innovations after peace or justice is found in the communities”
              I have had the opportunity to live for a while in two countries that have many tribes, religions, traditions and cultures; these are India in Asia and Nigeria in Africa.

              Its quit amazing how Indians have been able to live together when they have so many tribes, different cultures and traditions and almost every religion is in India though some practices have been found extreme and change has been welcomed considering those deepest values mostly through government initiatives, incorporated in their five year plans since the 1970’s, when you check Kenya, South Africa and the UK where we have the highest number of Indians out of India, Indians have a stake in the economy of these countries to the extend that they have influenced our diet. In Kenya is true that the Indian community is the richest, they own the industries, the ICT sector, run big businesses like the Narkumatt, the pharmaceutical companies, they have grown with time by taking advantages of those opportunities that we don’t realize and live like brothers and sisters in large extended families that believe in assisting each other, I noticed in India that when kids are growing up they are groomed to respect family and community values, protect family and property, they always have a sense of ownership unlike in Kenya where many parents will not build that sense of ownership to their children –we have witnessed children fight or sue their parents because they sold the only land without consulting them that leaving them as IDP’s. Fellow Kenyans, remember not long ago, last December there was a case that a whole extended family of more than 30 people wanted to commit suicide because their parents sold their only land  - what does this tell us?  I look at it this way; we have not been building sustainable families and communities, because this sense of ownership starts with an individual, its very import to be confident of yourself and things you do, then it extends to your family that you all need to own the process in building the family spiritually and materially that everyone has a responsibility to move the family to the next level and that’s the same with communities.
              I learned that Kenyans have a behaviour that is quit unique from other Africans, its only in Kenya where you hardly find traditional cloths, preserved cultures and so on, Kenyans can not boast of their traditional foods any where in the world like Nigeria, Ethiopia and other African countries and you find the Kenyan Diaspora divided in tribal lines, our neighbours in the region have a very wealth preserved culture.

              I might not be wrong to say that we have the IDP’s and the largest slums in Africa due to our way of living, when we visited Eldoret I remember asking Rachel and Ken that, “does it mean that the people in the IDP camps really don’t have relatives/clans or communities who can at least assist them with temporary settlement on their lands and homes by the time a solution is found… I think we need to think deeper about causes of our problems.

              My other experience after living and traveling extensively in Nigeria taught me a lot about the populous country in Africa, Nigeria has a population of almost 300 million, 250 tribes and are quit religious, they have Islam, Christdom and traditional religions.
              Nigerians have a very wealthy culture and tradition that I was really challenged, land is still a communal owned property, and it’s in Nigeria where you will prove the saying that a child is brought up by the community. I once remember Pam asking Chief Adejumo the Chairman of Oke-Ogun Community Development Network the organization that I was placed as a VSO Volunteer then,” how many people leave in his house" Chief counted up to ten and was still trying to remember names of others though none was his sons or daughters, his wife would make a meal for all these people and that was not a problem.

              Nigerians still have the Kingdoms and Chiefdoms in every community that are quit respected and are transforming to modern trends of leadership, these institutions are not tribal though the majority enjoys some authority that any tribe living in a community is represented in the leadership and development activities of the community, they are well structured that they have council of Chiefs from different tribes that head different development sectors at community level such as Agriculture, Education, Security, general community development and so on, these structures are autonomous from government influence, they plan and run community economic summits and budgets, all organizations or groups intending to work in the community have to involve these institutions. They are structured that they have association in every town where their indigenes are, even the Diaspora, they all have planned meetings and activities and once a year they have community economic summits that involves representatives from all the tribes and associations even abroad with travel expenses paid for by the associations, in these summits last year’s budgets are shared and next years compiled by an elected community development committee, a fundraising procedure is also planned and a committee is committed to the planned activities. The interesting thing is, today most of the Kings and Chiefs are quit educated, they are professors and Doctors some who have lived out of Nigeria that they move back home with a broad experience of building Nigerian communities that compete globally.

              When visiting a King or Chief men prostrates (lies down flat on their belly) and ladies go down on their Knees, when the counry's president or other government officials go back to their communities they prostrate to the King as well and have to consult and involve the Chief's for any activity they want to understake in the community, thus respect to a community owned institutions and initiatives. Young people don’t shake hands with older ones they always bend and greetings are really extensive and valued.

              Like what Sam said we still have the traditional institutions though not as structured as in Nigeria and India but I am sure if we really want to succeed in this mission we need to identify and work with these local champions, they have structures that have been established out of their deepest values, there is no community that will exist peacefully without the respect of elders, I will quote what Rono told me, he said “ the youths are no longer listening to the elders” my question is why?

              I once listened to a preacher say that its God’s blessings to have men live long until they grow grey hair, why?  He said, “We can’t afford not to recognize the elders because its God’s sustainability plan for the human nature as they act as our check, advisors, mentors and guiders or volunteer life consultants”

              What can we pick from these societies that seems to have worked well?

              PEACE

              David Mutua

              I have been going through mails to get the on going information and steadily do the necessary as a leader of mendenyo@yahoogroup s.com discussion group, I believe a lasting peace is vital for Kenya but not in haste and spending which will not give the seriousness of the agenda ahead of us. I remember simple clauses for peace from tribes can be learned from history not physical attraction for situations which are prevailing here our country-Kenya.