Re: [voiceful] National Youth Stewardship Council/press release

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2008
      Rachel said
      ~~~~~~~~~
       Since the we have a coalition government i personaly feel that we do not have
      strong opposition and it is us the civil society to ensure that
      government is carrying out its duties.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~

      I agree strongly. It seems from news reports that neither the president nor the prime minister really wanted to share power, each wanted to be president.

      As president would either of them really have wanted to share the benefits of presidential power with all the Kenyan people- especially the poor, the youths, the unemployed and the landless?

      Would either of them even have really wanted to share the benefits of presidential power with all the Kenyan's who voted for them - especially the poor, the youths, the unemployed and the landless?

      It seems to me that for the president and PM the power sharing agreement is a second best as far as they are concerned. For Kenya the question is will they simply share power with each other - or will they share the benefits of their  power with all the Kenyan people- especially the poor, the youths, the unemployed and the landless?

      The people have to ensure that the leaders recognise that they are "on probation" - that this period of power sharing is like an extended interview. The politicians should be aware that next time around peopel will vote for whoever has proved himself (or herself) to have the Interests of Kenya most at heart.

      Rachel aslo mentioned the National Youth Stewardship Council
      Regarding the youth forum obviously people who are at the grassroots who are are suffering from the problems have a special level of expertise about the problems, because of their first hand experience. They also have a strong vested interest in finding realistic long term solutions - they are not looking for short term gimmicks and soundbites and photo-opportunities .Do we have anyone with the kind of knowledge and experience to help peopel analyse their problems and come up with realistic strategies for solving them?

      In the short term PoP was working for a peace which was the cessation of violence.  Now  PoP  is re-forming ready for its next challenge which is about a more positive, long term, firmly based kind of peace. The enemy now is things like poverty and unemployment.
      • What do we know about ways of tackling poverty?
      • How can we learn more and share what we know?
      • Who can we get to engage with us in this fight against poverty?
      • Who really wants to engage in this fight and win it?
      • What kind of help do we want from them?
      • How can we engage with corporations, or government agencies, or whoever, who have the resources to help us?
      • Do we just need them to help us - or are we also offering to help them?
      • Why would they want to help us? (Note I am not asking why they should want to help us. I am asking why they would want to help us
      • Would Safricom or Mamamikes want to work with us because we offer them a good opportunity for advertising their products? (They could even get credit for what was achieved with their  services during the turmoil)
      • Do they want the full story to share with people (They could pay us to go through our archives and give the true story of how important Safricom and Mamamikes were - even if the companies did not realise it at the time)
      • Who else could benefit from our fantastic collection of information if it was collected up and presented in appropriate ways?
      • Could Safaricom or Mamamikes or anyone use the help of our networks on the ground in exploring and building new markets, or researching new products and services?
      • Is there a role for Safari com, or yahoo, or any other company is creating affordable minimalist PoP centres?
      • Could we work with them to try to develop a really basic PoP centre starting kit, and then work with them on the research and development of initiatives that would make such centres sustainable?
      • Could we help them by increasing brand loyalty?
      • If they work with PoP for their corporate social responsibility programmes would it be good for their company image  (because if they are helping our PoP initiatives they look like 'the kind of company that people would prefer to do business with")?
      • We know we have something of value to offer - but exactly what is it and how do we package it up so that others see the value?
      • Are there any policies that some government department would like to implement regarding youth, or poverty , or unemployment but they need to find people to run pilot studies first?
      • What is the added value to any organisation of working with PoP and/or Minciu Sodas?
      • Will we insist that they understand us completely and do everything our way?
      • Will we try to understand them and see why they do things their way?
      • Is there any common ground for collaboration?
      There are many more questions that might be worth exploring. We do not need to look at answers too quickly - and we do not need to agree on the answers too early on either. We need to explore the questions, and then it is good to have various possible answers that raise more questions. It is said that if you get the questions right then you are half way to finding a good answer. Let us play around with questions for a while to help us discover what we know and what we don't know and to recognise the issues we really need to explore.

      Pam

      On 04/03/2008, Rachel Wambui <rachel.kungu@...> wrote:

      Dear Janet, Andrius, Ken O, Edwin, David, Tonny, Chelimo and all,

      with the debate which has been going on for the council, i would like
      to bring another idea of having a council parallel to the government
      youth council, the idea behind it is to act as an opposition so that
      it can keep the government on toes in implementing the youth issues in
      Kenya.

      As i had mentioned before about the POP and why it is particularly
      interesting for me to be part of it is that i look at POP as a network
      of youth which will form strong institution for the youth from the
      grassroot level in order to address the youth issues in Kenya and be
      an example to the world. It will be a bottom up approach of youth
      issues rather than the obvious top bottom approach to youth issues
      which is the case in most cases.

      I strongly believe that when a community owns an idea it is easier for
      the idea to be implemented within the same community rather than when
      the idea is imposed to the community. We can only achieve this through
      each and everyone&#347; effort in making the Kenya we want as youths and
      independent thinkers, also if organisations are willing to join and
      have the same goals it is an added advantage, with VYP being the first
      to commit its initiatives to better touch base with grassroot through
      a peace caravan. the networks, organisations, groups form will be part
      of the POP as they will be part of VYP.

      I would like to note that POP was commended today by having a youth
      statement and the Ministry of Youth didnt have any statement of what
      was happening in Kenya. They sat back and waited for the UN Habitants
      for example to have a statement for the youth in Kenya, where was the
      Ministry of Youth. it is from the comment when i thought of a National
      Youth Stewardship Council, or a word relevant to the same idea is welcome.

      At this point , i would like to introduce Gideon Gachara, who is in
      Kikuyu a strong hold of the vigilante group to join the network and
      share his contribution.

      I had also introduced Mercy Muniu on the IT and i will also request
      her to join the group.

      I will also introduce Felix Cheruiyot from Kuresoi and has also
      participated in Koffi Annan meetings

      Looking forward to hearing your comments on the above. Since the we
      have a coalition government i personaly feel that we do not have
      strong opposition and it is us the civil society to ensure that
      government is carrying out its duties.

      Rachel
      Director Voluntary Youth Philanthropists
      www.peace-caravan.org