RE: [learningfromeachother] Re: [nafsiafrikasaana] Kofi Annan: Negligence of Corporations, Tribes, States

  • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
      I am indirectly a part of the Aga Khan Foundation. If you need info let me know.

      Asif

      "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Kennedy,

        Thank you for replying about this idea of invoicing the corporations for
        our work as peacemakers. I will share more thoughts.

        There are many people who need money and I think that different needs
        should be met by different sources.

        For example, there are hundreds of thousands of victims who need help.
        I think the state of Kenya should provide for them and ask for help from
        other countries and international organizations.

        There is also money needed for peace projects. I think that local
        businesses, national businesses and international organizations can
        provide funds for local activists and also for outside experts, too. I
        myself would take such money but I'm not interested to fight over it.
        This whole NGO system is I think flawed at heart. It's not centered on
        encouraging individual action, whether inside or outside the NGO, or
        even sharable action. So that's why in the last ten years Minciu Sodas
        has had only second hand access to such resources, if any. And it's
        unfortunate but understandable that the people who do well in that
        system are not likely to take action when it's needed. But I accept
        that. I don't believe that the change I want to see in the world will
        be accomplished by the world "outsourcing" its responsiblity to
        organizations rather than free people. The organizations don't know
        what to do with a person who has no master but God. I'm not interested
        to dedicate myself to that game.

        I think there should be money for the work that we already did as
        peacemakers these last two months. Who should pay for it? I think it's
        the ones who should have taken responsibility, but didn't. Why did the
        world have to depend on us who are marginalized? Our money came from
        people taking out loans, from giving away their pensions or their
        savings or their bonuses. Our work was done by people who are
        unemployed or working after hours. Consider that our society has
        provided global corporations with the optimal conditions for amassing
        the best leadership, people, money, networks and applying them.
        Shouldn't they have been the ones to do what we did? Why didn't they
        assign their best leaders to organize peacemakers? Why didn't they pay
        their workers overtime to do such work? Why didn't they bring in their
        partners? Why didn't they take responsibility? Why didn't they invest in
        peace? Why wasn't it their priority? Why did they let us accomplish so much?

        Clearly, the "leaders" who our society revolves around were negligent in
        their responsibility. They did not act as we did to avert genocide.
        They should therefore pay us for the work that we did in their place,
        and pay us at corporate rates, as if we had worked for them. Or they
        should relinquish their privileges, including the resources they have
        accumulated, but not applied.

        I think this is more than fair. If we could get one company to honor
        our logic, then that might be precedent for all the others. I think it
        would be better for the companies, too. It's absurd to pretend that
        "corporate social responsibility" is when a company shares its its
        virtues with the world. No, "corporate social responsibility" is when
        a company pays for its mistakes, and reforms its ways. They made a big
        mistake in not helping out when they could have, and they can do right
        by paying us and others for work done. I will draw up an invoice for
        750,000 USD and I would ten global businesses active in Kenya to each
        pay one tenth. I will start by looking at friendly companies, such as
        Yahoo, where we have contacts, and see if they might agree, that this is
        the most meaningful way to support our work, which is to pay for what we
        have done, rather than what we might do.

        Note furthermore that some of these companies directly benefited from
        our work, especially from freeing the roads so that millions of dollars
        of goods could move, and thousands of people, which means that gasoline
        was available and used, food did not have to rot, stores could be
        restocked, and so on.

        I should focus on the companies who we'd like to have as partners. But
        we can also play tough. For example, we can tell an oil company that we
        would love to work with them, but if they won't respond, then we will
        single them out. We will organize a boycott in Kenya and around the
        world. Our Pyramid of Peace might be quite effective. When they agree
        to pay us, then we could organize a campaign to promote their products
        and services. We should probably focus on the companies we like. What
        companies would we like to work with?

        I end my letter with a link that I came across about the Kenya oil
        business. "Alexander's Gas and Oil Connections" has an editorial on
        February 15, 2008 suggesting that the oil industry may be complicit in
        the assassinations because it would prefer that Kenya's government not
        have the integrity to win fair deals.
        http://www.gasandoil.com/editor/welcome.html I see no grounds for such
        thinking, but it's an example of how the corporate world should be
        checked regarding its actions and inactions.

        We're very fortunate that some of our losses or "investments" are
        balanced by unexpected gains and surprises. This is God's keeping
        separate the left hand and the right hand. Yet there is also love in
        what I suggest above. We are allowing businesses to share in our
        victories and to be fair and provide the pay that would make our work
        logical on earth and not only heaven. I hope that we have shown that
        the more we have, the more we can give.

        I am sorry for the victims of the Kenyan troubles and I apologize that
        my logic does not address their needs, which are much greater than ours
        as peacemakers. I am therefore trying to distinguish between the many
        resources and not compete for them.

        +370 699 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania

      • Benoit Couture
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          Andrius, you wrote:

          I should focus on the companies who we'd like to have as partners.

          Agreed perfectly!  As an example, Minciu Sodas could work at establishing a solid connectivity between Cyfranogy's team, PoP and the people that I recommended in this link

          and then you go on with:

          But we can also play tough. For example, we can tell an oil company that we
          would love to work with them, but if they won't respond, then we will
          single them out. We will organize a boycott in Kenya and around the
          world. Our Pyramid of Peace might be quite effective.

          God does not need that kind of mob mentality.  One does not go selling goods and services with a bat in his hands.
          We ought to work on a strategy to generate a natural point of gravity for all interested parties.  You would like to collect 750,000 USD.
          Where money exchange is involved, commerce is happening.
          One cannot speak of monetary payment without comercialism being the means of services delivery's governance, which we are developing.
          Now we need to activate the commercialisation stage of the produces, which the ground leaders are growing.
          So, we need to see that the PoP is at the stage of development that we are currently producing in Kenya, and which gives us the core of the gravity needed.  Let us concentrate on the quality of our work, first and last.
          The people I speak of in the link that I gave above as well, they are experts at the natural development of commercialisation.  We are certainly at a BETA stage of development, which is the language of partnership for the connectivity between PoP, Cyfranogy and.
          One great source of guidance for such service as the PoP, and to which you are already connected, is the Catholic authorities that you wrote about in letters.  They certainly have a lot of expertise to raise funds for good causes.

          A big question that the commercial system is faced with and that God is answering in our midst at Minciu and with the PoP is:  How do we join private business ownership and volunterrism in a structure that is fair for all involved?

          You ended with:
          I am sorry for the victims of the Kenyan troubles and I apologize that
          my logic does not address their needs, which are much greater than ours
          as peacemakers. I am therefore trying to distinguish between the many
          resources and not compete for them.

          That is what I mean by "natural point of gravity".  In the movie "What the bleed do we know" there is one lady who speaks of the "ultimate observer".
          I came to understand that as being when and where God and humans create the happening of life, in communion together.  And that is the essence and governance of PoP!

          So PoP is a major happening in all of our lives.  Let us insure that the joy of its celebration does not get polluted with haste and a confrontation future.  Doing so, would make of independent thinkers, isolated thinkers, when in fact, the truth is the opposite, for there is only one view for the ultimate observer to absorb all views into the completion of one another!  Being an independent thinker in God and with God, is where liberty of being and of creating can be experienced to its maximum, and this is where communion keeps us from isolation.  Minciu Sodas is indeed for independent thinkers who are growing, assembling and moving in communion, not in isolation.

          "The gfreatest among you, shall be the servat of the others."

          Keep up the good service Andrius,
          Benoit

[...]

          http://www.ms. lt
          ms@...
          +370 699 30003
          Vilnius, Lithuania

          Kennedy Owino wrote:
> [...]
          > resources and opportunities from several bioregions, so that
          > typically a
          > nation-state includes ports, waterways, agricultural land, natural
          > resources, wilderness and highlands.
          >
          > However, nation-states must allow us to work together as local
          > residents
          > and global citizens to manage our bioregions, large and small. These
          > are not simply local issues or national issues, but rather each of us
          > has the right to help as a steward of any bioregion wherever it
          > may be.
          > We must be allowed to organize inclusively all, near or far, who care
          > about a bioregion and organize related funds and manage relevant
          > resources.
          >
          > Please help us organize a human world that is does not assume that
          > nation-states are the framework for all solutions.

        • Peter Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
            Dear Colleagues

            There is a significant challenge ahead, and we all need to stay
            engaged to the best of our abilities. An enduring peace is not
            automatic. There is a lot of work that needs to be done.

            I am very impressed by the efforts of ordinary ... actually,
            extraordinary ... people who have helped to keep the recent crisis
            from getting completely out of hand. Yes ... there was too much
            killing, looting, and other anti-social behavior ... but compared to
            what there might have been ... the peacemaking / peacekeeping efforts
            were a huge success.

            Several times during the last two months there have been comments
            about the need for employment for youth. This is not the only thing
            that was a critical element, but I would certainly agree that it is an
            important one. And I believe that Dr. Muhammad Yunus and his work with
            the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh is a useful foundation for thinking
            about ways forward.

            Unlike most "top down" planners, Dr. Yunus sees people as an asset
            with potential ... and sees the economic (and political) system as the
            problem. His question is simply "What can be done so that a human
            being work hard and accomplish something useful."

            I have a similar version of the same thing ... that derives from my
            work with community development in Africa. "What can be done in the
            community to make the community better ... and how can people in the
            community do what needs to be done?".

            And a first follow up question "What is it that stops people in the
            community from doing this?"

            And a second "How can this stoppage be removed?'

            This is very similar to how I perceive Dr. Yunus to be working
            successfully in Bangladesh. Except he has developed over the past 30
            plus years a major microcredit institution to help with people level
            funding ... and now, increasinly bigger funding needed for bigger
            things.

            My goal with Tr-Ac-Net is to help with community level development by
            helping to get community level planning done better ... and then,
            hopefully to be able to attract support to help communities move
            forward with their plans. It is first step in my attempt to initiate a
            Grameen like program.

            Dr. Yunus has defined a social business as a vehicle for development
            support ... and like the Grameen microcredit programs ... this is not
            grant funding but loan funding. It is a business proposition and not a
            subsidy program. But it is a business proposition that ends up with
            social good in the community rather than maximized profit extracted
            from the community.

            I am not sure how clear this is ... but I wanted to make a start in
            trying to explain. Maybe the next step is to handle clarifying
            questions.

            Sincerely

            Peter
            Peter Burgess
            The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
            www.tr-ac-net.org
            IMMC - The Integrated Malaria Management Consortium Inc.
            www.IMMConsortium.org
            The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetagenda.blogspot.com
            917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...