Re: [learningfromeachother] Do-It-Yourself SMS Campaigns (designed for NGOs)/FYI in case we do this!

  • tom ochuka
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      The deaf uses msm in kenya more than the
      hearing..Janet can his org suply mobile phones to the
      deaf in kisu and Ahero.

      http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools

      > Over the last several years, it’s become clear
      > that mobile phones are
      > becoming one of the most influential devices in our
      > social, political, and
      > civic lives. Savvy nonprofit organizations and NGOs
      > are experimenting with
      > using mobile phones as persuasive devices to recruit
      > new supporters,
      > organize groups, and advocate for causes.
      >

      > Thus far, most of the successful mobile-phone
      > campaigns have relied on text
      > messaging as their persuasive technology of choice.
      > It’s the only mobile
      > phone technology that works reliably across the
      > majority of mobile phones in
      > most countries. In addition, most people in most
      > countries are familiar with
      > text messaging.
      >

      > Many organizations want to use text messaging in
      > their campaigns. However,
      > the barriers to setting up a texting campaign are
      > steep. The process seems
      > expensive, technical, and complex overall.
      >

      > Many organizations cannot afford to hire a provider
      > or there are none
      > available in the region where they operate. The
      > MobileActive guide describes
      > the second way – bootstrapping your way to a
      > texting campaign by using
      > Desktop SMS Campaign Tools on a tiny budget and with
      > a minimum of technical
      > expertise:

      http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools
      > . For
      > low-volume and grassroots campaigns, there are tools
      > available that allow
      > you to run your own campaigns on your computer.
      >

      > Check it out at

      http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools
      > and
      > let us know if you have other tools that you use!
      >

      > All the best,
      >

      > Katrin
      >

      > Katrin Verclas
      > Co-Founder and Editor
      > MobileActive.org
      > katrin@...
      > + 1 413 687 9877
      >

      > MobileActive.org: A global resource for people using
      > mobile phones for
      > social impact.

      > Dig Africa site welcomes you to join us at
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Digafrica on IT in
      > Africa
      >
      > Aids-Africa is a forum for communication and
      > information on AIDS related
      > issues in Africa and all are welcome to join us at
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/aids-africa
      >
      > Join us on hiv/aids forum on Kenya at
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenya-aids
      >
      > Join us at a Kenyan networking forum and NGOS at
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenyainternational
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        The deaf uses SMS in kenya more than the
        --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > let us know if you have other tools that you use!
        >

        > All the best,
        >

        > Katrin
        >

        > Katrin Verclas
        > Co-Founder and Editor
        > MobileActive.org
        > katrin@...
        > + 1 413 687 9877
        >

        > MobileActive.org: A global resource for people using
        > mobile phones for
        > social impact.

        > Dig Africa site welcomes you to join us at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Digafrica on IT in
        > Africa
        >
        > Aids-Africa is a forum for communication and
        > information on AIDS related
        > issues in Africa and all are welcome to join us at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/aids-africa
        >
        > Join us on hiv/aids forum on Kenya at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenya-aids
        >
        > Join us at a Kenyan networking forum and NGOS at

        Be a better friend, newshound, and