Kofi Annan: Negligence of Corporations, Tribes, States

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2008
      Rachel, David, Kennedy, Peter, Janet, Ronald, Cathy, Tom,
      Thank you all for very deep thinking at this juncture in history.

      There is a need for me to step back and allow our Kenyan participants to
      sort out, where do you want to go? Yet if Kofi Annan may hear us, then
      I don't want to be silent.

      Janet, I agree that we are entering a new phase of peacemaking. I
      expect our command structure will become secondary or irrelevant. The
      words Coordinator, Champion, Peacemaker are very appropriate. My own
      interest will be to understand what organizational structures we might
      think through that would encourage independent thinkers. At this point,
      I also want to add some thoughts from serving as Commander-in-Chief of
      the Pyramid of Peace.

      Summary of message for Kofi Annan

      Kofi Annan, you know that averting genocide is not a local issue, not a
      national issue, but an issue for all of humanity. Independent
      peacemakers are having to work within and support nation-state
      structures which for many of us are simply irrelevant. We want to
      organize a world that supports our rights:
      * to act as peacemakers and wield all of the authority we are able to
      * to belong to no tribe or any and all tribes
      * to be included in consensus for the matters where we live

      Please help us reform those institutions which have been negligent:
      * Corporations must pay independent peacemakers at corporate rates for
      taking action which they did not.
      * Tribes, clans, castes and cliques must all have leadership structures
      which make sure that they are inclusive of all people.
      * States must cede primacy to stewards of bioregions inclusive
      structures that

      Corporations must pay peacemakers for the work they did

      Kofi Annan, please acknowledge that independent peacemakers like you and
      all of us had to risk our lives, go without work, take out loans because
      of the negligence of corporations, tribes and states. Corporations have
      the resources and the leadership which they should have mobilized for
      peace, but instead they kept those resources idle, and left that task to
      independent peacemakers. Indeed, they benefited from the roads we
      risked our lives to open. They need to realize their negligence of
      civic duty. Please help us invoice them at corporate rates the work
      that peacemakers have done which they neglected to do. Surely your own
      work these last two months would be worth $2,000,000 if not $20,000,000
      at corporate executive rates if your work was linked to the rise in
      value of the Kenyan stock market. I wish to submit a bill for $750,000
      to give back to the participants of the Pyramid of Peace what they have
      given to us and all of Kenya. Please help us find corporations that
      would honor this bill so that we might have our Peace Dividend.

      25,000 USD - Pyramid of Peace donations
      25,000 USD - related donations
      100,000 USD - 10 x 2 x 5,000 USD - full time online peacemakers
      100,000 USD - 50 x 2 x 1,000 USD - part time online peacemakers
      100,000 USD - 50 x 2 x 1,000 USD - full time on-the-ground leaders
      200,000 USD - 200 x 2 x 500 USD - part time on-the-ground peacemakers
      200,000 USD - 1,000 x 2 x 100 USD - part time on-the-ground peacemakers

      750,000 USD = Total

      We must prohibit exclusive tribes, clans, castes, cliques

      Kofi Annan, several tribes in Kenya allowed their tribal affiliations to
      be used to advance genocide and ethnic cleansing. These tribes must be
      held accountable for their wrongdoings in the way that the Nazis were.
      More generally, we must achieve an understanding by all people that
      there must not be any exclusive tribes, clans, castes, cliques or any
      other cultural affiliations. No person may be discriminated for not
      belonging to a culture because all people have the right to be included
      in any culture. We are all free to choose our cultures.

      We must insist that every tribe, clan, caste, clique, that every culture
      have a leadership which can establish, annul, revive and reform the
      cultural traditions, can speak for the participants of the culture, and
      hold accountable those who claim to act on behalf of the culture.

      There may be national, political cultures but they must give primacy to
      tribal and other nonpolitical cultures. The nation-state must be held
      responsible for the education systems which have taken away from the
      tribal cultures those bright people who could provide much needed
      cultural leadership.

      We must be free to manage our bioregions

      Kenya and other nation-states have not addressed the underlying
      bioregional issues that fueled the current crisis.

      Historically, nation-states have been important constructs to allow
      people to defend themselves from oppressors and to make good use of
      resources and opportunities from several bioregions, so that typically a
      nation-state includes ports, waterways, agricultural land, natural
      resources, wilderness and highlands.

      However, nation-states must allow us to work together as local residents
      and global citizens to manage our bioregions, large and small. These
      are not simply local issues or national issues, but rather each of us
      has the right to help as a steward of any bioregion wherever it may be.
      We must be allowed to organize inclusively all, near or far, who care
      about a bioregion and organize related funds and manage relevant resources.

      Please help us organize a human world that is does not assume that
      nation-states are the framework for all solutions.

      Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Kennedy Owino
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Andrius,

        I would like to make some lines  of comment on Your idea below on "co-operations to Pay peace makers for the work they did"
        I shared it with some of my friends, saying that it's just a figment of my imagination.
        Some laughed it off and said it is ridiculous.This is not a crazy idea, at least not at any level.
        It carries more sense, while we were risking our lives, and stepping in to cool the flames, most Organisations (even those started with high objectives of addressing Peace issues) , just rested and discussed proposals from the comforts of their Board rooms.

        Peace makers who actively participated in the ground, opening up barricades, pacifying fighters and deeply praying for the restoration of peace, honestly deserve a reward, an award if not a pat on their backs.
        My idea is instead of imploring on Kenyan co-operations to directly reward the Peace makers, why not push them towards contributing to a created fund.
        Andrius's statement can be forwarded to Koffi Anan requesting him to initiate  a Koffi Annan foundation here in Kenya.
        The Foundation would basically operate as the other foundations we have in the country (e.g Agha Khan foundation, or Nation media foundation).

        Can we build more on this idea?

        Wishing you all the best,

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi africa Acrobats.

        Minciu Sodas
        http://www.ms. lt
        +370 699 30003
        Vilnius, Lithuania

      • asif.daya@trainerspod.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          I am indirectly a part of the Aga Khan Foundation. If you need info let me know.

          Asif

          "In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            Kennedy,

            Thank you for replying about this idea of invoicing the corporations for
            our work as peacemakers. I will share more thoughts.

            There are many people who need money and I think that different needs
            should be met by different sources.

            For example, there are hundreds of thousands of victims who need help.
            I think the state of Kenya should provide for them and ask for help from
            other countries and international organizations.

            There is also money needed for peace projects. I think that local
            businesses, national businesses and international organizations can
            provide funds for local activists and also for outside experts, too. I
            myself would take such money but I'm not interested to fight over it.
            This whole NGO system is I think flawed at heart. It's not centered on
            encouraging individual action, whether inside or outside the NGO, or
            even sharable action. So that's why in the last ten years Minciu Sodas
            has had only second hand access to such resources, if any. And it's
            unfortunate but understandable that the people who do well in that
            system are not likely to take action when it's needed. But I accept
            that. I don't believe that the change I want to see in the world will
            be accomplished by the world "outsourcing" its responsiblity to
            organizations rather than free people. The organizations don't know
            what to do with a person who has no master but God. I'm not interested
            to dedicate myself to that game.

            I think there should be money for the work that we already did as
            peacemakers these last two months. Who should pay for it? I think it's
            the ones who should have taken responsibility, but didn't. Why did the
            world have to depend on us who are marginalized? Our money came from
            people taking out loans, from giving away their pensions or their
            savings or their bonuses. Our work was done by people who are
            unemployed or working after hours. Consider that our society has
            provided global corporations with the optimal conditions for amassing
            the best leadership, people, money, networks and applying them.
            Shouldn't they have been the ones to do what we did? Why didn't they
            assign their best leaders to organize peacemakers? Why didn't they pay
            their workers overtime to do such work? Why didn't they bring in their
            partners? Why didn't they take responsibility? Why didn't they invest in
            peace? Why wasn't it their priority? Why did they let us accomplish so much?

            Clearly, the "leaders" who our society revolves around were negligent in
            their responsibility. They did not act as we did to avert genocide.
            They should therefore pay us for the work that we did in their place,
            and pay us at corporate rates, as if we had worked for them. Or they
            should relinquish their privileges, including the resources they have
            accumulated, but not applied.

            I think this is more than fair. If we could get one company to honor
            our logic, then that might be precedent for all the others. I think it
            would be better for the companies, too. It's absurd to pretend that
            "corporate social responsibility" is when a company shares its its
            virtues with the world. No, "corporate social responsibility" is when
            a company pays for its mistakes, and reforms its ways. They made a big
            mistake in not helping out when they could have, and they can do right
            by paying us and others for work done. I will draw up an invoice for
            750,000 USD and I would ten global businesses active in Kenya to each
            pay one tenth. I will start by looking at friendly companies, such as
            Yahoo, where we have contacts, and see if they might agree, that this is
            the most meaningful way to support our work, which is to pay for what we
            have done, rather than what we might do.

            Note furthermore that some of these companies directly benefited from
            our work, especially from freeing the roads so that millions of dollars
            of goods could move, and thousands of people, which means that gasoline
            was available and used, food did not have to rot, stores could be
            restocked, and so on.

            I should focus on the companies who we'd like to have as partners. But
            we can also play tough. For example, we can tell an oil company that we
            would love to work with them, but if they won't respond, then we will
            single them out. We will organize a boycott in Kenya and around the
            world. Our Pyramid of Peace might be quite effective. When they agree
            to pay us, then we could organize a campaign to promote their products
            and services. We should probably focus on the companies we like. What
            companies would we like to work with?

            I end my letter with a link that I came across about the Kenya oil
            business. "Alexander's Gas and Oil Connections" has an editorial on
            February 15, 2008 suggesting that the oil industry may be complicit in
            the assassinations because it would prefer that Kenya's government not
            have the integrity to win fair deals.
            http://www.gasandoil.com/editor/welcome.html I see no grounds for such
            thinking, but it's an example of how the corporate world should be
            checked regarding its actions and inactions.

            We're very fortunate that some of our losses or "investments" are
            balanced by unexpected gains and surprises. This is God's keeping
            separate the left hand and the right hand. Yet there is also love in
            what I suggest above. We are allowing businesses to share in our
            victories and to be fair and provide the pay that would make our work
            logical on earth and not only heaven. I hope that we have shown that
            the more we have, the more we can give.

            I am sorry for the victims of the Kenyan troubles and I apologize that
            my logic does not address their needs, which are much greater than ours
            as peacemakers. I am therefore trying to distinguish between the many
            resources and not compete for them.

            +370 699 30003
            Vilnius, Lithuania

          • Benoit Couture
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
              Andrius, you wrote:

              I should focus on the companies who we'd like to have as partners.

              Agreed perfectly!  As an example, Minciu Sodas could work at establishing a solid connectivity between Cyfranogy's team, PoP and the people that I recommended in this link

              and then you go on with:

              But we can also play tough. For example, we can tell an oil company that we
              would love to work with them, but if they won't respond, then we will
              single them out. We will organize a boycott in Kenya and around the
              world. Our Pyramid of Peace might be quite effective.

              God does not need that kind of mob mentality.  One does not go selling goods and services with a bat in his hands.
              We ought to work on a strategy to generate a natural point of gravity for all interested parties.  You would like to collect 750,000 USD.
              Where money exchange is involved, commerce is happening.
              One cannot speak of monetary payment without comercialism being the means of services delivery's governance, which we are developing.
              Now we need to activate the commercialisation stage of the produces, which the ground leaders are growing.
              So, we need to see that the PoP is at the stage of development that we are currently producing in Kenya, and which gives us the core of the gravity needed.  Let us concentrate on the quality of our work, first and last.
              The people I speak of in the link that I gave above as well, they are experts at the natural development of commercialisation.  We are certainly at a BETA stage of development, which is the language of partnership for the connectivity between PoP, Cyfranogy and.
              One great source of guidance for such service as the PoP, and to which you are already connected, is the Catholic authorities that you wrote about in letters.  They certainly have a lot of expertise to raise funds for good causes.

              A big question that the commercial system is faced with and that God is answering in our midst at Minciu and with the PoP is:  How do we join private business ownership and volunterrism in a structure that is fair for all involved?

              You ended with:
              I am sorry for the victims of the Kenyan troubles and I apologize that
              my logic does not address their needs, which are much greater than ours
              as peacemakers. I am therefore trying to distinguish between the many
              resources and not compete for them.

              That is what I mean by "natural point of gravity".  In the movie "What the bleed do we know" there is one lady who speaks of the "ultimate observer".
              I came to understand that as being when and where God and humans create the happening of life, in communion together.  And that is the essence and governance of PoP!

              So PoP is a major happening in all of our lives.  Let us insure that the joy of its celebration does not get polluted with haste and a confrontation future.  Doing so, would make of independent thinkers, isolated thinkers, when in fact, the truth is the opposite, for there is only one view for the ultimate observer to absorb all views into the completion of one another!  Being an independent thinker in God and with God, is where liberty of being and of creating can be experienced to its maximum, and this is where communion keeps us from isolation.  Minciu Sodas is indeed for independent thinkers who are growing, assembling and moving in communion, not in isolation.

              "The gfreatest among you, shall be the servat of the others."

              Keep up the good service Andrius,
              Benoit

[...]

              ms@...
              +370 699 30003
              Vilnius, Lithuania

              Kennedy Owino wrote:
> [...]
              > resources and opportunities from several bioregions, so that
              > typically a
              > nation-state includes ports, waterways, agricultural land, natural
              > resources, wilderness and highlands.
              >
              > However, nation-states must allow us to work together as local
              > residents
              > and global citizens to manage our bioregions, large and small. These
              > are not simply local issues or national issues, but rather each of us
              > has the right to help as a steward of any bioregion wherever it
              > may be.
              > We must be allowed to organize inclusively all, near or far, who care
              > about a bioregion and organize related funds and manage relevant
              > resources.
              >
              > Please help us organize a human world that is does not assume that
              > nation-states are the framework for all solutions.

            • Peter Burgess
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
                Dear Colleagues

                There is a significant challenge ahead, and we all need to stay
                engaged to the best of our abilities. An enduring peace is not
                automatic. There is a lot of work that needs to be done.

                I am very impressed by the efforts of ordinary ... actually,
                extraordinary ... people who have helped to keep the recent crisis
                from getting completely out of hand. Yes ... there was too much
                killing, looting, and other anti-social behavior ... but compared to
                what there might have been ... the peacemaking / peacekeeping efforts
                were a huge success.

                Several times during the last two months there have been comments
                about the need for employment for youth. This is not the only thing
                that was a critical element, but I would certainly agree that it is an
                important one. And I believe that Dr. Muhammad Yunus and his work with
                the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh is a useful foundation for thinking
                about ways forward.

                Unlike most "top down" planners, Dr. Yunus sees people as an asset
                with potential ... and sees the economic (and political) system as the
                problem. His question is simply "What can be done so that a human
                being work hard and accomplish something useful."

                I have a similar version of the same thing ... that derives from my
                work with community development in Africa. "What can be done in the
                community to make the community better ... and how can people in the
                community do what needs to be done?".

                And a first follow up question "What is it that stops people in the
                community from doing this?"

                And a second "How can this stoppage be removed?'

                This is very similar to how I perceive Dr. Yunus to be working
                successfully in Bangladesh. Except he has developed over the past 30
                plus years a major microcredit institution to help with people level
                funding ... and now, increasinly bigger funding needed for bigger
                things.

                My goal with Tr-Ac-Net is to help with community level development by
                helping to get community level planning done better ... and then,
                hopefully to be able to attract support to help communities move
                forward with their plans. It is first step in my attempt to initiate a
                Grameen like program.

                Dr. Yunus has defined a social business as a vehicle for development
                support ... and like the Grameen microcredit programs ... this is not
                grant funding but loan funding. It is a business proposition and not a
                subsidy program. But it is a business proposition that ends up with
                social good in the community rather than maximized profit extracted
                from the community.

                I am not sure how clear this is ... but I wanted to make a start in
                trying to explain. Maybe the next step is to handle clarifying
                questions.

                Sincerely

                Peter
                Peter Burgess
                The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
                www.tr-ac-net.org
                IMMC - The Integrated Malaria Management Consortium Inc.
                www.IMMConsortium.org
                The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetagenda.blogspot.com
                917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...