Re: [nafsiafrikasaana] Re: [holistichelping] Bioregions/ Governing Structures, Decision-Making Processes

  • Peter Burgess
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 29, 2008
      Dear Colleagues

      Thank you Janet ...

      I also like to remind my modern friends, especially Americans, who are
      always in a hurry ... that the American Constitution took 11 years to
      draft ... and a further 2 years to get enough people to vote for its
      ratification. It was not written with excessive haste.

      And of course, the British ... still don't have a written
      constitution. But, like the Somalis, they do have rule of law ...
      except in the case of the Somalis, it is the Somali clan law that is
      not written down. In Somaliland the unwritten clan law has been
      respected. In Somalia governed from Mogadishu gun law has taken over
      from the traditional clan law and we call it a failed state. My guess
      is that most members of Somali clans would be much happier and more at
      peace under their old clan laws.

      I don't know much about traditional law in Kenya ... but what I do
      know of traditional law in Africa is that it contains much wisdom. I
      am also quite respectful of the quality of British Law.

      However, I have no respect whatsoever for rule of law that has been
      corrupted in order to serve selfish greedy economic ends of the rich
      and powerful ... characteristics of rule of law that are now common in
      what is written in the law and the way law is practiced.

      Sincerely

      Peter Burgess
      Peter Burgess
      The Transparency and Accountability Network: Tr-Ac-Net in New York
      www.tr-ac-net.org
      IMMC - The Integrated Malaria Management Consortium Inc.
      www.IMMConsortium.org
      The Tr-Ac-Net blogs ... start at http://tracnetagenda.blogspot.com
      917 432 1191 or 212 772 6918 peterbnyc@...