Do-It-Yourself SMS Campaigns (designed for NGOs)/FYI in case we do this!

  • Janet Feldman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
      MobileActive releases the first-ever comparison of do-it-yourself SMS
      campaign tools, designed especially for NGOs. The Guide helps NGOs get
      started in setting up a SMS campaign and includes a comparison of different
      SMS campaign software:
      http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools

      Over the last several years, it’s become clear that mobile phones are
      becoming one of the most influential devices in our social, political, and
      civic lives. Savvy nonprofit organizations and NGOs are experimenting with
      using mobile phones as persuasive devices to recruit new supporters,
      organize groups, and advocate for causes.

      Thus far, most of the successful mobile-phone campaigns have relied on text
      messaging as their persuasive technology of choice. It’s the only mobile
      phone technology that works reliably across the majority of mobile phones in
      most countries. In addition, most people in most countries are familiar with
      text messaging.

      Many organizations want to use text messaging in their campaigns. However,
      the barriers to setting up a texting campaign are steep. The process seems
      expensive, technical, and complex overall.

      Many organizations cannot afford to hire a provider or there are none
      available in the region where they operate. The MobileActive guide describes
      the second way – bootstrapping your way to a texting campaign by using
      Desktop SMS Campaign Tools on a tiny budget and with a minimum of technical
      expertise: http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools . For
      low-volume and grassroots campaigns, there are tools available that allow
      you to run your own campaigns on your computer.

      Check it out at http://mobileactive.org/wiki/Desktop_SMS_Campaign_Tools and
      let us know if you have other tools that you use!

      All the best,

      Katrin

      Katrin Verclas
      Co-Founder and Editor
      MobileActive.org
      katrin@...
      + 1 413 687 9877

      MobileActive.org: A global resource for people using mobile phones for
      social impact.

      Dig Africa site welcomes you to join us at
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Digafrica on IT in Africa

      Aids-Africa is a forum for communication and information on AIDS related
      issues in Africa and all are welcome to join us at
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/aids-africa

      Join us on hiv/aids forum on Kenya at
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenya-aids

      Join us at a Kenyan networking forum and NGOS at
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenyainternational
      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        The deaf uses msm in kenya more than the
        hearing..Janet can his org suply mobile phones to the
        deaf in kisu and Ahero.
        --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > let us know if you have other tools that you use!
        >

        > All the best,
        >

        > Katrin
        >

        > Katrin Verclas
        > Co-Founder and Editor
        > MobileActive.org
        > katrin@...
        > + 1 413 687 9877
        >

        > MobileActive.org: A global resource for people using
        > mobile phones for
        > social impact.

        > Dig Africa site welcomes you to join us at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Digafrica on IT in
        > Africa
        >
        > Aids-Africa is a forum for communication and
        > information on AIDS related
        > issues in Africa and all are welcome to join us at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/aids-africa
        >
        > Join us on hiv/aids forum on Kenya at
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenya-aids
        >
        > Join us at a Kenyan networking forum and NGOS at

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • tom ochuka
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          The deaf uses SMS in kenya more than the
          --- Janet Feldman <kaippg@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > let us know if you have other tools that you use!
          >

          > All the best,
          >

          > Katrin
          >

          > Katrin Verclas
          > Co-Founder and Editor
          > MobileActive.org
          > katrin@...
          > + 1 413 687 9877
          >

          > MobileActive.org: A global resource for people using
          > mobile phones for
          > social impact.

          > Dig Africa site welcomes you to join us at
          > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Digafrica on IT in
          > Africa
          >
          > Aids-Africa is a forum for communication and
          > information on AIDS related
          > issues in Africa and all are welcome to join us at
          > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/aids-africa
          >
          > Join us on hiv/aids forum on Kenya at
          > http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/kenya-aids
          >
          > Join us at a Kenyan networking forum and NGOS at

          Be a better friend, newshound, and