Bioregions: Lake, Rift Valley, Nairobi

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2008
      I wrote a letter with an outline of a Constitution for Humanity which I
      include below. I envision a Command Structure for independent
      peacemakers to wield authority, a Congress for each Tribe to cultivate
      meaningful traditions, and Intertribal Councils for each location and
      bioregion to make sure that all are included fairly.

      I spoke with Dennis Kimambo about the bioregions. We considered the
      areas of conflict in Kenya. What bioregions do they fall in? There seem
      to be three that are relevant for us now:
      * Lake region, which is to say, the area around Lake Victoria, which
      includes Kisumu, Homa Bay, Mbita, Rusinga Island, but also parts of
      Uganda and Tanzania. Water from this region flows down the Nile into
      the Mediterranean Sea.
      * Rift Valley region, which includes Nakuru, Eldoret, and many of the
      areas with the worst fighting. The Rift Valley is part of a large
      feature, a tectonic divide that goes from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea
      and through Ethiopia to Tanzania and Mozambique.
      * Nairobi region, which is on the other side of the mountain from the
      Rift Valley. Water flows from here down to the Indian Ocean.

      These bioregions actually are very significant in the current turmoil.
      Each has its own dynamic.
      * The Rift Valley is the scene of some of the worst ethnic violence as
      various tribes are incited to drive people out and claim lands.
      * The Lake region is supporting Raila Odinga so that they get their fair
      share in Kenya.
      * The Nairobi region is a major metropolis with many slums and urban
      gangs because it is the hub for all the resources.
      * The Coastal region - such as the port of Mombasa - is notably quiet.

      These bioregions are I think relevant for us in a way that "Kenya"
      isn't. Of course, Nairobi/Kenya sets the laws and we will respect
      them. But given the choice, I don't see any need to organize the
      Pyramid of Peace in terms of Kenya. Indeed, by organizing in terms of
      the bioregions, we help to filter in those who care in real terms, and
      filter out those who must think in terms of the nation-state government
      and economy.

      I find it helpful for focusing on real problems such as land issues in
      the Rift Valley or malaria in the Lake region. Note that the Lake
      region is connected by the Nile with Italy. Storks fly back and forth
      between Lithuania and Egypt. These kinds of connections are much more
      real for me than a construct like "Europe" or "Africa". The Lake region
      and the Nairobi region don't have so much reason to be related except
      for the road that brings goods from the port of Mombasa. Which makes
      clear why the Rift Valley region affects them both. And also raises the
      question, Why does the Lake region have to send tax money to the Nairobi
      region? unless it is for joint projects such as roads? and Why is the
      Lake region so dependent on imports?

      We then see that the Pyramid of Peace is already active in three
      bioregions, and aside from sharing a Commander-of-Operations for this
      emergency, there isn't any need for any long term "nationwide"
      structure. The cause of the emergency is national, but I think the
      solution isn't. Mombasa seems to have solved the problem. We can help
      each bioregion solve the problem, too.

      I therefore envisage that we think separately in terms of these
      regions. My thought is that in March we organize an Intertribal Council
      for each region. Certainly, we will encourage bioregions to work
      together where they are interested. But we will also point out that in
      many cases they don't have to. Also, the question of participation in
      the structures organized by Minciu Sodas becomes separate from national
      structural issues. We can organize in this way around the world to
      include regions large and small. They can overlap and group themselves
      in many different ways.

      I encourage us to speak up about such an approach. If it makes sense,
      then I will work with our Commanders Dennis Kimambo, Rachel Wambui Kungu
      and Kennedy Owino to organize our Pyramid of Peace command structure
      accordingly. I will ask them to suggest peacemakers who can lead each
      region, and we will rotate them. We will also train them if they are
      interested to be Commanders. Please let us know if you would like to be
      trained as a Commander. I don't think a Commander should be shy, but
      should nominate themselves, just like the boy David who took on Goliath.

      Each Intertribal Council will let us and donors know the priorities in
      the area, organize participation in community projects, help us check to
      make sure the lead peacemaker is acting fairly, manage the treasury and
      release funds for our operations, and work with a group of international
      supporters.

      I also envisage an Intertribal Council for the Earth. This would
      certainly be the place to organize consensus regarding global warming.
      Janet Feldman and Franz Nahrada, I think you would be both good
      organizers for such an Intertribal Council. Of course, it would be
      quite a challenge to find twelve people who might reflect the diversity
      of the people of the world.

      I envisage this as a Minciu Sodas activity. I will be very active to
      shape the structure of such Intertribal Councils that I propose. I want
      an Intertribal Council to be a voice expressing a consensus of all
      people AS THEY ARE, and the Congress of a Tribe to express the
      expectation of what people SHOULD be, and the Command Structure to
      demonstrate how virtuous people CAN be. I am taking initiative so that
      these three modalities can be vibrant and in harmony. I also think that
      participants should be active and accountable as independent thinkers.
      Minciu Sodas is a context for that.

      I suggest that each Intertribal Council have twelve people. My thinking
      is that twelve is a number large enough to reflect diversity, but small
      enough to achieve consensus. One mechanism to achieve diversity would
      be to have a system as follows. The members would serve for twelve
      months, but staggered. Each month one member's term would end and they
      would propose three candidates who might best add to the diversity of
      the council. The council would by consensus choose one of them.

      I have proposed many ideas in a short time. I appreciate our thoughts
      on the whole or any part.

      Peace,

      Pyramid of Peace
      http://www.pyramidofpeace.net
      +370 699 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Dennis Kimambo, Rachel Wambui Kungu, Kennedy Owino are very supportive
      and so I am emboldened to pursue this and to expand my thoughts with
      your help, advice, critique and proposals.

      I am drafting a Constitution for Humanity that I will propose for the
      mid-March meeting of Pyramid of Peace that we will organize. Here is my
      current thinking. There are the kinds of structures:
      * Command Structure: a command structure (ours is the Pyramid of Peace)
      by which peacemakers wield as much authority as possible as individuals.
      They act to prevent genocide and terracide. There will be leaders
      reponsible for the peace and security of various tribes and locations.
      * Tribal Congresses: each tribe will be led by a Congress of thirty or
      so independent thinkers who are the voice for the tribe, who can
      establish, revoke, revive the tribe's traditions, who can annul oaths
      and establish counteroaths (which is important for helping people to
      leave militias), who can hold tribal militias accountable, who can speak
      on the tribe's behalf, and who can represent the tribe in any agreements
      with powers, governmental or otherwise. Tribal decisions will be made by
      majority rule so that difficult decisions (such as ending the practice
      of female circumcision) can yet be made that hold for everybody. Each
      Congress member will be responsible for the relationships with the
      traditional tribal structures in one or more villages.
      * Intertribal Councils: each location will have a council of twelve or
      so citizens who represent the full diversity of the area in terms of
      ways of life, including tribes, locations, gender, age, occupation.
      Typically they may be leaders of associations. The council works by
      consensus so that all are included and there is no unfairness in the
      sharing of resources. The council also reports on the local leader of
      the Pyramid of Peace command structure to help make sure the local
      leader does not show any favoritism to one group or another. The
      Intertribal Council maintains the treasury (including for the Pyramid of
      Peace), raises money and issues any local currency, and organizes
      economic activity and economic projects so they are fair. There will be
      many local councils, but there will also be councils that cover larger
      bioregions. Those who participate in the larger areas must also be
      active in their local areas. The councils may also have supporters
      around the world who help, for example, raise money.
      * Minciu Sodas is led by Andrius Kulikauskas to serve and organize
      independent thinkers. Minciu Sodas provides an environment where every
      independent thinker can openly grow and make evident their ability to
      work independently. Minciu Sodas structures the relationships between
      the Pyramid of Peace, Tribal Congresses and Intertribal Councils so that
      they allow every person to contribute fully as an independent thinker.
      Every individual, tribe, group is free at any time to participate or
      not. They may choose to establish their own structures outside of Minciu
      Sodas.

      There will be various checks and balances. For example, leaders of the
      command structure will not be able to be members of the tribal
      congresses of the intertribal councils.

      [...]

      One role that I think you [David Mutua] might like is as the Convener of the
      Intertribal Council for a larger region. Dennis and Rachel agree that
      you be such a leader. I was originally thinking that this could be a
      council for Kenya, but now I realize this is a mistake and so I correct
      myself. I think that we have the opportunity to organize ourselves
      around larger and smaller bioregions, which is to say, according to
      nature rather than nation-states. (God created Nature but God is also
      keen on History so I may be wrong, but I think we gain much by
      acknowledging Nature here.) The boundaries do not need to be very exact.
      But the water system of rivers and lakes is a good guide as to who
      should work together so that all interests are included. Here are some
      bioregions that cover Kenya, according to the World Wildlife Fund:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freshwater_ecoregions_in_Africa_and_Madagascar
      * Shebele-Juba Catchments (Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia)
      * Lake Turkana (Ethiopia, Kenya)
      * Lakes Kivu, Edward, George, and Victoria (Burundi, Democratic Republic
      of the Congo, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda)
      * Southern Eastern Rift (Kenya, Tanzania)
      * Kenyan Coastal Rivers (Kenya)
      * Pangani (Kenya, Tanzania)
      So we would have an Intertribal Council for each region that is
      relevant. I ask our Kenyan leaders to advise how you might approach
      this. This would keep us out of national structures and national
      politics and national allegiances.

      [...]

      Commander-in-Chief