The physically and mentaly challenged

  • Kennedy Owino
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
      I just saw some news relayed over the Television Today touching on the plight of the mentally and physically handicapped.
      They were commemorating and laying wreaths today in remembrance to their fellows who lost their lives in the ensuing rife.

      Some of their testimonies were chilling and dismaying,the marks, wounds, and scars on some of those who survived reveal their sad experiences.
      During the violence most of them were caught in the milee, and were unable to escape or run away, they were burnt in raging infernos, slashed, stoned, trampled on, crushed, or shot with arrows and bullets to death.
      Some lived to tell their sad stories, many mentally and physically children have been orphaned, others can't trace their parents.
      Their parents may have wanted to escape with them but could not carry them along, leaving them behind to the wrath of the detractors.
      I am wondering some of the intervention measures, and help we can direct to the physically and mentally challenged in the IDPs camps.
      Any ideas?

      Peace,

      Ken Owino.

    • Janet Feldman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
        Dear Ken and All,

        It's very important that you mention this, which is the subject of a grant proposal I have seen recently. Tom Ochuka is a vital source of news and views regarding those with the physical dis/ability of being deaf.

        One of the saddest consequences of the violence is that so many "vulnerable" populations suffered--women, children and youth, people with dis/abilities, people with HIV/AIDS, those already in dire poverty--and this is one thing which must be addressed and rectified, not only in the short term, but over the long run.

        A society which does not work towards and enshrine into law the protection and development of all people, including those often overlooked and/or disenfranchised in some way, will continue to encounter severe challenges and destabilization tendencies. This is something a new constitution and a new way of being and interacting in Kenya should address.

        As to what we can do, Rachel has given us info on how to contact someone with UNHCR, and we might run this by him, at least for people in camps. For others, we can do what we can among us to raise awareness and make special outreach efforts, and we can also contact orgs which might help, such as Handicap International (with offices in several locations in Kenya, I believe) and WiRED International (health centers with special focus on certain populations, such as those with dis/abilities...there are a number of such centers in Kenya).

        Let's definitely put some energy into this, including a focus on arts, I hope!  Thanks again, Ken, for your caring and compassion, and keep shining your own considerable "love light"!

        Love and blessings, Janet

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24, 2008
          Dear Janet, Ken and All,

          As the stay-at-home-dad of one who is handicapped, both physically and mentaly, I was wondering when it would be suitable to offer links of such universal importance of development.
          So in parallel with this conversation between Ken's posting and Janet's reply, I feel that this is as good of an opportunity as any, to offer links toward the project of writing a constitution that can protect human rights and freedoms.

          The Canadian Constitution has been evolving since 1774, working to eliminate the colonisation based upon "legal slavery systems of exploition", during which all the most vulnurable citizens have been forever powerless:

          So here is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is the latest instalment in this long term evolution of who we are becoming:

          In order to decide if this is relvant to the simmering project of writing up a Constitution, here's a bit of history behind it, taken from

          The development of human rights protection in Canada:
          • The human rights movement gained momentum at the end of World War II. There was a real need to prevent the horrific acts that took place during the war from recurring. This led to the creation of the United Nations in 1945.
          • In 1948, the general assembly of the United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights ("the UDHR"). A Canadian by the name of John Peters Humphrey was one of the drafters of the UDHR. The UDHR has remained the single most cited international human rights instrument.
          • Canada's commitment to the protection of human rights in the domestic context was first brought to the forefront in 1960, with the Canadian Bill of Rights, a federal law protecting human rights.
          • In 1982, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms was proclaimed in force. It was added to the Canadian constitution as schedule B, part I of the Constitution Act, 1982.
          • The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms continues to reflect the principles of liberty, equality, accommodation of a wide variety of beliefs, respect for cultural and group identity, and human dignity that define us as Canadians.
          The influence of the Charter in other countries:
          • The Charter has been used as a source of guidance by other countries when drafting their own bills of rights. For example, the wording and structure of the New Zealand Bill of Rights Act, 1990 was strongly influenced by the Charter.
          • Charter decisions are frequently used by the courts of other countries when interpreting human rights guarantees in their bills of rights. For example, the South African constitutional court has used Charter decisions in interpreting the right to equality, right to life, right to trial within a reasonable time, freedom of religion, and freedom of expression. The courts of other countries including New Zealand, Ireland, Sri Lanka, Uganda, the United Kingdom, and Zimbabwe have also used Charter decisions from Canadian courts.
          Benoit

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 26, 2008
            Dear Janet with all,
            Ken...thisisagodidea that speaksmoreof
            inclusivity...some ofthoseweapproachedat the
            Elearning..howcan weamke apagefor thisgroupof
            people..wehave Joseph(D) deaf and philip(c)on
            cratces,Magie(w)wheel using
            wheelchair,Imboko(b)blind..this willmakethesepeople
            statusimproved the deaf are good in computers..andso
            are others..howcan weamkethemagroup aworking group.
            Where their rights can be approached..dowe have
            orgswith similar goals Janet.
            Thanks
            TOM

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?