Newsletter 40 from Cawdnet : Notes from Pamela McLean

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
      Andrius - and everyone.

      The newsletter that I've copied below gives more information about our
      activities. It's very sketchy because I don't have anyone to write it at
      present - but I needed to put something out to let people know we are
      still active - and in need of help ;-) I wrote it after I came home.
      To subscribe to the Newsletter please go to
      http://lists.cawdnet.kabissa.org/mailman/listinfo/cawdnet-news
      (The introductory information is a little out of date there - updating
      various bits of information that we have on the Internet is another of
      those jobs crying out to be done.)

      Anyhow - the newsletter itself is well up to date:

      ####################

      Newsletter 40 from Cawdnet : Notes from Pamela McLean

      Introduction - and invitation to potential guest editors.

      Welcome to the latest update from Cawdnet - working in
      Nigeria and the UK to make the most of digital technology.
      The format this time is rather different - no full
      stories, just a series of notes so you get a flavour of
      our current and recent activities. Jon is not able to
      return to Cawdnet yet to continue editing our Newsletter -
      so I am looking hopefully for some guest editors to fill
      the gap. If anyone would like to try their hand at an
      issue or two of our Newsletter (maybe more) please let me
      (pam@...), or Lorraine Duff, lorraine@...) know.
      We'll provide the information for the editor to knock into
      shape.

      Content - some of the stories waiting to be covered:
      1. Teachers Talking
      2. Cawdnet Campus
      3. Barefoot Power
      4. Health Workers Special Interest Group
      5. Peoples University
      6. Global Learn Day
      7. Meet Andrius Kulikauskas
      8. IICD Trainers Workshop
      9. Ago-Are InfoCentre
      10. News from Victoria Adetona in Okeho
      11. Iseyin
      12. David Mutua
      13. Ibadan University
      14. Football Tournament
      15. Summary

      ##########

      1. Teachers Talking (TT)
      Progress in various directions. Interest from trainers
      elsewhere, in Nigeria and other African countries.
      On 6th July 2006 there was a joint Cawdnet - Trainerspod
      Elluminate Webinar about Teachers Talking.
      On 10th October 2006 there was a joint ICT4Development
      presentation with Tim Neumann of London Institute of
      Education to London University Knowledge Lab.
      New collaboration with DIFN (Development Impact For
      Nigeria) in Lagos, where Bode Omokaro is in discussion
      with ten local schools about presenting TT. Given the lack
      of computers at his training centre he plans to start with
      the 'No-Computer Computer Course' (NC3). If anyone can
      help with the provision of one or more laptops for the
      training then Bode would also include the 'Hands-on
      Computers' practical sessions.

      ##########

      2. Cawdnet Campus
      This is our new "virtual campus" on the Internet. There
      is much going on behind the scenes. Expect to see
      evidence there of activity from various Special Interest
      Groups (SIGs)as time goes by.

      ##########

      3. Barefoot Power
      This is a domestic solar project involving collaboration
      with Stewart Craine of Barefoot Power and Fantsuam Foundation.

      ##########

      4. Health Workers Special Interest Group
      A warm welcome to Professor Dick Heller who is leading
      this new group at Cawdnet Campus

      ##########

      5. People's University
      This is an online discussion group with innovative ideas
      about distance education. The present focus is on health
      - the discussions opened on Monday 31st October 2006.

      ##########

      6. Global Learn Day 10
      This is an annual event, this year (8th October) there was
      input from Cawdnet - http://bfranklin.edu/gld/

      ##########

      7. Meet Andrius Kulikauskas
      Andrius and Pam met earlier this year. His network Minciu
      Sodas laboratory http://www.ms.lt/ and Cawdnet are coming
      together through a yahoo group called "Learning From Each
      Other".

      ##########

      8. IICD Trainers Workshop
      In July (18th - 22nd) 2006 Pam attended this workshop in
      Zambia in her role as a trainer for Fantsuam Foundation.

      ##########

      9. Ago-Are InfoCentre
      Lots to update people about, including the COL/IITA/OCDN
      project - and the launch of schools and teachers online clubs.

      ##########

      10. News from Victoria Adetona in Okeho
      Cawdnet helped Victoria's micro-credit organisation Rural
      People Development Initiative (previously known as RUSEL)
      to get a laptop from the World Bank - which also helped
      youth in Okeho to get computer training.
      Victoria also recently became vice president of the Okeho
      chapter of the Nigerian NCWS - National Council of Women's
      Societies - a women's empowerment group.

      ##########

      11. Iseyin
      Presentation of two CD-ROMS marks the start of what we
      hope will become the Iseyin digital-library/book-printing
      project - but a better printer will be needed if this is
      to become a reality.

      ##########

      12. David Mutua
      Update from David Mutua in Kenya

      ##########

      13. Ibadan University
      New links between Ibadan University Department of Distance
      Learning and the Ago-Are InfoCentre.

      ##########

      14. Football Tournament
      Presentation of trophies and team vests in Ago-Are, Iseyin
      and Okeho.

      ##########

      15. Summary
      The Newsletter is in need of guest editors - anyone
      interested in exploring what would be involved please
      contact pam@... or lorraine@.... Meanwhile this
      edition gives some key points of what is going on.

      ##########

      This newsletter is being sent to you because according to
      our records you have expressed an interest in our work and
      consented to receive these emails.

      CAWD is a UK Registered Charity (number 1104228).

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
        Andrius said to me: I'm just wondering if you might write about your
        direction, what you care about, what's on your mind.

        I need that invitation. I need to gather my thoughts. As usual when I
        come home from Nigeria I feel a bit disorientated.- it is a kind of
        reverse culture shock.. I think I adapt more quickly to my situation
        in Nigeria than I do to coming back home again - things like the lack of
        water and electricity - the pressure of intrusions into "my personal
        space", the bad roads and chaotic, anarchic traffic systems, living with
        more natural rhythms - waking at cock-crow - rising around dawn, going
        to bed fairly early (because the hurricane lamp or candles give little
        light) etc. Then I leave my friends still struggling with those everyday
        problems, and I come home to life as it is over here - flushing drinking
        water down the toilet, hardly aware of dawn or dusk, switching on lights
        as soon as it gets a bit gloomy - and of course using the Internet as
        effortlessly and I turn on a tap. And there is no more of the endless
        quizzing about how everyone slept, how everyone is in their health, how
        everyone's family is and so on. All those greetings can get a bit much
        - but I kind of miss them when they are gone.

        So - I was asked about direction.. I often say that I more or less know
        where I am trying to get to - but that getting there is rather like
        tacking across the wind.- something which can look, to casual
        spectators, like complete changes of direction, not purposeful progress.
        Every time I come back from a "reality check" visit it's like the wind
        and currents have changed and I have to get my bearings again and reset
        the course.

        So - I'll just touch on a few of the people and places and what I want
        to help to happen next. I won't try to explain how and why - or how come
        we are at this particular point. It would be too complicated. I can
        fill in such details later if anyone needs them in order to act.

        Bode - helping him with TT. I need to keep in contact with him now, so
        that he continues to develop his own positive experience of being part
        of an online community. He was very impressed when we were at the cyber
        cafe together and I was able to introduce him to Lorraine for a chat,
        and she was helping him to find web links that he needed. . Previously
        he had only seen chat used by other people at the cyber cafe for
        trivial purposes. usually involving a lot of lies and trying to impress
        people. He was delighted to discover it could be used usefully.

        It would be good if we could present a TT course together - or at least
        go over things in more detail together before he has a go on his own.
        I'm trying to get all the resources that I gave him easily available at
        Cawdnet Campus - with a view to sharing them with others too, and also
        gradually improving them. At present they are just as I used them myself
        when I was training teachers. I'd really like to do additional notes
        that would make the resources more useful to other trainers who have not
        been involved in their development.

        Bode is only going to do the "No-Computer Computer Course" part of
        Teachers Talking with his teachers at first, because he hasn't got any
        computers at his office/training centre.. He's hoping I might be able to
        get him a a second hand laptop from somewhere so he can also do some of
        the Hands-On Computers practical work. As far as TT-Online goes,
        anything he does of that will have to be at the cyber cafe.- so it is
        only likely to be possible for the most enthusiastic, because of the cost.

        I'm glad Bode and my OCDN friends are getting to know each other and are
        interested in how they might work together. Chief Adejumo (chairman of
        OCDN) has a long time concern with tackling corruption in local
        government. He was particularly interested to hear about some training
        that Bode is doing with various church groups, in the Lagos area, to
        help people be more aware of how local government should work, and about
        issues of accountability.

        I'll write about other people and places later.