Re: ginger group needed to help rural teacher in Nigeria

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
      Hi Pamela,
      It was great to speak with you by phone! and to get your letter.
      I also started replying. But for now I will simply share my notes that I
      wrote as we talked. I was trying to write how our response might unfold
      as we assist a learner who wishes to learn more and more.

      I have set up a page for the Ginger project at:
      http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays/Ginger
      The next step would be to reach out to some of our other groups
      including holistichelping@yahoogroups.com

      Benoit, thank you for writing! Andrius, http://www.ms.lt

      [16:07:50] minciusodas A) A list of contact people who are able to
      shepherd one through the process of fruitful learning
      [16:08:03] … where fruitful learning means that our learning experience
      builds public assets
      [16:08:19] … that we and others can build on further
      [16:08:37] … so others can learn from it and we can go back to it
      [16:08:46] … and we can assemble people who might be interested to take
      this all further
      [16:08:52] … and we can justify the help given to us
      [16:09:51] … B) The Shepherd forwards and/or writes a letter to an email
      group where there might be a response
      [16:10:16] … C) The letter and relevant responses get tagged for the
      future as at:
      [16:10:37] … http://del.icio.us/AndriusKulikauskas
      [16:13:59] … they get exposure to more people
      [16:14:02] … and we have them on reference
      [16:14:06] … and we can see them accumulate
      [16:14:19] … and the crucial thing is that it's public
      [16:14:35] … D) Then we create a wiki page
      [16:14:40] … which may grow into a subwiki
      [16:14:49] … So a Shepherd has to find a logical place for a wiki page.
      [16:15:33] … It starts, let's say, with a wiki page
      [16:15:42] … where there may be just a few links and they may accumulate.
      [16:15:53] … And maybe it stops there. Maybe that's all that's needed.
      [16:15:57] … But maybe...
      [16:16:16] … E) The single wiki page grows and there's a person who
      wants to make a subwiki based on it.
      [16:16:25] … So there's a person interested in the subject itself
      [16:16:30] … and is willing to help it grow
      [16:16:56] … and has online presence and skills
      [16:17:01] … which not everybody has
      [16:17:08] … As this grows....
      [16:25:19] … F) They find a host, a leader of a working group, who is
      willing to host their project so it can build momentum through emails,
      and so they can assemble people
      [16:25:59] … G) They might start to create materials or tools that
      people can use, which might include people who can't participate so
      intensely online
      [16:26:36] … H) They find a clear mature leader whose working group
      (perhaps a new group) is able to host the email discussions that are
      relevant
      [16:26:56] … I) At that point, as the subwiki is growing, and projects
      are taking place, it makes sense to overview it all with a linear course
      [16:27:07] … So we use the wiki to develop a course
      [16:27:19] … J) We set up Moodle to deliver such a course
      [16:28:30] … Some novel things that you've done that we should learn how
      to do:
      [16:28:45] … 1) Have a group available for helping others as needed like
      Teachers Talking
      [16:28:51] … 2) Have on the ground courses.
      [16:29:01] … 3) Have online events where people help each other.
      [16:29:49] … And there is the challenge of how do we make this available
      to people who are mostly offline.
      [16:30:13] … Let's this might mean in practice.
      [16:30:19] … Yes, we could start with the Ginger project.
      [16:30:43] … Yes, send that to Learning From Each Other.
      [16:32:28] … http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays

      "Learning From Each Other" is Pamela's key concept in life. Her
      investigatory question is "How do we use ICT to enable an educational
      system that lets self-directed learners be agents of their own
      learning?" Pamela is a school teacher in London with many years of
      experience with ICT for learning, notably in Nigeria. She is now
      traveling to Zambia. Helmut Leitner shares more about her at:
      http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?FindBetterWays/Learning/PamelaMcLean

      We spoke today for about an hour and a half. Pamela is very happy to
      host Paolo Pumilia and his colleagues who want to have permanent
      committee for organizing conferences about Open Content. Much of this
      content is for distance learning and self-learning. I also told Pamela
      about Maria Agnese Giraudo. I stayed with Agnese in Santa Marinella, not
      far from Rome. She is interested in local publishing of textbooks for
      primary and secondary students.