News from Lucas, thoughts on poultry farmers

  • ms@auste.elnet.lt
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2006
      Lucas,
      Thank you for updating us at your blog:
      http://www.ourculture.info/wiki.cgi?LucasGonzalezSantaCruz/Blog
      I share with our Mejores Vias and Learning From Each Other groups. I also
      share my reply. I'll be encouraging us to organize poultry farmers in
      Nigeria and around the world as people who might be most interested to share
      helpful information regarding a pandemic flu that we want to be prepared for.
      This would be great for our http://www.myfoodstory.com project
      -----------------------

      It feels like it's been a very long time since I don't come around this page.
      Since then I've been:
      * awaiting http://www.worldchanging.com/book and some other books on
      permaculture and stuff.
      * helping some local permaculturers (as time allows).
      * watching the translation of Dr Woodson's
      [http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Opinion.En-GoodHomeTreatment1 Good Home
      Treatment] manual. The first product will be his "Flu Treatment Kit".
      * learning lots about flu and
      [http://www.fluwikie2.com/pmwiki.php?n=Forum.IOMWorkshopModelingCommunityContainmentForPandemicInfluenza
      how to minimise waves]. Actually, the global community of flu warriors is
      [http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Opinion.OutlineSummary co-learning]
      [http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Opinion.ForumTopics a lot] - so much we
      don't know and need to know!

      My current summary about pandemic flu:
      * [http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ConfirmedCasesUpdated More
      cases] and
      [http://www.fluwikie.com/pmwiki.php?n=Science.GraphOfClusterSizeAndFrequencyOverTime
      visibly more clusters] of bird-flu in humans. At least one of the clusters
      was h2h2h (April 2006). "It could start at any time" - Dr Nabarro (UN).
      No-one knows when or how hard, but it could be H5N1, and there's no
      biological reason for H5N1 to give us a much lower Case-Fatality Ratio.
      * Aims: Make peak(s) lower and longer, so that at any one time more healthy
      people will be able to keep society running and will also be able to treat a
      smaller number of ill people.
      * What will work: social distance (tricky in Calcutta and Kibera, will need
      lots of creative thinking), simple masks and hand-washing (not sure which
      will have more effect, but both need some resources), good home care (this
      needs stocking up on some simple things and some simple knowledge), community
      self-reliance (food, water, energy, communications, care). Maybe statins
      (used to lower cholesterol levels, hence unexpensive, generic, stockable)
      will help treat cytokine storm, even at home.

      Andrius, sorry I haven't responded to your invitation; lately, my plate is
      more than full. Best wishes for the Lab and Networks!

      '''Comments'''

      AndriusKulikauskas: Lucas, thank you for your update! I will assume that the
      poultry farmers (for example, in Nigeria) are a logical network for sharing
      pandemic flu information (due to their self-interest that people be correctly
      informed and to regulate themselves). As we develop this, we will keep you in
      mind! Thank you for your important work! and for remembering us!
    • tom ochuka
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2006
        Dear Janet and Lucas,
        There is achool in oyugis about 50km ..out of kisumu
        city ..in this instution the deaf occasionally come to
        learn agriculture..but the challenge is now to be
        empowered for practice many abruptly chnge and we
        loose proffesionals so they end up on odd jobs.
        In one survey I interviwed aman who was looking fo
        apoultry keeper and many prefered the deaf to tis
        work.
        1 They handle this birs with zeal.
        2 They love to keep their proffesion and show
        effeciency
        3 They have great love for what they see producing.
        In kisumu ..whree eggs are on demand we can have an im
        proved way of helping this deaf so that thier
        potential is not wasted..
        We can empowe them to begin with ust few birds even
        the locals to begin with..are you able to give us new
        ways of dong this to this group of people.
        TOM OCHUKA.

        --- ms@... wrote:

> [...]
        > (used to lower cholesterol levels, hence
        > unexpensive, generic, stockable)
        > will help treat cytokine storm, even at home.
        >
        > Andrius, sorry I haven't responded to your
        > invitation; lately, my plate is
        > more than full. Best wishes for the Lab and
        > Networks!
        >
        > '''Comments'''
        >
        > AndriusKulikauskas: Lucas, thank you for your
        > update! I will assume that the
        > poultry farmers (for example, in Nigeria) are a
        > logical network for sharing
        > pandemic flu information (due to their self-interest
        > that people be correctly
        > informed and to regulate themselves). As we develop
        > this, we will keep you in
        > mind! Thank you for your important work! and for
        > remembering us!
        >

        > Each letter sent to Learning From Each Other enters
        > the PUBLIC DOMAIN unless it explicitly states

        mailto:learningfromeachother-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Sponsored Link

        For just $24.99/mo., Vonage offers unlimited local and long- distance calling.