Re: [learningfromeachother] flash

  • kayiwa fred
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
      --FLASH DRIVES
      Yes Andrius you asked me an ken to write about the
      flash
      What I can say is that they are sold and we can find
      people to sale to although few will like the content
      on it unless you first have to teach him/her

      Am sure they are much needed
      Not forgetting the point that in the city here there
      are now many people and shops for flash drives and
      mostly from china and India so they are almost
      reducing the price of hem every day and they look fake
      and duplicate because you hardly find the lasting for
      long as those you are sending.
      But the funny thing is that people in Africa buy cheap
      things though fake because they have less money
      perhaps

      Now I can see Indians sale 1GB at 30usd can imagine
      how much less than 1GB can cost now.
      However in rural and urban Area people have not got
      intrest in using them and they need to learn first.
      Thanks
      Kayiwa fred

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • ricardoolpc
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
        Hi Fred
        you may know this already, but it may surprise some readers :-

        The fake flash-drives that some people sell on eBay UK and other
        places are advertised as '1GB capacity', they have 1GB labels
        printed on them, 1GB on the packaging, and they report to the
        computer when you plug them in that they have '1GB file-space'.

        However, when you start filling them up with files, they save 'drive
        full' when you get to about 64MB or 128MB.

        They have electronic circuitry inside that lies about its capacity
        to the computer! They only have 64MB of flash memory inside, and
        fake programs in their microprocessor to lie about the size.

        Some fake goods that people buy work almost as well as the real
        famous-name brands, but fake flash-drives are terrible. You don't
        get anything like what you pay for. In some cases, they don't work
        at all.

        So, you need to buy flash-drives from a well-respected shop.

        Ricardo

        --- In learningfromeachother@yahoogroups.com, kayiwa fred

        _______________
        > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
        http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
        category=shopping

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2008
          Thank you Fred

          You raise some interesting points about information on flash drives and people needing to learn first.

          This touches on ideas and investigations that are dear to my heart. I am tempted to write what I have observed during my times teaching people in rural Nigeria and Kenya, and spending time with people there. The culture is very different. The relationships and dynamics around information and people is very unlike the relationships and dynamics here at home (and I would guess in many countries in Europe and North America etc).

          I won't go into any details of what I have observed. However I would ask people who are bandwidth rich to try to remember back to when they first started to use computers and the Internet. (It is hard to imagine how different life life used to be, and to realise how things have changed. It has not been easy to see the changes happening. It has all been more like water rising than like climbing stairs.) For those of us who are older it is possible to remember what it was like before we started to automatically turn to the Internet for information - and it is possible for us to remember that using the Internet for information was not a sudden natural behaviour.

          Even when I first had the Internet at home (1995) I still tended to use what I knew  - I phoned yellow pages for shops and services, I phoned  British Rail for travel details. My husband was always prompting me. "Why don't you look on the Internet?" It took a long time for me to change my behaviour from phone and visiting the library to using the Internet to find information. Imagine if I had not been in the habit of using my phone (if phones were still a novelty in my community)  or if there was no decent library in my town  - and very few books in my school. Imagine too that my teachers and parents had never encouraged me to ask questions, so I had grown up accepting the information that I was given. How much longer would it have taken me then to start thinking of using the Internet, or flash drives, to seek information.