Re: My Feedback on Funding/Peacemakers and Commanders/our mutual work

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2008
      I share my response to Janet and her letter is further below. Andrius

      Janet,

      Thank you for your personal letter, your much needed input. You know
      how many times I have asked for it and how I have tried to arrange to
      speak with you before every major decision I have made. I have had to
      make them without you and yet even with you in mind. I look forward to
      talking and to many more letters such as you write below. It is indeed
      what I have asked and wished from you since we started, which is to
      avail us the best of what you have, which I think is your own ongoing
      personal growth, and that includes especially not what you know, but
      what you don't know, yet want to know.

      The structure of the Pyramid of Peace is very streamlined and I think
      there is nothing more than there needs to be to achieve my own goal
      here, which is to stop any inclination to genocide. Therefore your
      critique is fundamental. I have tried to imagine what alternative
      culture you might have in mind, and I look forward to learning your vision.

      Your own deepest value "holistic helping" is, I venture, at the heart of
      the issue. I share what I have been discovering. I don't quite
      understand what you mean by "holistic helping", but I imagine that it
      says that for the truly difficult challenges life, there is no one
      dimension that is key. They are all key: personal and public,
      individual and communal, friend and stranger and enemy, spiritual and
      material, for free and for pay, local and global, strength and weakness,
      female and male, old and young, natural and technological, and so on. I
      venture this is the case whenever we are nurturing the good. I imagine
      that the HIV/AIDS challenge is one where this is especially true, where
      the organism - individual, societal - is weak and needs the full scope
      of love in order to grow strong or simply hold on. This all takes long
      work as I am sure you have found and as I have shown in ten years of
      work to nurture our Minciu Sodas laboratory.

      I jumped into the Kenyan crisis on the morning of January 2, 2008 and
      went straight into operation mode. I dealt with an immediate crisis
      which is how to apply our laboratory's capability to help our
      participants and all who they might help further. This generated the
      solution of working primarily with a single contact person in Kenya,
      Dennis Kimambo, who then distributed resources hierarchically. Even
      early on I was making sure that we were helping those who were outside
      of our network yet in even greater danger, such as Amos Obwanga in
      Eldoret, who we learned of from Samwel Kongere. By January 6, 2008 we
      had helped all of our own participants, and the country was calming
      down, but I noticed the strange fact that our Kenyans were reporting
      that they expected food shortages. It didn't make sense that there
      should be less food, unless something was keeping it from coming, which
      could very well be the road blocks that the Kalenjin youth were
      organizing. I was in a special position to see the potential crisis
      where the lack of food could lead to uncontrolled violence which could
      lead to genocide. I therefore personally mustered several thousand
      dollars, for example, calling up Jeff Buderer, Joe Damal, Edward Damal
      to whom I owed money, and asking if they could dedicate all or part to
      this crisis, and they agreed. I set into action a plan to reach out to
      the "benevolent Kalenjin". At the heart of this plan was embracing
      one's enemy and reaching out hierarchically to link up everybody to
      distribute resources to encourage such outreach, where people validate
      their allegiance by allowing us to publicly post their telephones, and
      reaching out to others to do likewise. This is the Pyramid of Peace.

      In this sense, the Pyramid of Peace is an organic solution to an
      immediate problem. I would say in important ways it's unholistic, and
      yet I hope is compatible with a holistic approach. The Pyramid of Peace
      is a leadership structure that focuses resources on "the root problem".
      As a leader, I have wrenching conversations, for example, with Ron
      Odhiambo to explain that I am very sad that his he may lose his house,
      but that I intend to pour all of our resources into Naivasha, because
      that is where the root problem is at that particular time. As it turned
      out, this was a successful decision, as not only did Rachel's team free
      that road, but so many other problems were solved, perhaps millions of
      dollars worth, aiding thousands of people. As a leader, I took
      responsibility, I chose the leaders, I suggested the strategy, I
      distributed the resources.

      I have done this in a vacuum of leadership. In our group, I am the one
      who is bold enough, sure enough, able enough, and loved enough to take
      upon myself the endeavor of rooting out any cause for genocide. In all
      of Kenya, the Pyramid of Peace is one of the very few groups directly
      working on this, and it's very likely that we are the most effective.
      In saying so, I include the government and the opposition. We are
      effective because we combine the Minciu Sodas culture that honors every
      individual, the network of people who have learned to work together in
      terms of their values, and my own willingness to apply vigorously all of
      the power that I am given.

      I think of holistic challenge as not having any single root problem.
      Dealing with the aftermath of a genocide is a holistic challenge. But
      preventing the instigation of a genocide may very well be an unholistic
      challenge. As I study the violence in Kenya, I see that most of it dies
      down naturally, yet in the weakness of the situation there is a
      methodical instigation of violence that is calculated to foment
      genocide. The weakness is holistic, but the instigators are not, and
      though they may be of various tribes, they certainly play off each
      other. I am fighting the instigators and that is the point of the
      Pyramid of Peace.

      I think that a holistic approach is greater than and includes this
      unholistic approach. Dealing with a root cause, rooting out a
      particular bad is one and only one dimension of fostering the good. I
      have structured the Pyramid of Peace to be harmonious with the greater
      holistic effort. Janet, all of the money that you and others have given
      has gone specifically as you have instructed, but any free money - at
      crucial times, from my own pocket - has gone towards the unholistic
      priority, whatever the problem of the day be. That is why we are so
      effective, we are a couple of moves ahead of any institution, and that
      is why I have to change our focus every two or three days. This is the
      sense in which I am the Commander and have been since the start of our
      operations. I am the one who decides where we need focus. There are
      many other projects and our structure serves them so that particular
      resources can match particular needs. Indeed, I have structured the
      Pyramid of Peace so that the various projects don't have to go through
      the central channel, but can work directly with any point of the
      pyramid. I generally inform people first of the possibility they have
      through Mamamikes.com to donate directly, and only then do I say that
      they can donate through the Pyramid of Peace. Certainly, others are
      free to start their own pyramids, and I encourage us. As for myself, I
      consult with every leader on-the-ground as to our operations and double
      check with them on any idea I may have. I also honor the projects of
      every online participant. In the end, the Pyramid of Peace, just like
      Minciu Sodas, is my project, and I make my decisions, and no decision is
      made unless I allow it. Yet I hand over the many decisions. This is
      the structure of the Pyramid of Peace: I have the authority, and I
      portion it wholeheartedly, and I encourage them likewise. This is the
      reason why we enjoy so many accounts of great leadership from all of
      Kenya, enough for an epic poem.

      I operated without challenge through all of January. Our leaders met in
      Nairobi on February 1, 2008. I knew that taken together they have the
      control over our operations and they could take that control. I have no
      control and desire none. Janet, the day before I had hoped to speak
      with you, because I wondered, what do I want? What happens now? So I
      wrote my thoughts about my role, how I understood myself, what my
      contribution is here, perhaps a very special one. And I figured out
      that my role and that of Minciu Sodas is to serve them as independent
      thinkers. And I told myself, let them figure out what they want to do,
      let them set the tone and the pace and the direction. I was surprised
      when I got the call at the end of their meeting, and I called them right
      back. I had asked them to make a plan for February and they did. And
      they wanted my backing, my input, and perhaps more, my approval. I gave
      support to their plan, which is a good one. And then I asked regarding
      my participation. Do they want me to lead? They said yes. May I be the
      Commander? And they laughed, but they agreed. They know exactly what I
      am talking about, the sense in which I am the Commander. I am the one
      who functions when there is a crisis, who comes up with the immediate
      solution, who suggests a creative possibility when there seem to be
      none, who makes sure that nobody will be forgotten, who is fair in
      distribution, who insists that they take care of themselves and each
      other, who remembers the point of the struggle, who halts one priority
      and starts up another, who understands the small risks to take and the
      big risks to avoid, who knows the real enemy and can hunt them down and
      embrace them, who applies power as far and wide and high and deep as it
      can reach, who will hold accountable everyone who is, who will stop when
      there is nothing to do, who is willing to look ridiculous, who is not
      afraid to ask for help, who will give to others rather than take for
      themselves, who will give of themselves when there is nothing else to
      give, who will stay with a person even as they meet their death, who
      asks a person what they truly want to do, and then commands them to do
      it, not for themselves but for all.

      Straightaway I appointed three Commanders: Dennis Kimambo +254 722 388
      275, Kennedy Owino +254 723 568 251, Rachel Wambui Kungu +254 721 626
      389 and we agreed that Rachel would serve as Commander-of-Operations for
      one week. I was very happy because this was the first chance I had to
      delegate the great responsibility I had taken.

      Dennis, Kennedy and Rachel are the three people who I know that have
      proven their ability to respond to the needs of all of Kenya, not just
      lead a particular mission. This is the very real sense in which they
      are Commanders. They are the three people and I with them who hold the
      real power of the Pyramid of Peace. We are the ones by which the
      Pyramid of Peace functions. They are free to walk away from me. I am
      free to walk away from them. If they want me to participate as I have,
      with all my heart and mind and soul and body, if they want me to apply
      myself completely, then I can do that if they give me all authority. In
      this sense, I am the Commander-in-Chief. They have given all that I ask
      for, and I have given back in return all they might want and more. When
      they don't want me to, they will walk away, and I will have no command.
      I have asked for this acknowledgement of my leadership for your sake and
      for all, so we understand the true situation. And that may quickly change.

      At the heart of the matter is that very few people are able to lead the
      operations that we have conducted. Among these people I have earned a
      special regard. At some point we hope that I will be unnecessary.
      Currently, my role as Commander-in-Chief is helpful in the following ways:
      * I appoint a Commander-of-Operations and therefore there is a clear leader.
      * I rotate them and therefore the power stays fluid, all have a chance
      to develop, and conflict is minimized.
      * I have set up the existing structure for the distribution of funds,
      and this does not have to be redone.
      * My integrity is passing test after test, as it must.
      * I have worked out a culture through our Minciu Sodas laboratory that
      fosters people's constructive behavior. I have designed the Pyramid of
      Peace accordingly and can pursue this further if I have the authority.
      * I am able to organize online support.
      * I am able to pursue our operations as a global issue, not a Kenyan issue.
      * I am able to develop a governance structure, as I am, that clarifies
      responsibility rather than obscure it, and grants authority rather than
      block it.
      * I may be able to organize a flow of resources.
      * I am able to link our efforts with other issues such as the COMMUNIA
      network for the Public Domain.
      * I am able to focus on the immediate "root cause", whatever it may be,
      and not get lost in the many longer term projects that suggest themselves.
      * I have created this role and performed delightfully, and who else can?
      * I am one more person who can help, and this is the way that I wish to.
      My tenure as Commander-in-Chief depends on these reasons. My authority
      depends on those few people who are able to command our operations.
      Certainly, I encourage many peacemaking forums, as there already are in
      Kenya, and certainly there should be more. I created the Pyramid of
      Peace to focus resources on the immediate root cause of genocide,
      whatever that may be.

      Janet, Pamela, Agnese, Ricardo, you have contributed from your heart the
      large share of donations. I think this is from your savings or your
      income. I have likewise contributed thousands of dollars, but they are
      not from savings, they are from loans. I have had to justify my
      expenses. Some of it is my obligations to care for people who have
      worked for me. Some of it is for building good will in a land where I
      am organizing people. Most of it is investing in the building of the
      Minciu Sodas laboratory's assets and business opportunities. I have
      developed millions of dollars worth of assets. We have accomplished
      perhaps the hardest part of what I proposed for the Knight News
      Challenge, which was to organize 1,000 Kenyans to provide news, and now
      that seems straightforward. And if my business venture fails here, then
      at least I have helped prevent genocide, and it is the business world
      that failed.

      I have already found one business opportunity, which is that Greg Wolff
      of Unamesa Association would organize an extra 10% of the money we raise
      to pay for our leaders to self-audit ourselves. This is a very good
      idea because I should NOT take any part of the money we get, it is
      important that 100% and more go to the emergency, which is of a
      different category than my personal livelihood. I have worked on this
      self-audit, but have not yet completed the wesbiste, I think for two
      reasons. None of our current donors has asked for much accounting yet
      because they see our open work and our clear results. A deeper reason
      is that I only ask for money for the Pyramid of Peace when there is a
      pressing need to address genocide. I don't ask money for our many
      projects because I think they are of a different character. A
      scholarship for Laura to attend NYIT and a camera for Tom Ochuka and
      even food for refugees each need their own funders and aren't the same
      as the sudden need to engage roadblockers or send airtime to avert
      violence. The first are morally optional and the second are morally
      not. The Pyramid of Peace are requests for help that can't be postponed
      or ignored. What this means, however, is that I can't and don't ask for
      such help in the same way when the violence subsides. This means that
      I'm doing job by NOT asking for help if the need is diminished.
      Therefore it is wrong to tie my own needs or those of our leaders to the
      amount of aid that we distribute. Our good work is not the amount of
      aid that we distribute but rather the moral exactness in our request for
      it and application of it.

      I have therefore concluded that it would be correct to have an outside
      source to fund my work and that of our Kenyan leaders. I should not
      have to care about any of my needs, which include paying back roughly
      100,000 USD of debt. Indeed, I may be the person who prevents a
      genocide. I should therefore be paid handsomely, no less than 5,000 USD
      per month, but certainly if that money is coming from a corporation or
      other institution. Furthermore, if I am paid handsomely, then that
      makes it all the more reasonable to pay our Kenyan leaders handsomely as
      well. They agreed to my rate and to a rate of 1,000 USD per month for
      themselves. Asking us to work for less would be callous and stupid and
      insulting. We're working for free as it is. Certainly, we welcome
      donations of all kinds, but if somebody believes our work and wants to
      be associated as an exclusive sponsor for anyone of us, then they should
      generous about it. I think this is a very correct approach and I would
      prefer that we allow each of our leaders to make their own decisions as
      to who they might take sponsorship from, so long as it is public and
      there are no terms or contracts. I will be aggressive in seeking
      sponsorship and other sources of income for our leaders. If our leaders
      are secure in their income, then we are free to work to raise for others
      and ensure that 100% goes to Kenyans, and I would like to raise 100,000
      USD in February for that.

      I expect the next challenge to my leadership to come at the meeting of
      the Pyramid of Peace in Kenya. By then I will propose a governance
      structure. I want more of us to be able to prove ourselves as
      Commanders. I have created the title of Peacemaker for all who have
      proven they can lead a mission. All are welcome to acknowledge others
      as Peacemakers and document their stories which we will post at the
      Pyramid of Peace website. I think the governance structure that I
      propose will explain how one becomes a Commander and how and why they
      select a Commander-in-Chief and how they organize their authority. We
      are organizing local leaders, I think that they should serve at the
      request of the Commander-of-Operations, so that rotations can be made.
      I expect also there will be a body of Peacemakers which is more
      democratic and which is the organ that frames the overall message of the
      Pyramid of Peace, much as with the current press release, and decides
      the longer term priorities. Certainly, we would benefit from a body of
      supporters or elders from the online world, and they are outside any
      command structure. This is not a structure of equals, as in these
      operations we are not equal in what we are investing and what we must
      do, yet it will be a structure in which all can be equal. And the
      structure will keep evolving.

      Janet, you write "I am becoming rather concerned to bring more of my own
      network of contacts into such a scenario and structure." This is the
      essence of all the structure of the Pyramid of Peace. You use your
      authority to decide who you will bring in or not. I do likewise. Yet I
      turn no one away or keep them from going. I have set up the Pyramid of
      Peace so that it is transparent and each Kenyan can be an authority and
      each can be invited into other structures and even leave this one along
      with all who follow their authority.

      Janet, I propose that you or your colleagues at Holistic Helping and/or
      Act Alive organize an additional structure that would reflect your
      culture. I think that then our two structures will find a way to work
      together and even to mesh into one. We will have the best of both. I
      look forward to speaking with you.

      My main concern in my work is to be able to focus my energies on
      whatever is the immediate root cause of genocide, because I don't see
      anybody else with such intense focus. I also want authority to shape
      the culture of the structure that results as part of my vision for a
      culture of independent thinkers. I therefore wish to serve as
      Commander-in-Chief so that my role is understood. I have been confirmed
      by the three people capable of leading the operations of the Pyramid of
      Peace. I will stick with them if they stick with me.

      My position is also that our authority is beyond that of the states, the
      institutions, the corporations, even as we respect them, but we are not
      under them, as their dysfunction is the cause for our being the Pyramid
      of Peace. In this sense, our cause is not limited to Kenya or to anything.

      Should I not be needed or desired as Commander-in-Chief, then I end my
      service. I will hand over my functions to others and focus on my own
      needs to make a living. I have made my contribution.

      Thank you to all in Kenya and online who have brought us peace even as
      we include others in our peace.

      Janet, Thank you for your love and concern today and these many years.

      Pyramid of Peace, Commander-in-Chief, http://www.pyramidofpeace.net
      Minciu Sodas, Direktorius, http://www.ms.lt
      +370 699 30003, Vilnius, Lithuania